Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 11:06 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,055,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I think the main problem was adding groceries muddied the business focus for Target. Target used to be a place to go and find a better quality of clothes and household items than you could find at Walmart. You paid a bit more but the quality was better. In recent years, it seems that Walmart has improved the quality of their offering a bit while Target has slipped a bit. Now Target offers products that are still more expensive than Walmart while offering little in the way of better quality.

In reading about how they handled their Canadian expansion, "disaster" seems to be an apt word. That combined with their credit card issue a year or so ago have hampered the chain quite a bit. I would be surprised to see much expansion anywhere for Target in the near future. The upstate could support additional stores in Easley/Powdersville, Travelers Rest / Cherrydale, and several other locations but I doubt we see any additional locations any time soon.
I do have to agree with this. I don't see any better products in Target than Walmart. Target is also are more expensive for the same product. Walmart has really improved their standards in their products. Just about everything I buy, that is Great Value, is just as good as the name brand.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:38 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I do have to agree with this. I don't see any better products in Target than Walmart. Target is also are more expensive for the same product. Walmart has really improved their standards in their products. Just about everything I buy, that is Great Value, is just as good as the name brand.
I remember a few years back when they had a recall on peanut butter, the only two products in the recall were Peter Pan and Great Value brands. In many cases, the store brands are made by one of the national brands. Sometimes they vary the recipe they use but they are usually pretty similar. For spaghetti sauce, the Great Value brand is lower in sugar than Prego or Ragu, but I think both of those are too sweet so I actually like the store brand better in that case.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:58 PM

690 posts, read 1,146,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
I was over that way just last week. Many if not all of those "dark areas" are already under construction. And, personally, I suspect Collett wouldn't show those businesses unless either contracts or at least letters of intent were already signed.
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:40 PM

503 posts, read 692,851 times
Quote:
I think the main problem was adding groceries muddied the business focus for Target. Target used to be a place to go and find a better quality of clothes and household items than you could find at Walmart. You paid a bit more but the quality was better. In recent years, it seems that Walmart has improved the quality of their offering a bit while Target has slipped a bit. Now Target offers products that are still more expensive than Walmart while offering little in the way of better quality.

In reading about how they handled their Canadian expansion, "disaster" seems to be an apt word. That combined with their credit card issue a year or so ago have hampered the chain quite a bit. I would be surprised to see much expansion anywhere for Target in the near future. The upstate could support additional stores in Easley/Powdersville, Travelers Rest / Cherrydale, and several other locations but I doubt we see any additional locations any time soon.

Both of those areas were supposed to get stores but when the news broke the stores before target corp. could finish laying all the ground work Corporate has a hissy fit and said forget it and instead we got walmarts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If Target wants to enhance its grocery section, it should focus on expanding it into a full supermarket and upgrading the store to a SuperTarget. I do not know how close the Greenville area was or if the idea rose of getting a SuperTarget.
Target will NEVER build a super target in this area we are too small in their eyes. I had talked to some of the upper managers when we had walks when I worked for them and they all said the area can not support a super target based on their corporate figures. Jokes on them now I guess.

I mean when we did our remodel to add food to the Woodruff Rd. store I asked them why we didnt expand the store into the lot to the right side of the building and they said because nobody can build there because its wetlands. Guess what 6 months later a freaking hotel builds there and its because the company is CHEAP, heck they didnt want to even replace the carpet at the front of the store at first it took an act of god to get that replaced. That remodel crippled that stores backroom and sales floor space and they still wouldn't spend the money expand it to help out. I even suggested maybe getting rid of some of our sporting good aisle to save space for other things since we had like 3 sporting goods stores within a minute of us and nobody bought that crap from us and they said nope we just need to pack it in more.

That store went through so many managers when I was there I could write a book about all the Clemson grads that came and went. Turnover is so so so high, If target really wanted to fix things they need to pull their collective heads out of their butts and wake up and talk to the little guy that's busting their butts for nothing in the stores. That is going to be the only way they can turn things around.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:30 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,047 times
Looks like Target gave up on their Canada money pit today: Target to shutter all stores in Canada

Ten years ago, Target had a good focus and a winning concept. Things have certainly changed since then.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:43 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,127 times
Just saw this listing for Cianciola's deli and market as a new business coming to downtown Greenville:

Downtown deli and market opening soon

Old 01-17-2015, 09:53 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,012,126 times
Quote:
Looks like Target gave up on their Canada money pit today: Target to shutter all stores in Canada

Ten years ago, Target had a good focus and a winning concept. Things have certainly changed since then.
Best move they could be make leaving.

You guys are being to rough on Target. They had big sales increases during holiday shopping season including their online sales continuing into January now. They have a new CEO and are planning to double down on their fashion and home furnishings business again. They had to expand their food business during the Great Recession of the last 6 years because people had slowed down on clothing and home furnishing purchases. It provided sales increases at the stores they tested so they rolled it out. Not a bad decision IMO when economy was tanking.

Many retailers have been hacked including many we don't even know about. Your at risk anywhere you use a card. Big Deal. Why would anyone stop shopping at a store they like because of that? Don't the hackers win. Ridiculous to do that just keep an eye on your balances/activity daily and let the banks know right away if you have issues so they can fix it best thing you can do in this day and age.

Most all retailers slowed on expanding new locations during the recession. Target had plans before hand for East Main in Spartanburg and Poinsett Hwy across from Publix before the recession. I would look for them to dust them off again eventually if the economy sustains its growth even though they are concentrating now on rolling out the smaller formats in the US now like CityTarget and Target Express.

Target will be just fine.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:02 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,012,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastermaster83 View Post
Both of those areas were supposed to get stores but when the news broke the stores before target corp. could finish laying all the ground work Corporate has a hissy fit and said forget it and instead we got walmarts.

Target will NEVER build a super target in this area we are too small in their eyes. I had talked to some of the upper managers when we had walks when I worked for them and they all said the area can not support a super target based on their corporate figures. Jokes on them now I guess.
Those managers were wrong.Target had plans for a SuperTarget at Pelham and Garlington Road about 8-10 years ago but the planning was not approved because the residents along Garlington didn't want it supposedly because of the added traffic. Everyone is terrified of a little extra traffic around here for some reason.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:28 PM

503 posts, read 692,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Those managers were wrong.Target had plans for a SuperTarget at Pelham and Garlington Road about 8-10 years ago but the planning was not approved because the residents along Garlington didn't want it supposedly because of the added traffic. Everyone is terrified of a little extra traffic around here for some reason.
It was never a super target it was just I regular one. I know where you are talking about and Ive seen the studies they did on it. The plan was originally to build that store there as a regular one and then shut down woodruff rd and expand it and possible make it a super but it never happened because like you said everyone is scared of a little traffic.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:22 AM

453 posts, read 646,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank12 View Post
2) Woodruff road down from Fuddruckers after the tracks. They have been working on this new building there for quite some time. Used to be a gas station- Blue Jay (caddy corner from Red Robin Gas) The one side we are getting a Tijuana Flats which is another Burrito joint. Wondering what is going next to it with the orange awning. I have bets with a few of my friends since June on what possibly they can put there.
The other side of the building is Stanton Optical, which is open now. I think the doors opened in the past week or two.

I might be misremembering what the banner said, but Tijuana Flats is slated to open on Monday.

Elsewhere on Woodruff Rd., Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers has been discussed in this thread a few times before. It opens today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area