Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 03:33 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
On the one hand Greenville is putting out a great big welcome sign to the world, but on the other hand there is a fear of losing what makes this place special.
This is what I've been saying.

Yeah, around here we pretty much say "what church do you go to?" even among kids because it's rare to get a "my isn't Christian" answer.

I'm glad that somebody other than myself told people that, yes, we do have bigots here. A youth leader at my church said the word "q*eer" once or twice. Even if he doesn't agree with it I'm not so sure he's supposed to say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 04:25 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Greenville: "what church do you go to"
Columbia: "what do you do"
Charleston: "what family are you with"

Old 03-29-2008, 04:42 PM

354 posts, read 1,077,361 times
That's funny......LOL

Old 03-29-2008, 06:32 PM

511 posts, read 1,522,176 times
Default southeners

I believe you will be fine. Don't be fooled we have our share of sideways hats and droopy pants here as well. I am not saying it is wrong I am just telling you it is here. I think you will find that we are probably comprable to most every other state--everyone raises their children different, some people go to church and some do not. My youngest will be 28 this year and they were not allowed to hit him in public school.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:36 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
your son is 28 and still in public school? just kidding!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Kids are well behaved and respectful if they are taught the importance of it. It has nothing to do with North or South.
I disagree. While I think it is how you are taught, the South is more mannerly. My mom (from Ohio) once asked a kid when we were on a trip where they were from and he said Alabama. She said she knew where they were from because he was so polite.

When I was in Chicago I believe I said yes ma'am to someone and got a few weird looks.

This is not to say yankee kids can't be polite. I think in school the transplants are the ones that aren't always as respectful.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:17 PM

169 posts, read 570,518 times
As a newby, I must say I have noticed that the children here are more apt to say "hello or Hey" first and ask how you are doing than back up North where we are from. They are friendlier-must get it from their parents, who also seem much friendlier. We had family visit us and they also noticed that people here are nicer than back home.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:28 PM

Well I say if you come here you might as well be just as friendly. Friendliness and manners cause more friendliness and good manners.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:04 PM

617 posts, read 2,571,875 times
This one time (last summer) in NYC I held the door for a guy walking into McDonald's and he looked at me like I was insane, and then he continued without a thank you. I yelled "you're welcome" to the back of his head because I know he wanted to say it . I still haven't figured out if it was because I was young (18) or simply because he's not used to such extreme politeness (which, around here, isn't so extreme...almost expected).

Old 03-29-2008, 11:19 PM

282 posts, read 750,717 times
Acadian Irish,
I think that you will just fit here fine! Some Catholic churches in the area are St. Mary's ( www.stmarysgvl.org ), Our Lady of the Rosary (Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church and School, Greenville, SC ), St. Anthony ( St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church Home ), Prince of Peace ( Welcome to Prince of Peace Catholic Church), St. Mary Magdalene (Saint Mary Magdalene Church ), Blessed Trinity ( Blessed Trinity ), St. Luke's ( I don't have their website, but their phone number is (864) 855-9039‎). I put this last one in because it is about 6 or 7 miles from the Acadia development. This is only a partial list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area