Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Taken a Firearm Safety or CCW Class?
NRA Basic Pistol or Rifle/Shotgun - OR BSA, 4H 24 40.68%
Hunter Safety 22 37.29%
Concealed Weapon Permit Class 34 57.63%
NRA Advanced Armed Defense Class - Prot. In/Out of Home 9 15.25%
Other Advanced Training Course(s) - Elaborate 13 22.03%
Military 25 42.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 05:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You really think someone who cited safety rules that you are not aware of, is not already familiar with these rules?

In your case it's a safe bet. You don't seem to know about proper and legal weapons ownership and handling. Thugs often don't.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:23 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
^ A liberal whose friends and family are thugs and potential armed assailants. Big surprise. But remember: Your experiences with guns are not universal. Not everyone is a thug. Not everyone is a trafficker. Not everyone is an armed assailant. Just because that's your background doesn't make it everyone else's. Just because you don't know how to properly employ a weapon or use it in a legal context doesn't mean others do not.
How does any of that has anything to do with: follow basic safety?

You are very offensive for someone who claim not to be offended.

Quote:
Your experiences are YOUR experiences. Your background is YOUR background. A lot of gun enthusiasts come from pretty solid stock so you should not make assumptions.

If there is any assumption that gun owners aren't altogether aware of basic safety, many posters here (including you) confirmed that.

Quote:
^ A liberal whose friends and family are thugs and potential armed assailants. Big surprise.
Didn't you say something about not making assumptions??

Yeah.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
In your case it's a safe bet. You don't seem to know about proper and legal weapons ownership and handling. Thugs often don't.

So someone who doesn't know about proper gun handling is able to cite safety rules that you aren't aware of.

Logic isn't your thing is it?

Quote:
Thugs often don't.
Ah, don't make assumptions indeed.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
How does any of that has anything to do with: follow basic safety?

You are very offensive for someone who claim not to be offended.

If there is any assumption that gun owners aren't altogether aware of basic safety, many posters here (including you) confirmed that.

Wrong. I haven't weighed in at all on my personal knowledge of gun safety or what I personally do to ensure it in my home or any time I handle a weapon. All I've done is challenge your tone and credibility. Apparently that is not sitting well with you.

Quote:
Didn't you say something about not making assumptions??

Yeah.
I didn't make an assumption. You're the one who admitted to being associated with thugs, gun traffickers and would-be armed assailants.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Wrong. I haven't weighed in at all on my personal knowledge of gun safety or what I personally do to ensure it in my home or any time I handle a weapon. All I've done is challenge your tone and credibility. Apparently that is not sitting well with you.
If you knew of the safety rules then why did you act surprise and offended? Even going so far as to suggest they are made up by anti-Constitution hooligans. That makes no sense.

Quote:
I didn't make an assumption. You're the one who admitted to being associated with thugs, gun traffickers and would-be armed assailants.
But that doesn't mean I am a thug. I am also friends with multi-millionaires and cops. Using your logic I am a thug, a multi-millionaire, and a cop.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
If you knew of the safety rules then why did you act surprise and offended? Even going so far as to suggest they are made up by anti-Constitution hooligans. That makes no sense.
So now everyone who doesn't agree with you is "surprised" and "offended?" THAT makes no sense.

Quote:
But that doesn't mean I am a thug. I am also friends with multi-millionaires and cops. Using your logic I am a thug, a multi-millionaire, and a cop.
I didn't call you a thug. I said that your background that you admitted to is one that is thuggish in nature. Your friends and relatives sounded like thugs by YOUR description. If that's where you cut your teeth in firearms it's reasonable to believe your values are not on par with people who grew up with a healthy respect for the legal and proper ownership, use of, and storing and handling a firearm.

Incidentally some millionaires and cops are thugs too.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:02 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Those rules concern when a person is handling a gun. There is more to safety than just when a person is holding a gun you know. What to do when a gun is not being handled is also important. Somehow you keep protesting this fact.
Because it's not a fact. A firearm that is not being handled, loaded or unloaded, is an inert object. No gun ever spontaneously fires. So a gun, loaded or not, which is stored in a manner that prevents unauthorized access has been rendered safe.

Quote:
I said you can be safe or you can be ready. If you chose to be ready then of course you are sacrificing safety.
Except that there is no "of course" there. IF a person lives in a household where someone (a small child, a mentally disturbed person, a criminal, etc.) might fiddle with a safe to the point where they manage to force it open and get the gun out, then storing the gun unloaded will add an additional layer of safety, and hiding the ammo in a different location adds yet another (much slimmer) layer. I (like many others) do not live in such a household. My rare house guests are law-abiding, sane, and sober adults; if they found my safe, they'd leave it alone because law-abiding adults respect locks. Theives don't, but that's why the safe is hidden: what a burglar can't find, he can't steal. So what added safety is unloading the gun achieving? In my case, none.

Now do you understand? Gun safety is much more about keeping a gun out of incompetent or malevolent hands than it is about keeping it unloaded.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
So now everyone who doesn't agree with you is "surprised" and "offended?" THAT makes no sense.
No. I am saying You acted surprise and offended. No need to drag other people into this.

Quote:
I didn't call you a thug. I said that your background that you admitted to is one that is thuggish in nature. Your friends and relatives sounded like thugs by YOUR description. If that's where you cut your teeth in firearms it's reasonable to believe your values are not on par with people who grew up with a healthy respect for the legal and proper ownership, use of, and storing and handling a firearm.

Incidentally some millionaires and cops are thugs too.
So your logic is that someone who have seen the worse is not qualified to cite gun safety rules? So someone who is a friend of an alcoholic is not qualified to cite safe driving? Remember, I am not citing anything that isn't public knowledge.

If anything, someone who has been on the wrong side would know more about gun safety than the average Joe who has never experienced the worse.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Because it's not a fact. A firearm that is not being handled, loaded or unloaded, is an inert object. No gun ever spontaneously fires. So a gun, loaded or not, which is stored in a manner that prevents unauthorized access has been rendered safe.

Except that there is no "of course" there. IF a person lives in a household where someone (a small child, a mentally disturbed person, a criminal, etc.) might fiddle with a safe to the point where they manage to force it open and get the gun out, then storing the gun unloaded will add an additional layer of safety, and hiding the ammo in a different location adds yet another (much slimmer) layer. I (like many others) do not live in such a household. My rare house guests are law-abiding, sane, and sober adults; if they found my safe, they'd leave it alone because law-abiding adults respect locks. Theives don't, but that's why the safe is hidden: what a burglar can't find, he can't steal. So what added safety is unloading the gun achieving? In my case, none.

Now do you understand? Gun safety is much more about keeping a gun out of incompetent or malevolent hands than it is about keeping it unloaded.

Certainly safer than having a loaded gun just laying around. However, there is still risk of an accidental discharge while the gun is being retrieved/handled. You will probably say that danger is slim, but it exists. Hence, that rule.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:31 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Certainly safer than having a loaded gun just laying around. However, there is still risk of an accidental discharge while the gun is being retrieved/handled. You will probably say that danger is slim, but it exists. Hence, that rule.
No, hence Universal Rule #1: ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded. You should never alter the way you handle a weapon because you "know" it is unloaded.

And that very low risk of negligent discharge while being retrieved/handled is precisely the reason I don't store my gun unloaded! Following your supposed "universal safety rule" has me handling my defense weapon twice a day! To follow your rule, I have to retrieve the gun in the morning and unload it, and then reload it in the evening when I get home. My way has me handling the firearm usually only once a week (since I rarely carry during the week, I'll only be handling the firearm when I'm going to the range on the weekend). The rest of the week, the gun is sitting untouched in its hidden safe, an inert object. Which way is actually safer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting