Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Taken a Firearm Safety or CCW Class?
NRA Basic Pistol or Rifle/Shotgun - OR BSA, 4H 24 40.68%
Hunter Safety 22 37.29%
Concealed Weapon Permit Class 34 57.63%
NRA Advanced Armed Defense Class - Prot. In/Out of Home 9 15.25%
Other Advanced Training Course(s) - Elaborate 13 22.03%
Military 25 42.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:50 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't think that's taught in any gun safety course...at least not in any course taught by people who actually shoot. Of course, I'm not surprised that CA government officials would advise it, nor am I surprised that the lawyers of gun companies would advise them to put it in their manuals.

You should see how many safety pages there are in my camera manual.
Do they advise you to store the camera and the batteries separately?

One of the few times to follow the store separately advice is when transporting in a vehicle, some states require non residents and such to do so when traveling through.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:51 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Have you actually had training yourself?
Training? He's master level certified on leftist talking points.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:58 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Do they advise you to store the camera and the batteries separately?
Yes. In fact, yes it does.

Quote:
One of the few times to follow the store separately advice is when transporting in a vehicle, some require non residents and such to do so when traveling through their state.
And that is for protection against state laws rather than from the gun.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:42 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
I can understand why mothers and fathers of criminals don't want the law abiding citizens armed, or even trained to be effective with a weapon.
Government has the very same fear.
They should.
Which makes all the more important to take up training ,making it a priority to set aside the opportunity to be further trained and practiced.
One thing in training no one ever included was that during the preliminary moments of being aware of an event before getting started ,do some stretching and loosening up you muscles if you have been in bed or sitting at a chair for some time.
I remember doing a simulation with my son, we had been sitting a while and I did not do any stretching before hand, and found my self on the ground with the worst charley horse ,in that event I would be dead.
Especially if your older and have the remote possibility if muscle cramps , KNOW you weaknesses .
There is no calling "time out" with reality.
Obviously if your already on your feet a while your circulation is up, and in public places you'd best be on your toes any way .
If I've been sitting a while , I get up and stretch my legs and arms.
I spend an hour or so at starbucks and stretch 2-3 times in that place .
Every one is use to me doing it ,some times I see others do it as well .
There is a gym just across the way.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Yes. In fact, yes it does.

And that is for protection against state laws rather than from the gun.
Don't want that camera to start snapping pics of its own accord...

Correct

Old 11-10-2015, 09:26 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
I've had little formal training, other than with my Dad when he shot for the Navy. I bad to take a CCW class its a requirement in NV, to get my permit, bug other than that, it's been only thousands of hours of practice. When I was competing heavily, I'd burn 3-500 rounds 5 days a week. I had no trouble passing the CCW class. Lol. That aside, formal training is a good thing. There's ALWys something to be learned, even for seasoned shooters.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:30 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,510,561 times
Quote:
That's how the clueless get "educated". Someone that knows nothing hears it from someone else that knows nothing and takes it as gospel. Then you have a whole bunch of people that know nothing running around spouting foolishness for the rest of the know nothings.

At least it makes them easy to spot

I got most of my weapon handling training when I started work for Sig Sauer, most of what they provided I already knew as I had been CCing for years before that. True common sense will go a long way.
Wow, working for Sig. Awesome . I went to the Sig store while working up there on a submarine at the base. Like a kid in a candy store.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Wow, working for Sig. Awesome . I went to the Sig store while working up there on a submarine at the base. Like a kid in a candy store.
Was only there a couple years, not as fun as it sounds. Got to shoot some cool stuff though, development stuff that would have steel weights welded to the slides for tweaking/testing. Had a couple days that were literally dumping mags at the indoor range all day, with peons doing nothing all day but loading more mags for me. Hard on the wrists

Old 11-10-2015, 10:05 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Don't want that camera to start snapping pics of its own accord...
Now that you mention it...

... about a year ago, my cell phone was lying on our dining room table why my wife and I were in the adjacent kitchen having a discussion.

Then my phone signaled that it had taken a voicemail. I went into the dining room and checked it. The sender of the voicemail was my phone number. When I checked the voicemail, it was low and garbled, but when I listened closely, it was the conversation my wife and I had just been having in the kitchen.

Somehow, the phone had turned itself on, recorded our conversation, then called me with the recording.
Hmmm. Maybe it was supposed to have called NSA instead of me.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Now that you mention it...

... about a year ago, my cell phone was lying on our dining room table why my wife and I were in the adjacent kitchen having a discussion.

Then my phone signaled that it had taken a voicemail. I went into the dining room and checked it. The sender of the voicemail was my phone number. When I checked the voicemail, it was low and garbled, but when I listened closely, it was the conversation my wife and I had just been having in the kitchen.

Somehow, the phone had turned itself on, recorded our conversation, then called me with the recording.
Hmmm. Maybe it was supposed to have called NSA instead of me.
Nice. Maybe if you had stored the phone and battery separately as recommended by safety experts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting