Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Taken a Firearm Safety or CCW Class?
NRA Basic Pistol or Rifle/Shotgun - OR BSA, 4H 24 40.68%
Hunter Safety 22 37.29%
Concealed Weapon Permit Class 34 57.63%
NRA Advanced Armed Defense Class - Prot. In/Out of Home 9 15.25%
Other Advanced Training Course(s) - Elaborate 13 22.03%
Military 25 42.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 11:35 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
If the answer to your question is not glaringly obvious to you, then you probably have no business owning a gun.
It is NOT glaringly obvious to me, or to any of the other folks posting in this thread, many of whom have years' worth of firearms training and experience courtesy of time spent in the military, law enforcement, and those gun training classes that are the actual topic of this thread.

Nice dodge. Now are you actually going to answer my question, or are you going to just wave your hands and resort to Argument from Authority because (having no actual experience with firearms yourself) you have no idea what you are actually talking about?

Quote:
But hey, it's a free country; and I have no interest educating people on this thread about gun safety.
That's fortunate, since you lack the required knowledge to do so.

Quote:
If you want to learn more, you can explore it on your own.
Thanks, but I've already taken the NRA Basic Pistol course, the Nebraska CCW course, and several defensive handgun and self-defense tactics courses. I'll probably get around to more training eventually, but I have no time for it now, alas.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:47 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
that you are discussing that you should store your gun and ammo separately.

Those of us who are USING our weapons on a continuing basis are not STORING them. They are ready for USE.

If I have my weapon ready to USE, I clearly am not STORING it. That USE includes being ready for the idiot who chooses to break into my home...
You are trying to get out of gun safety by using technicality?

Why even bother? Just say, "Screw it, I'm not following that rule!" And be done with. No one is giving you a ticket here.

But again, if you disagree with the safety rule, take it with the people who came up with it. I have no interesting engaging in a debate with you on why the rule makes a lot of sense.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
All those links, except for a couple of them, refer to storing your guns, not about having guns loaded in your house. Several of us have already mentioned that as long as you don't have children and other people in you house (such as visitors), there is nothing wrong with having loaded guns.

Two of the links refer to the "10 commandments of gun safety," which are the primary safety concerns when handling firearms. By the way, if you go to every firearm manufacturer's website, you will find these ten safety steps above. These are also provided in the firearm's owner's manual, and the manual itself is provided in pdf form as a free download by the manufacturer. The ten commandments are usually taught at gun safety classes.

You might want to look up what "storing" means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
there is nothing wrong with having loaded guns.
You can keep telling yourself that but it won't change the fact that gun safety says you shouldn't do it.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
most of my firearms are always loaded and are not in safes. i also have 2 teen daughters that grew up around firearms and do know how to handle firearms safely and how to handle firearms on their own.
any government that makes laws to put firearms in a safe, just want to make it safer for the government when they come crashing through the door.

So you chose to ignore basic gun safety because you fear someone is out to get you. That's your choice, just be cognizant what you're sacrificing in order for you to be ready to strike.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It is NOT glaringly obvious to me, or to any of the other folks posting in this thread, many of whom have years' worth of firearms training and experience courtesy of time spent in the military, law enforcement, and those gun training classes that are the actual topic of this thread.

Nice dodge. Now are you actually going to answer my question, or are you going to just wave your hands and resort to Argument from Authority because (having no actual experience with firearms yourself) you have no idea what you are actually talking about?

I already said I am NOT going to answer your question and have already cited authorities that you can go and ask yourself. If you find that unacceptable, that's your problem.

Quote:
That's fortunate, since you lack the required knowledge to do so.
Such hostility when towards someone merely pointing out basic gun safety.

Quote:
Thanks, but I've already taken the NRA Basic Pistol course, the Nebraska CCW course, and several defensive handgun and self-defense tactics courses. I'll probably get around to more training eventually, but I have no time for it now, alas.
I find it disturbing that none of these courses taught you basic gun safety.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:40 PM

There is a lot of tone-deafness from gun owners.

Instead of, "Hey, I wasn't aware of these safety measures, good to know."

The typical response is:

"THESE RULES ARE STUPID!!!! If I don't do it, then it must not be necessary!! They are thought up by crazy people!!!"

I think that is a pretty good representation of the gun culture as a whole.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I already said I am NOT going to answer your question...
Because you can't. Thanks for confirming that!
Quote:
I find it disturbing that none of these courses taught you basic gun safety.
I knew basic gun safety before I ever took my first course, having grown up around the things. And it consists of more than just mindlessly following a "one size fits all" rule even when the rule in question doesn't fit the current circumstances. You'd know that if you actually had any firearms experience.

Last edited by Aredhel; 11-09-2015 at 01:25 PM..

Old 11-09-2015, 12:55 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
There is a lot of tone-deafness from gun owners.

Instead of, "Hey, I wasn't aware of these safety measures, good to know."

The typical response is:

"THESE RULES ARE STUPID!!!! If I don't do it, then it must not be necessary!! They are thought up by crazy people!!!"

I think that is a pretty good representation of the gun culture as a whole.
Well, you have a lot to learn. Not everyone in the gun culture is your perception.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:21 PM

I find it ironic that beb0p is so insistent that I should follow a storage procedure for my self-defense pistol that, in my current living conditions, actually INCREASES rather than decreases the risk to others. Locked in a quick-open safe, my loaded gun is an inert object. There's absolutely no danger it will fire by itself. But any time a gun is handled there is the potential for a negligent discharge to occur, and I don't know of any way to load or unload a firearm without handling it. Sorry, beb0p, but I think I'll stick with what's safest, and handle my gun only when I'm taking it to the range, breaking it down for cleaning, or (if I am spectacularly unlucky) facing an emergency where I need it to defend myself. The rest of the time it can sit loaded in its safe or (rarely) in a holster on my person, where it's secure but ready for action should I ever need to actually use it defensively.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:25 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
I took a hunter ed class in Colorado because I was young enough to need that, although an experienced hunter already, a good review. Also took a CCP class in Iowa because you had to do that to get the CCP. Best class of all was before either of these, essentially got Gunsite 101 Pistol from a guy who had studied at Gunsite, and was my IPSC shooting and martial arts instructor while I lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting