Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 AM

354 posts, read 1,078,005 times

Advertisements

I can totally understand what guestposter24 is saying. I come from an area of Canada called the Maritimes. It is a slower pace of life, very safe, etc. In my opinion there is no other place in Canada like it. The only reason we aren't living there is because of my husband's occupation.
There is a lot of changes happening there in the past few years......some good....some not so good. It would be a shame to see such a place change and lose the idenity that makes it special.
Just like Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 09:27 AM

Let me add however, guestposter, that the way you are going about saying what you want to say on other topics in this forum can make you sound like a racist. People who are looking to move there are usually very nervous and are just looking for some reassurance that there are some "nice" people there who will welcome us. Most people realize they aren't going to have the welcome mat rolled out by everyone......

Old 04-02-2008, 04:50 PM

620 posts, read 2,119,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
You came here. We didn't come to you. It was just a suggestion. sheesh. Whether or not you mean to, you do contribute to changing people.

Yes, and you'd wonder when our families have been here some 250+ years. Of course it scares people when the culture slips away so quickly (or slowly).
Do you really think the South is/was the only place that is experiencing this? North, South, East, West and all around the world - places change and people evolve. It is a fact of life and I am sorry that it bothers you so much.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:10 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Do you really think the South is/was the only place that is experiencing this? North, South, East, West and all around the world - places change and people evolve. It is a fact of life and I am sorry that it bothers you so much.
Yes but the South is the most distinct out of those regions.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadianIrish View Post
Let me add however, guestposter, that the way you are going about saying what you want to say on other topics in this forum can make you sound like a racist. People who are looking to move there are usually very nervous and are just looking for some reassurance that there are some "nice" people there who will welcome us. Most people realize they aren't going to have the welcome mat rolled out by everyone......
I'm not sure where I said anything racist anywhere. I am not a racist person.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:43 AM

I'm not saying you are racist.....in fact, I'm quite certain you aren't because I understand what you are trying to say in your posts. It's just that not everyone hears your message the way you are intending them to hear it....when they are reading it. Writing is funny/tricky like that. Effective communication and dialogue is made up of many factors. What you say could take on many meanings depending on tone, body language, facial expressions, etc.

People writing/reading forums don't have the advantage of all those other components in assessing what you are saying.......therefore, when you make a statement.......it is taken literally....and keep in mind.....the person hearing the message has their own unique set of experiences/views on life so they hear sometimes what they think you said.

Does that make sense?

Old 04-04-2008, 12:38 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
I think the proper word in this case would be "bigot." I would like to know precisely what gives any of us the right to put up a fence around our city because we feel that the good Southern people are here now and that is the way it should remain. I just don't understand the logic behind such selective intolerance.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:44 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,853,502 times
I am still waiting to hear if the Catawba Indian tribe of south carolina enjoyed their souther hospitality and traditions that guestposter speaks of. I kid cause I love.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:50 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Sorry if this is off-topic.
I didn't have a job when I first got to Greenville. After the first two interviews in this town, I thought I had moved to the twilight zone.
Exactly. I observed exactly the same thing when I interviewed with a very large turbine manufacturer in Greenville that has two letters in the company name.

During the interview, this guy was very careful to explain that there is a cultural "difference" and that a lot of the employees live in certain neighborhoods, and more or less "stick together". He was very insistent in knowing whether me and my family could adapt to a "different" sort of culture.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadianIrish View Post
I'm not saying you are racist.....in fact, I'm quite certain you aren't because I understand what you are trying to say in your posts. It's just that not everyone hears your message the way you are intending them to hear it....when they are reading it. Writing is funny/tricky like that. Effective communication and dialogue is made up of many factors. What you say could take on many meanings depending on tone, body language, facial expressions, etc.

People writing/reading forums don't have the advantage of all those other components in assessing what you are saying.......therefore, when you make a statement.......it is taken literally....and keep in mind.....the person hearing the message has their own unique set of experiences/views on life so they hear sometimes what they think you said.

Does that make sense?
Yes, it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area