Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:30 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I think the proper word in this case would be "bigot." I would like to know precisely what gives any of us the right to put up a fence around our city because we feel that the good Southern people are here now and that is the way it should remain. I just don't understand the logic behind such selective intolerance.
I'm not a bigot. My mother is from the North. Guess what? She moved here and then came along about 10 other people including their children.

I suppose it is hard for you to understand being that your parents moved here from the North. It is your town as you've grown up here but here but a lot of people have been in this region (not just Greenville) so far back they don't even know where their family's ancestry originally came from. The roots run deep.

This is the South, we have a culture here and it should be preserved.

I don't have any personal hatred towards Yankees that come here. I see it a bit like having a favorite place to pick berries. Soon a lot of other people hear about how great this berry picking place is and decide they want to pick at the same place. Most will be nice and kind but they still change what makes this berry picking place special whether they mean to or not. Soon enough, the great berry place they came to won't be that different from the place they left. All the while, the original berry-pickers get to watch their favorite spot flourish, yet die. Sorry for this long confusing analogy..

I get the feeling you don't particularly like the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 03:51 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,808 times
I would say that respectfull kids are not specific to any region more so than others. In every state you will find unruly children as well as well mannered ones. It is about the parents, not so much the children or where their from.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:51 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Guestposter, you obviously fail to embrace change for what it is. You cannot do anything to stop change, however you have the ability to affect change for the better or for the worse. Or you can just sit there and let it bowl you over, complaining endlessly about "the way things were perfect back in the old days." You seem extremely out of touch about this reality and have placed yourself on an imaginary elevated plateau where you like to look down on people from the North. That is why our fellow U.S. citizens from the North often hesitate before moving into this area. How can you not see that you are the person you fear most?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:29 PM

I look down on no one from the North. While I like that people improving Greenville and are trying to plan for the future, it won't do anything for what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure I understand your last question.

but you never particularly responded to my early statement so I'll form it in a question: do you like the South?

Old 04-05-2008, 03:21 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
If 829 posts (plus thousands more on other forums) of support and praise for the South (particularly this region) deserves to be questioned, then either I am not speaking clearly enough, or you are not able to see the obvious. I see that you are afraid of change and are unwilling to do anything beyond constantly whining about it on this forum. If you really want to preserve the "untainted Southernness" for future generations, you have the ability to form a society or monastery of your own somewhere in a rural area. You might even find others who will join you there. Personally, I have no problem with accents changing and fresh cultural influences mingling with the traditional in this area.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
If 829 posts (plus thousands more on other forums) of support and praise for the South (particularly this region) deserves to be questioned, then either I am not speaking clearly enough, or you are not able to see the obvious. I see that you are afraid of change and are unwilling to do anything beyond constantly whining about it on this forum. If you really want to preserve the "untainted Southernness" for future generations, you have the ability to form a society or monastery of your own somewhere in a rural area. You might even find others who will join you there. Personally, I have no problem with accents changing and fresh cultural influences mingling with the traditional in this area.
So why are you still here? It sounds like you don't like it. I would not have seen your 829 posts as I'm new to this forum

I honestly have no problems experiencing other cultures but they seem to take away the one that's already here.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:18 PM

22 posts, read 56,237 times
Sounds like the stepford wives club, I was going that way, but I think not.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:42 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
I'll grab the popcorn.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:37 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,834 times
Quote:
If you really want to preserve the "untainted Southernness" for future generations, you have the ability to form a society or monastery of your own somewhere in a rural area. You might even find others who will join you there.
Did anyone else think "KKK"?

Old 04-07-2008, 01:00 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
I agree that culture shock has hit everywhere. When Charlton Heston died I wrote on another board that he might be disappointed when he gets to Heaven since God loves everyone, regardless of race or color and that the angels probably don't carry guns! However, after reading what he actually said in his speeches, not what the media wanted us to hear, I felt a little differently about him.

I hope I don't offend anyone, since I do not discriminate against a person because of his/her color or nationality. In fact, I've been accused of being a Liberal many times. However, who can say that our culture hasn't been challenged when you go to an ATM and have to select English or Spanish? I figure if the money coming out of it is green and has a picture of an American president on it, then the only language up on that screen should be English.

The reason I am posting here tonight is that the OP struck a nerve. My parents used to say "Children should be seen and not heard." (I grew up in Boston.) Hearing that really hurt, so I also believe children should be encouraged to express themselves. However, there is certainly nothing wrong with teaching children to speak respectfully to adults. Actually, I wish someone would teach adults to speak respectfully to other adults! Wouldn't that be a wonderful world to live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area