Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 12:42 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times

Advertisements

I would love to see Checkers return to the region. Good seasoned fries and burgers. But in recent years they have pulled out of the Upstate and have closed several locations down in Georgia near Atlanta. So they may now have a challenge making a comeback, especially with the arrival of competitors Cook-Out, Culver's, and others. But I wish them success but remains to be seen.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:33 PM

29 posts, read 29,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I would love to see Checkers return to the region. Good seasoned fries and burgers. But in recent years they have pulled out of the Upstate and have closed several locations down in Georgia near Atlanta. So they may now have a challenge making a comeback, especially with the arrival of competitors Cook-Out, Culver's, and others. But I wish them success but remains to be seen.

and don't forget IHOP is now in the burger scene!

Old 06-21-2018, 04:21 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,182,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I recently bought frozen Checkers french fries at Publix - very reasonably priced - some of the best home baked FF I've ever had
Only fries I will buy!!!

Old 06-21-2018, 10:00 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Checkers constructed a restaurant at 3009 Wade Hampton Boulevard, Taylors, South Carolina 29687-2715, indeed. The restaurant never opened. Why waste time and money into a location that will never operate?

Here was my thought on that, and.. I have no facts to back this up.. But, I thought back in 2012 to 2013 or so, when all the Checkers closed, that they pulled out of the market. I thought those were corporate stores, but.. Whoever mentioned the franchisee may know more than I, so, I'd certainly defer to them. But, I thought corporate built that one on Wade Hampton and then decided to exit the market, so, just finished the building but never opened it.

Whoever mentioned Myrtle Beach.. @jandrew5.. One minor correction.. Myrtle Beach has none. That one apparently closed in Feburary. Surfside Beach Checkers restaurant closes | Myrtle Beach Sun News

I did find an article about them opening 'up to 10' in Charleston.. No idea how many are there.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:33 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Also appears we have the answer to the removal of Red Burrito from Hardee's lately.

Hardee's distancing itself from Carl

Looks like CKE is going to separate the restaurants more.. Allowing Hardee's to perhaps go back to what they were before they were bought.. Focusing on breakfast (a giant "duh" there.. It's the best part of Hardee's) and apparently bringing back the fried chicken again.

I've said it here before.. When Hardee's had chicken, if you got it fresh.. It was about the best chicken around. And if they bring back the peach cobbler.. I'm in.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:29 AM

4 posts, read 6,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
I think there was a Checkers near Taylors Square / Walmart Supercenter 3009 Wade Hampton. I didn't pay attention whether it was open, but it later became some sort of Loan shop.

It was open for a little while because I remember eating there. In fact, they had an offer that if you brought in your WalMart receipt for the current day you would get either a discount or free item w/purchase, I can't remember exactly.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:56 AM

33 posts, read 36,145 times
Does anyone know what will replace the Old Ruby Tuesday, if anything at all?

Old 06-22-2018, 08:15 PM

503 posts, read 693,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I recently bought frozen Checkers french fries at Publix - very reasonably priced - some of the best home baked FF I've ever had

Yeah I grew up in Florida where checkers got its start and though its nice to have the fries those bagged ones are thinner than the ones you get from the restaurant so I prefer the real thing. I think they are thinner to make them cook better in the oven but man when that store in TN opened and I tasted that first fresh fry from the bag after ordering it was like heaven.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:47 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Also appears we have the answer to the removal of Red Burrito from Hardee's lately.

Hardee's distancing itself from Carl

Looks like CKE is going to separate the restaurants more.. Allowing Hardee's to perhaps go back to what they were before they were bought.. Focusing on breakfast (a giant "duh" there.. It's the best part of Hardee's) and apparently bringing back the fried chicken again.

I've said it here before.. When Hardee's had chicken, if you got it fresh.. It was about the best chicken around. And if they bring back the peach cobbler.. I'm in.
CKE has adopted a separate marketing strategy for Hardee's and Carl's Jr. Hardee's will be more down home, heartland theme and Carl's will be more urban. But both will still use the same Happy Star logo, although Hardee's has returned to their old orange logo in some of their advertising.

But I still think they should include 2 Carl's Jr flagship sandwiches at Hardee's, the Superstar Cheeseburger and the Big Carl, which would be the same as the Big Twin. Both of these double burgers feature special sauces and would compete with the Big Mac at McDonald's. Those 2 sandwiches should be featured at both brands. The Superstar has a red relish sauce and the Big Carl (Twin) has the 1000 Island sauce.

And now Carl's has adopted the Hardee's breakfast biscuits, but it is unlikely the Roy Rogers fried chicken is returning to Hardee's. I believe they will continue with the chicken strips.

And CKE has brought Car''s Jr. to the East Coast in New York and New Jersey, as it is believed to have more urban appeal than the Hardee's brand. I predict next Carl's Jr. may expand to Northern Virginia, Maryland, and DC where Hardee's previously failed after an unsuccessful Roy Rogers conversion. But get just a few miles down the road to Fredericksburg in Virginia, and Hardee's performs very well there.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:33 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Also in Mauldin on E. Butler at Bon Air Street a sign is up in the former convenience store/meat market. Driving too fast to catch anything more on this property.
The building on that corner has been razed, presumably in preparation for a new building for Arnold's that is coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area