Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Taken a Firearm Safety or CCW Class?
NRA Basic Pistol or Rifle/Shotgun - OR BSA, 4H 24 40.68%
Hunter Safety 22 37.29%
Concealed Weapon Permit Class 34 57.63%
NRA Advanced Armed Defense Class - Prot. In/Out of Home 9 15.25%
Other Advanced Training Course(s) - Elaborate 13 22.03%
Military 25 42.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:31 PM

19,762 posts, read 22,666,896 times

Advertisements

In order of age/receipt:

NRA Youth safety
Youth Competition .22 team
BSA Rifle and Shotgun Merit Badge
Hunter Safety (MD)
US Army- qualified expert rifle, grenade
US Army- Shooting team (w/reserve unit) .45 ACP (1994-95-96)
WV Hunter safety- 3(x)
Montana Hunter Safety 1(x)
Montana Bow proficiency / test

I take hunter safety every few years just because it is a good reminder of safety afield. Montana's hunter safety in rural areas is EXCELLENT. You practice safe handling afiled (such as crossing fences, with a partner) and you also learn bear safety and awareness as well as spending time testing both with a rifle and a shotgun. They also have an archery proficiency course/test which was also outstanding. There is no lack of training opportunities in this state.

I'm a firm believer in doing these things every few years. I take the MSF motorcycle safety course every few years too. It's a good time to unlearn new bad habits, meet new friends and continue riding (and shooting) safely.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:37 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
I have taken 2 basic safety and when I move out of CA next year I will probably take FOF classes and CCW

Old 11-06-2015, 04:35 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You're "supposed to" store your gun and ammo separately? Says who? The Brady Bunch? Criminals?

It's always amusing when people who know nothing about guns have so much to say about them.
This is exhibit A of someone who doesn't know squat about gun safety but probably thinks he/she is the safest gun owner in the world. This is a huge problem. The ignorance is putting everyone around him/her in danger.

From the State of CA, Attorney General's web site:

Quote:

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/tips

Store your gun safely and securely to prevent unauthorized use. Guns and ammunition should be stored separately. When the gun is not in your hands, you must still think of safety. Use a California-approved firearms safety device on the gun, such as a trigger lock or cable lock, so it cannot be fired. Store it unloaded in a locked container, such as a California-approved lock box or a gun safe. Store your gun in a different location than the ammunition. For maximum safety you should use both a locking device and a storage container.

From Walter's web site:

Quote:

Safety - Walther Arms

GUN SAFETY, OPERATION & STORAGE

Safe gun handling is YOUR personal responsibility at all times. Firearms are dangerous and can cause serious injury and death if they are misused or used inappropriately. Safety must be the prime consideration of anyone who owns or handles firearms. You are responsible for the firearm at all times. In owning a firearm, you must undertake full-time responsibility for your firearm’s safety and security. You must protect yourself and all others against injury or death from misuse of the firearm.

Safe storage is your responsibility. In particular, you must secure firearms safely from children and unauthorized users. A lock has been provided for your use with this firearm. A lock is not a substitute for safe and secure storage as defined in the Safe Storage and Transportation section of this manual.

Accidents are the result of violating the rules of safe gun handling and common sense. For your safety and the safety of others, never rely on mechanical features alone. Only your safe gun-handling habits will ensure the safe use of your firearm. This is your responsibility.

Never keep ammunition in the same location as the handgun. Store in a separate and secure place.

READ and UNDERSTAND these instructions before using your firearm.

At home, in the field, at the range, or anywhere, the first concern of every firearm owner should be safety. Apply the following safety rules in every situation, with any kind of firearm:

Storing gun and ammo separately is Gun Safety 101. Yet many gun owners haven't even heard of it, let alone practice it.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
There is not always wrong to have loaded guns laying around the house. All depends. For example, if you live alone, or don't have children and others around you house, there is nothing wrong with loaded guns.

You are wrong. Living alone does not mean you can skim on gun safety. You are free to do what you want, but know that you're NOT practicing responsible gun ownership if you choose to do that. If you must, then get a safe.

From Walter:

Quote:

Safety - Walther Arms

ALWAYS TREAT EVERY FIREARM AS IF IT WERE LOADED AND WOULD FIRE IF THE TRIGGER IS PULLED.

Do not take anyone’s word that the firearm is unloaded – always check for yourself. Never pass your firearm to another person until the cylinder or action is open and you visually check that it is unloaded. Keep your firearm unloaded and safely stored when not in use.

Last edited by beb0p; 11-06-2015 at 04:48 PM..

Old 11-06-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Why would someone not have a loaded gun around the house? Kids understand, some other reasons, but why would someone not have one say next to their bed when sleeping?

Why not keep ammo and guns in same place? Even in the military we kept it on the same place.

The answer to your question should be common sense. I'm sure you can figure out why.

The first step to being a safe gun owner is actually practicing gun safety; simple right?

Old 11-06-2015, 04:49 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
There is a problem with the poll if the question is how many have taken fire arms training because there is no option for those who have not. Instead the poll only measures what kind of training that gun owners who have taken a training program. Or was that your original intention?

By the way, I took an concealed weapons license course at an accredited community college even though I was exempt due to prior military service.

I have also taken a number of defensive and tactical training classes with current and former law enforcement trainers in both pistol and shotgun.

And lastly, I qualified expert in both rifle and pistol in the military and was for a short time a gunners mate striker before acceptance to A school for another rating.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:29 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The answer to your question should be common sense. I'm sure you can figure out why.

The first step to being a safe gun owner is actually practicing gun safety; simple right?
Let's talk common sense .
right now your at your computer and your guns are safely tucked away and the ammo is in another safe place locked away .
Right now this second there is some one breaking in from both the front and back doors ,
Well at least they won't get the guns right away.
Yes the guns are safe . Your common sense.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:58 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Storing gun and ammo separately is Gun Safety 101. Yet many gun owners haven't even heard of it, let alone practice it.
So......when I awake at night to the sound of my security alarm going off and glass breaking, I should spring out of bed, retrieve the gun from Safe A, then retrieve the ammo from Safe B, load the clip, and then be ready to defend myself?

Or should I simply grab the weapon by my bedside?

I live alone, by the way. No little kids or grandkids or neighbor kids in my house.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:03 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
All gun owners should have a gun safe. My HD gun is locked away in the morning. Other guns, If it's not on my person or within a comfortable reach, it's in the safe.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Let's talk common sense .
right now your at your computer and your guns are safely tucked away and the ammo is in another safe place locked away .
Right now this second there is some one breaking in from both the front and back doors ,
Well at least they won't get the guns right away.
Yes the guns are safe . Your common sense.

That's why guns are never the perfect solution. Sorry, you can't have both worlds - you can be safe or you can be ready. The choice is yours. You can choose to be ready and sacrifice safety, or you can be safe and sacrifice readiness.

Just like with cars, you can choose a fun sports car and sacrifice room or you can chose a van and sacrifice speed and fun. The idea is to be cognizant that if you choose one, you are forgoing the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting