Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Taken a Firearm Safety or CCW Class?
NRA Basic Pistol or Rifle/Shotgun - OR BSA, 4H 24 40.68%
Hunter Safety 22 37.29%
Concealed Weapon Permit Class 34 57.63%
NRA Advanced Armed Defense Class - Prot. In/Out of Home 9 15.25%
Other Advanced Training Course(s) - Elaborate 13 22.03%
Military 25 42.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 05:32 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You failed to answer my question or anyone else who has responded to your post.

Please answer;

1. What is unsafe about having a loaded gun. Does it jump up and start shooting on its own? Past reasons like having kids, leaving it unattended out in the open while not at home, etc, please explain the logic that a person should not have a loaded gun within access while at home.

2. Please explain why ammo and guns need to be kept separate. Considering the military does not do this, neither do gun stores, police (maybe some do? but none I have experienced), do not keep guns and ammo separate, please then tell me what is dangerous about it. Right there in the safe with the M9s were the magazines and the ammo to load into them for each shift, and even more ammo in ammo boxes with lead seals on them. Checked that stuff in and out for my shift for two years, it was not my imagination. On my ship, some thing, and at three other bases it was the same thing.

In the military, I went a lot of firearms training starting with boot camp, firearm qualifications, and later on as an SRO and armorer. I worked with firearms nearly every day for three straight years, storing, issuing, cleaning, inventorying, ordering, fixing, training, etc. So I am curious what experience you have, where it came from, and to answer the questions with something other than "should be common sense", which is the answer of someone who does not know anything.

I am NOT going to answer your questions because I am NOT here to educate people about gun safety.

You can contact the authorities whose links I provided and ask them yourself.

I am merely the messenger. If you don't like the message, don't take issue with me.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
Oh please, let's have some common sense here. Guns are a hot button political issue these days. Do you really expect a politician to put up anything that does not either parrot his party's line or placate the public firebrands.

Gun manufacturers are also affected by the political climate, plus real and perceived liability and public perception issues. Their positions are strictly ruled by their self interests, nothing else.

So they essentially made up an unnecessary safety rule because.... guns are hot button issue?

The hot button issue is gun control, not gun safety. Gun safety is universal.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:46 PM

412 posts, read 451,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
So they essentially made up an unnecessary safety rule because.... guns are hot button issue?

The hot button issue is gun control, not gun safety. Gun safety is universal.
Nice try at misdirection. The issue is your pointing to self serving individuals and corporations as experts on the question.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Your being extremely silly now. Who made you an expert on Firearms and Safety? All your doing is parroting what some one else had an opinion on, nothing more. You can be ready and you can be safe. Its not a "Choice" just because you say so. That's just plain goofy. I have a gun for protection, should I ever need it. Same reason I have life preservers on my boat, or a spare tire on my truck. I hope I never need either of them, but better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. The other Guns I have, are there because I like them, and enjoy having them.

When the President appoints you as "Special Gun Advisor" you can try your opinion again. Until then, your just being silly.

You are being very defensive when all I did was provide a couple links to basic gun safety rules. These are basic gun safely procedure, I didn't make them up. If you have a problem with them, there are better channels to voice your discontent than attacking me.

It's a free country, do what you want. You don't have to justify your unsafe practice to anyone.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:56 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
All my guns are loaded, rounds in chambers. Even when i carry, as they should be.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
Nice try at misdirection. The issue is your pointing to self serving individuals and corporations as experts on the question.
The problem here is that you think these safety rules are partisan when they are universal. These are basic gun safety procedure. Just because this is the first time you heard about it, doesn't mean these rules are made up by anti-gun people. In fact, they are preached by many pro-gun organizations.

Each of the following articles/official sites said you should store your gun and ammo separately. I will let you read and find the passage that says so. And there are hundreds more organizations that preach the same if you care to google them.

How to store guns safely in your home | Fox News

10 Best Practices for Gun Safety

https://www.minnesotasafetycouncil.o...950D0A0E9BB1D0

Firearm Safety: The "do's" and "don'ts" of enjoying guns safely.

Child Safety - Taurus International

Gun safety experts: Locking it up is not enough | KSL.com

Old 11-07-2015, 07:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
The problem here is .......

.[/url]
that you are discussing that you should store your gun and ammo separately.

Those of us who are USING our weapons on a continuing basis are not STORING them. They are ready for USE.

If I have my weapon ready to USE, I clearly am not STORING it. That USE includes being ready for the idiot who chooses to break into my home...

Old 11-07-2015, 08:29 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
The problem here is that you think these safety rules are partisan when they are universal. These are basic gun safety procedure. Just because this is the first time you heard about it, doesn't mean these rules are made up by anti-gun people. In fact, they are preached by many pro-gun organizations.

Each of the following articles/official sites said you should store your gun and ammo separately. I will let you read and find the passage that says so. And there are hundreds more organizations that preach the same if you care to google them.

How to store guns safely in your home | Fox News

10 Best Practices for Gun Safety

https://www.minnesotasafetycouncil.o...950D0A0E9BB1D0

Firearm Safety: The "do's" and "don'ts" of enjoying guns safely.

Child Safety - Taurus International

Gun safety experts: Locking it up is not enough | KSL.com
All those links, except for a couple of them, refer to storing your guns, not about having guns loaded in your house. Several of us have already mentioned that as long as you don't have children and other people in you house (such as visitors), there is nothing wrong with having loaded guns.

Two of the links refer to the "10 commandments of gun safety," which are the primary safety concerns when handling firearms. By the way, if you go to every firearm manufacturer's website, you will find these ten safety steps above. These are also provided in the firearm's owner's manual, and the manual itself is provided in pdf form as a free download by the manufacturer. The ten commandments are usually taught at gun safety classes.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:48 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Not enough people. In life and on the net - I routinely come across people who thinks it's ok to have a loaded gun lying around the house, didn't know that you're supposed to store your gun and ammo in different locations, etc, etc.

most of my firearms are always loaded and are not in safes. i also have 2 teen daughters that grew up around firearms and do know how to handle firearms safely and how to handle firearms on their own.
any government that makes laws to put firearms in a safe, just want to make it safer for the government when they come crashing through the door.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:55 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
You are being very defensive when all I did was provide a couple links to basic gun safety rules. These are basic gun safely procedure, I didn't make them up. If you have a problem with them, there are better channels to voice your discontent than attacking me.

It's a free country, do what you want. You don't have to justify your unsafe practice to anyone.

they might be unsafe to you, but not unsafe to others. ask how many cops store their firearms as the states requires the people to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting