Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Taken a Firearm Safety or CCW Class?
NRA Basic Pistol or Rifle/Shotgun - OR BSA, 4H 24 40.68%
Hunter Safety 22 37.29%
Concealed Weapon Permit Class 34 57.63%
NRA Advanced Armed Defense Class - Prot. In/Out of Home 9 15.25%
Other Advanced Training Course(s) - Elaborate 13 22.03%
Military 25 42.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:04 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That's how the clueless get "educated". Someone that knows nothing hears it from someone else that knows nothing and takes it as gospel. Then you have a whole bunch of people that know nothing running around spouting foolishness for the rest of the know nothings.
In fairness to beb0p, he probably originally heard that bit of "gun safety" from someone who knows a little (or more than a little) about firearms. The problem is that he doesn't understand the reason for that rule and so therefore can't evaluate when it's appropriate to apply it and when it is not. And he's adamantly refusing to be educated on the subject by those who DO understand the underlying principles of gun safety.

Why store a gun unloaded? Obviously an unloaded gun cannot fire if the trigger is pulled.

Why store the gun in a locked container? To keep someone from picking it up in the first place, of course.

Why store the ammo in a separate location from the gun? It makes it harder for someone to find both the gun AND the ammo (a necessary precursor to loading the gun).

Now imagine two households. Household A is a family with two young children, who live in a very low-crime subdivision in a single family home with an alarm system and a dog. Mom and Dad like to target shoot. Neither feels it necessary to have a self-defence gun at the ready. That family might do very well to follow beb0p's "universal gun safety rule," since the odds of their ever needing to use a gun defensively are so very low, and following those rules makes it maximally difficult for little Johnny to somehow shoot his sister Suzy.

But beb0p also insists that Household B MUST follow the same rule, or by definition they are being an unsafe gun owner. The problem is that Household B is a divorced woman who lives alone in a single family home in a rural area, who has just filed a restraining order against her violent ex-husband who's recently started stalking her. Following beb0p's rule in her case won't make anyone safer, but it just might get her killed.

Gun safety, like most safety issues, is situational. Dogmatically spouting some nonsensical "universal rule" is no substitute for actually thinking. But the former is certainly easier!

Last edited by Aredhel; 11-10-2015 at 12:24 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 12:30 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
That fake YouTube video on the California-approved homeowner's gun safe was hysterically funny (in a black sort of way), by the way! And it also sums up my concerns about "smart guns" as well (another favorite universal cure-all often proposed by folks who know nothing about the defensive use of firearms).

I don't object to individual gun owners opting for maximal safety at the expense of quick usability. I DO object to lawmakers and folks like beb0p insisting that EVERY gun owner should be legally OBLIGATED to make that choice, since everyone's individual circumstances are different.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:17 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Not since 20 years this past summer. I suppose I am an accidental discharge statistic waiting to happen.

BTW, I was taught for home defense to separate ammunition from the firearm when departing the house. That is always maintain a loaded firearm in your possession but if you store a firearm at home then separate the ammunition from the weapon. Idea is not to have to face your own loaded weapon when returning home and interrupting a burglary.

Last edited by Felix C; 11-10-2015 at 02:38 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 02:51 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Well, you have a lot to learn. Not everyone in the gun culture is your perception.
I hope you're right. But I've seen too many.

Just witness what kind of attitude is expounded just on this thread alone.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I actually laughed out loud when you quoted the state of CA as it relates to gun safety. Of course the most liberal state in the union is going to tell you that guns have to be kept separate from ammo. Personal defense firearms are of absolutely no value if the guns aren't kept loaded or within extremely close proximity to the ammo. But then again, that is the goal of the state of CA - to nullify the use of firearms for self-defense.
I know someone will use ad hominen when the rule is universal.

Fox News also listed the same safety rule. I guess that makes them a bastion of liberalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Liberals don't understand this. They think guns have minds of their own and shoot randomly. They also think that the streets make people commit crimes. Basically, anything that takes away responsibility from the individual.
Safety rules are there to protect you and your family. It's frightening that so many gun owners belittle it.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
But beb0p also insists that Household B MUST follow the same rule, or by definition they are being an unsafe gun owner. The problem is that Household B is a divorced woman who lives alone in a single family home in a rural area, who has just filed a restraining order against her violent ex-husband who's recently started stalking her. Following beb0p's rule in her case won't make anyone safer, but it just might get her killed.

Gun safety, like most safety issues, is situational. Dogmatically spouting some nonsensical "universal rule" is no substitute for actually thinking. But the former is certainly easier!

I've got to hand it you - you managed to say how wrong I am.... by using my point almost verbatim!

Did I say Household B MUST follow the same rule?? NO. Didn't I repeated said, "It's your choice!" How did you managed to miss that?

What I did say, is that if you choose to have a loaded gun in your home, then be cognizant you're not being safe. Didn't I repeatedly said that also? You can be safe or you can be ready.

Now, if Household B choose to be ready, and sacrifice some safety.... that's her choice. If she think the danger of her being killed by ex-husband out weights practicing all gun safety rules.... so be it. I've repeatedly said, "It's your choice!" Just be cognizant of what you are doing.

I've never impose the rule on anyone nor have I ever said you MUST do it. That's the problem with guys like you.... you fire first without thinking (pun intended).

The problem is NOT that people aren't practicing gun safety to a tee. The problem is that too many gun owners don't even know the most basic rules of gun safety, and when told of the rules, they lashed back like you do. It's one thing to know the rules and choose to ignore it due to circumstance, it's something else to not know it at all - Which this thread demonstrated.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Linking the AG website from the State of California in order to support your position on gun safety? A state the protects the criminals and expects the victims to role over and wait for help to arrive? A state that forbids people from protecting themselves in their own homes? Your credibility on this subject is forevermore destroyed.

*Haven't read the whole thread so my apologies if someone has already said it.

What about the Fox News site I linked to? What about all the other pro-gun sites I linked to?

Why single out just CA and ignore the rest? Is it because your point is not longer valid if you take in the entire facts?

Old 11-10-2015, 03:47 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
What about the Fox News site I linked to? What about all the other pro-gun sites I linked to?

Why single out just CA and ignore the rest? Is it because your point is not longer valid if you take in the entire facts?
You mean a ratings-based outlet and a bunch of companies whose lawyers advise them to place a PC warning in their materials?

Why single out California? Because using the AG of a state whose hostility toward the U.S. Constitution and American citizens not only undermines but utterly destroys your credibility. The AG of CA is not a credible authority on gun safety. A news channel is not. PC warnings included in materials by gun manufacturers are not: the "PC" aspect of them renders them inapplicable to anyone who has a brain and uses it.

Face it: You are here to impose your values on others. That's what your kind does. Take your moral superiority and keep it to yourself and hope like hell it's not your house an armed assailant chooses tonight.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:52 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:

If it makes you feel any better it's your arrogance and ignorance people are reacting too.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:54 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,510,561 times
Quote:

I highly recommend you go take a hunters safety course or some form of firearm safety course. Even if you dont have a gun, do it to learn. Gun safety used to be a part of growing up..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting