Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:47 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The reason I am posting here tonight is that the OP struck a nerve. My parents used to say "Children should be seen and not heard." (I grew up in Boston.) Hearing that really hurt, so I also believe children should be encouraged to express themselves. However, there is certainly nothing wrong with teaching children to speak respectfully to adults. Actually, I wish someone would teach adults to speak respectfully to other adults! Wouldn't that be a wonderful world to live in?
LOL, I've wanted to say "Adults should be seen and not heard" on more than a few occassions.

BTW, I agree with you. I like silence and think that too many people "open mouth and insert foot" as they say. But I also knew a family that was too strict about this with the kids, and the result was one kid broke his arm, came home, and then didn't say anything for 2 hours because the parents were watching tv and had told the kid that they didn't want to hear anything he had to say. This was in Cleveland, Ohio by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngentleman View Post
The average Southern citizen is neither a redneck nor Territorial ,but will often joke with those from regions beyond the mason-Dixon and call them "a Yankee" . This is usually done in a lighthearted manner and means no harm! How ever the term Damn Yankee,is usually reserved for those that have irritated one.
Southerners also do realize that We are often stereotyped by the media and by most outsiders as slow, dim-witted, racist, hillbilly, backwards, and even as Elitist. They envision us as everything from Tara dwelling aristocrats in white suits ...to being shoeless, and living in dilapidated plantation homes.We realize that these romanticised versions of the Moonlight and Magnolia mystic that what is conjured up most often in the minds of those who have never visited the south. Most are often surprised at the rich diverse tapestry of the region when they do visit. Bewildered at the thriving metropolitan cities as Atlanta an Charlotte, Astonished that the Appalachian region has modern amenities and even great institutions of higher education, They quickly learn that there is much more to the South than was thought.
This Moonlight and Magnolia mystic is why we see so many people from all over the country ,who while never setting foot on southern soil ,desire to live in the South in their own utopia.
Also outsiders must remember that along with our rich heritage comes a perchance to be slightly distrusting of outsides until we have judged them individually. We will always be cordial to your face,but will reserve the right to discern your intentions. Carpetbaggers syndrome takes a while to overcome,so don't tell us to get over the war,don't lecture us on this that or another. But If you want to become fellow Southerners then you are always welcomed.
Also rember that we are inclined to revel and play "country dumb", it's a regional pastime.

AMEN. Beautifully said.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 PM

19 posts, read 41,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i value southern traditions. i live on the coast and have seen the damage done. spock lied, time out does not work. more violent, more unruly than 30 years ago. the south produces most of our soldiers. discipline, family, loyalty, fidelity, perseverance & courage, these are southern traditions, these are military traditions. we learn them or don't learn them young. we cannot bear to see our children denied what we did not have, of course that was what made us strong.
"discipline, family, loyalty, fidelity, perseverance & courage"---did the south copy right these? or can i raise my family that way if i am from the north?

"the south produces most of our soldiers"---where did you get your stats?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Kids are well behaved and respectful if they are taught the importance of it. It has nothing to do with North or South.
Enough said, well put!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I disagree. While I think it is how you are taught, the South is more mannerly. My mom (from Ohio) once asked a kid when we were on a trip where they were from and he said Alabama. She said she knew where they were from because he was so polite.

When I was in Chicago I believe I said yes ma'am to someone and got a few weird looks.

This is not to say yankee kids can't be polite. I think in school the transplants are the ones that aren't always as respectful.

"the South is more mannerly" --is this a proven fact?, I grew up in Pittsburgh and the people there are just as friendly as any city in the country.

"My mom (from Ohio)"--- do you call your mom a yankee?

I was raised in the North and I say please/thank you, I hold doors for people, I even say hi to complete strangers. Obviously I was raised by a wonderful family and it has nothing to do with where I am from. You seem to think that people from the south should follow all of these traditions, like respect your elders, yet from many of your posts you seem to disrespect people who are clearly your elder. This is probably because your mom is from the north and did not know how to raise you in the proper southern fashion

I want to move to Greenville because the people are so nice and things do move a little slower there. I currently live in Florida and it is nothing but rude people that would run you over to get ahead. The pace down here is super fast and everyone is playing "keeping up with the Jone's". I believe in strong family values and I could care less what people think about the way I raise my children.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Well I say if you come here you might as well be just as friendly. Friendliness and manners cause more friendliness and good manners.

Well said!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:41 AM

269 posts, read 1,010,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
AMEN. Beautifully said.
Thank you Kimmie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area