Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Taken a Firearm Safety or CCW Class?
NRA Basic Pistol or Rifle/Shotgun - OR BSA, 4H 24 40.68%
Hunter Safety 22 37.29%
Concealed Weapon Permit Class 34 57.63%
NRA Advanced Armed Defense Class - Prot. In/Out of Home 9 15.25%
Other Advanced Training Course(s) - Elaborate 13 22.03%
Military 25 42.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 06:29 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
So......when I awake at night to the sound of my security alarm going off and glass breaking, I should spring out of bed, retrieve the gun from Safe A, then retrieve the ammo from Safe B, load the clip, and then be ready to defend myself?

Or should I simply grab the weapon by my bedside?

I live alone, by the way. No little kids or grandkids or neighbor kids in my house.

Like I said, you can be safe or you can be ready. If you want to have a loaded gun by your bedside, fine, you are ready but you are not safe. But if that's your choice, that's your choice right? Just be cognizant that when you make that choice, safety is out the window.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:47 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
That's why guns are never the perfect solution. Sorry, you can't have both worlds - you can be safe or you can be ready. The choice is yours. You can choose to be ready and sacrifice safety, or you can be safe and sacrifice readiness.

Just like with cars, you can choose a fun sports car and sacrifice room or you can chose a van and sacrifice speed and fun. The idea is to be cognizant that if you choose one, you are forgoing the other.
1. Nothing always is the perfect solution: be it guns, knives, baseball bats, machetes, and so on. But it does not mean that you can't be safe and ready. Where do you get the idea that you can't be both safe and ready?

2. Today's automobiles are quite safe, even at high speed. If you are a good driver, you already know how to maintain safety regardless of speed, since you know yours and the automobile's limitations. If you are a bad driver, then you are an unsafe one, regardless of how fast or how slow you drive.

If you are an unsafe person, then you should stay away from things on #1 above

Old 11-06-2015, 09:31 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Like I said, you can be safe or you can be ready.
Safe from what? What EXACTLY is the danger these rules you keep quoting so dogmatically are protecting against?

I store my pistol loaded, in a quick-open gun safe that is located in a hidden spot in my bedroom where it is firmly anchored down but where I can still reach it quickly. Care to explain how this is unsafe? Before you answer, bear in mind that I live alone and never have small children in my house.

I don't care if some hypothetical 5 year old blows his hypothetical little brains out while playing with my pistol. No REAL small child ever has access to it. Nor is it easy for an adult other than me to find it, much less casually pick it up. A determined theif could get it, but in that case it hardly matters if the weapon is loaded or not, because if it's not loaded when the thief steals it, it very soon will be. Thieves can buy ammo at stores just the way everyone else does; it hardly matters if they do or don't find mine.

You don't seem to understand that the rules you are mindlessly quoting were written to cover the most dangerous situation: a gun in the house where a small child (or a mentally unstable person of any age) lives. People who don't live in that situation aren't necessarily behaving in an unsafe fashion if they disregard a "rule" that has no relevance to their actual living situation, so long as they insure the firearm is reasonably secured against theft or misuse when they are not in direct control of it.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:44 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:
This is exhibit A of someone who doesn't know squat about gun safety but probably thinks he/she is the safest gun owner in the world. This is a huge problem. The ignorance is putting everyone around him/her in danger.

From the State of CA, Attorney General's web site:

From Walter's web site:

Storing gun and ammo separately is Gun Safety 101. Yet many gun owners haven't even heard of it, let alone practice it.
This is exhibit A1 from someone who thinks they know all about Gun Safety because they read some one else's opinion on a piece of paper.

I keep my (loaded) gun close to me at night and within easy reach in the daytime, when I am home. That's why I have one. The others are a collection, and again, within easy reach along with the ammo. You can keep your where you like, and in my house I keep them where I like. The only person they are a "Danger" to, is anyone that comes in my house uninvited.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:45 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I had firearms training in boot camp.

I also had training for fire fighting.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
That's why guns are never the perfect solution. Sorry, you can't have both worlds - you can be safe or you can be ready. The choice is yours. You can choose to be ready and sacrifice safety, or you can be safe and sacrifice readiness.

Your being extremely silly now. Who made you an expert on Firearms and Safety? All your doing is parroting what some one else had an opinion on, nothing more. You can be ready and you can be safe. Its not a "Choice" just because you say so. That's just plain goofy. I have a gun for protection, should I ever need it. Same reason I have life preservers on my boat, or a spare tire on my truck. I hope I never need either of them, but better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. The other Guns I have, are there because I like them, and enjoy having them.

When the President appoints you as "Special Gun Advisor" you can try your opinion again. Until then, your just being silly.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Like I said, you can be safe or you can be ready. If you want to have a loaded gun by your bedside, fine, you are ready but you are not safe. But if that's your choice, that's your choice right? Just be cognizant that when you make that choice, safety is out the window.
He is a lot safer than not having a loaded gun next to his Bedside. If your house is being broken into, your not safe if you don't have one. You can go ahead and call 911, but I will take my chances with having the gun first. I can call 911 when its all over. Either way, safe on both counts.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:06 PM

I have never had any formal Training in Firearm safety. If you have half a brain, it was not needed. When I picked up my first rifle, there really was no such thing. You got instructions from a Parent, who also had Guns.

Today, maybe Training is a good thing, because a lot of todays Parents don't want their Children to know anything about guns or even have a toy gun. My Father had guns, and we, as children, knew we where not to touch the guns, and we did not.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:44 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Some really good responses. Interesting to see the ratio between basic and ccw info and those continuing into higher level training. I agree, wish I'd put an option for no training.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:26 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Used to be taught in school, yes public schools. Yes, we had guns in our trucks in the parking lot.
I learned to shoot, safety etc on a M1Garand and M14 at West Point as a kid, 6 or 7th grade... Safety, respect and common frickin sense...
My daughters have learned the same thing, starting at age 11...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting