Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 07:33 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Actually, there were some precursors to modern international law, such as the "Peace of Westphalia" that were kind of in play in Europe until the rise "Neo-Imperialism" during the 19th Century.

Hawaiian sovereignty was lost to the British for a brief period in 1843 during the "Paulet Affair." The British restored Hawaiian "sovereignty" when it was taken in 1843, establishing a precedent. The United States did not restore Hawaiian "sovereignty" when it was taken in 1893, ignoring the British precedent.
Exactly and the opposition to sovereignty can claim no one is interestted in sovereignty by the numbers involved. But just like Hawai'i politics theres a reason why people don't trust american politics or government agencies and get involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 08:58 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
What i find is interesting is why is this an issue of law or if its convenient to everyone and/or money? Why not the argument be its just the right ethical thing to do based on fairminded and fair justice? For we can all agree there is a reasonable doubt that eveything regarding the overthrow of the Hawai'i kingdom wasn't all on the up. Thus making the annexation and state hood suspect.
Is there a spot on earth that hasn't been unjustly taken? Was it fair for Kamehameha to conquer the islands unjustly killing to do so? If we give back all the lands that were taken unjustly, who would we give them to and where would everyone currently on earth go?

Old 05-30-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Is there a spot on earth that hasn't been unjustly taken? Was it fair for Kamehameha to conquer the islands unjustly killing to do so? If we give back all the lands that were taken unjustly, who would we give them to and where would everyone currently on earth go?
Like ive said to you b4 McFrostyJ, I appreciate the everyone conquers everyone argument and other arguments against. But the problem is the behavior hasn't changed, instead of changing and learning from the past the US has gotten bolder. Now we are trying to conquer multiple sovereign countries. Without change those arguments just becomes justifications. We should have learned with the native americans.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Like ive said to you b4 McFrostyJ, I appreciate the everyone conquers everyone argument and other arguments against. But the problem is the behavior hasn't changed, instead of changing and learning from the past the US has gotten bolder. Now we are trying to conquer multiple sovereign countries. Without change those arguments just becomes justifications. We should have learned with the native americans.
You act as if the United States are the only ones who have done this. If you are wanting to go back into the past and correct wrongs that were done, then you must do it fairly and across the board to everyone equally. Are you willing to do that?

Old 05-30-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
You act as if the United States are the only ones who have done this. If you are wanting to go back into the past and correct wrongs that were done, then you must do it fairly and across the board to everyone equally. Are you willing to do that?
When does doing whats right have to do with everybody else? We obviously know that stealing things is wrong, this virtue is reflected in our society laws and we are opposed to thieft by forceable means too. A good percentage of our population is of a political party that believes taking something that one didn't earn is wrong and thieft.

Our country is the first to point out crimes against humanity and human rights violations and is the worlds policeman. Maybe returning Hawai'i to its people and fixing a wrong will be an example for other nations to follow suit? Then we can truely say we are the best nation in the world. What does china or england have to do with us setting a wrong right?

Old 05-30-2014, 12:48 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,353 times
Quote:
When does doing whats right have to do with everybody else? We obviously know that stealing things is wrong, this virtue is reflected in our society laws and we are opposed to thieft by forceable means too. A good percentage of our population is of a political party that believes taking something that one didn't earn is wrong and thieft.

Our country is the first to point out crimes against humanity and human rights violations and is the worlds policeman. Maybe returning Hawai'i to its people and fixing a wrong will be an example for other nations to follow suit? Then we can truely say we are the best nation in the world. What does china or england have to do with us setting a wrong right?
great post...

Old 05-30-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Maybe returning Hawai'i to its people and fixing a wrong will be an example for other nations to follow suit?
Ok, then let's be fair, do the right thing and return all the lands around the world that were ever taken from their original occupants.
By the way, who was it that actually got to Hawaii first long before Kamehameha stole it?

Old 05-30-2014, 01:01 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Ok, then let's be fair, do the right thing and return all the lands around the world that were ever taken from their original occupants.
Heck. Let's make it easier. I guess you'd be 121 years old, congrats. Tell me what you "owned" and let's talk. We can work out a deal. Lol.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Heck. Let's make it easier. I guess you'd be 121 years old, congrats. Tell me what you "owned" and let's talk. We can work out a deal. Lol.
Exactly your 121 years old?

Old 05-30-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
By the way, who was it that actually got to Hawaii first long before Kamehameha stole it?
McfrostyJ i think what your tripping over is a fear of losing something or not getting something? I imagine McfrostyJ that the reason these lands and why this issue is so important to some is the native persons cultural belief that the aina and the land and people are interconnected.

Truth i doubt there would be other claims besides Tibet and Tai Won. If there are for other nations then it will be the illegal occupying countries to responsibility correct there wrongs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii