Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 08:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Hawaiian By Heart, when you are going to do what's right and stand up for the people from Marquesas who had Hawaii stolen from them by the Tahitians?
Or how about Cuba - or Jamaica - Mexico......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 09:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
The Native Hawai'ian population including mixed blood was only 15% of the population .

Do i need to go on? Every step of the process from the overthrow of the queen to statehood etc has some shady stuff or controversies. Do you think it was fair to the kanaka moari to vote on an issue of statehood when everyone could of voted no and still lost? It wasn't your government or land being lost? Further if you look past your loyalties and personal agendas and look at the events. Its reasonable to believe something is not right.
Go back and read my post again. Here, I'll make it easy... https://www.city-data.com/forum/35024341-post148.html

Nobody can change what happened in 1893 or in 1959. Let that go. Face the reality today.

If you want to have a vote about self-governance by and for kanaka maoli on Hawaiian Homelands, then limiting that vote to kanaka maoli people* is fair, and makes sense. But the reality is that there's not a lot of interest in the actual kanaka maoli community. The OHA, run by and for native Hawaiians, last fall extended the period to register due to low turnout, and now wants to extend it further, in the hope they can get more people interested.

So honestly, if they're not going to participate, why should we care?

But why should only the eligible ones who bothered to register be given the right to determine the future of everyone else, including the 80% of the current population who have put in their lives and their money and their sweat, going back 5 generations or more in some cases, to build the state into what it is now?

And the obvious answer is, no that wouldn't be fair at all, not to the clear majority of the nearly 1,400,000 people living in Hawai'i today.

* Let's not forget that even to vote on "local" concerns, native Hawaiians don't own the entire issue. According to the census in the Hawaiian Kingdom in 1890, the population was a little over 55,000 and nearly 16% were naturalized citizens of foreign origins. So limiting any vote to kanaka maoli only would rip off all the ancestors of those other citizens of the former Hawaiian monarchy. They also need to be included.

Last edited by OpenD; 05-30-2014 at 10:09 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 10:08 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
@OpenD

According to the census in the Hawaiian Kingdom in 1890, the population was a little over 55,000 and nearly 16% were naturalized citizens of foreign origins. So limiting any vote to kanaka maoli only would rip off all the ancestors of those other citizens of the former Hawaiian monarchy.

In 1778*The Estimated population of Hawaii at this time was between*300,000 to 500,000 gee wonder what happened there?

A quote from King Kamehameha IV, Alexander Liholiho:

“To be kind and generous to the foreigner is no new thing in the history of our race. It is an inheritance transmitted to us from our forefathers. I cannot fail to heed the example of my ancestors. I therefore say to the foreigner that he is welcome to our shores—welcome as long as he comes with the laudable motive of promoting his own interests and at the same time respecting the rights of his neighbors. But if he comes here with no more exalted motive than that of building up his own interests at the expense of the native—

Continued nxt pos

Old 05-30-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
@OpenD

According to the census in the Hawaiian Kingdom in 1890
I know you like to live in the past, but isn't 1890 a bit extreme? Perhaps a YouTube video is what we need?

Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 PM

Continued from last post

native—to seek our confidence only to betray it—with no higher ambition than that of overthrowing our government and introducing anarchy, confusion, and bloodshed, then—then I repeat, he is most unwelcome!”

Your qoute OpenD: But why should only the eligible ones who bothered to register be given the right to determine the future of everyone else, including the 80% of the current population who have put in their lives and their money and their sweat, going back 5 generations or more in some cases, to build the state into what it is now?

Because of stuff like this On March 29, 1949, Kamokila Campbell successfully sued the Hawaii Statehood Commission, to stop them from spending public money to lobby for statehood, invalidating a single section of the Act which created the Hawaii Statehood Commission.

I mean the more you dig the more shady stuff comes up.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I know you like to live in the past, but isn't 1890 a bit extreme? Perhaps a YouTube video is what we need?
Perhaps you can stop being a White supremacist for a moment?

Old 05-30-2014, 10:39 PM

I mean honestly guys, we have invaded countries on less speculation then what supporters of the Hawai'i kingdom have presented on this forum the last year.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:02 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
I personally don't believe the motives of the people calling for the restoration of the Monarchy today are any different than the motives 115 yrs ago (roughly) when the Monarchy was removed, or the motives 200 yrs ago (roughly) when Kam 1 forcibly overthrow the leaders of all the islands to take control himself.

I believe the "restore the monarchy" movement today is really about power and money just as it was in the past. The guys who want the Monarchy restored are just looking for power and money and trying to find an argument and a way to get it given to them. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just fooling themselves.

They want to control the land, control the taxes, control the hotels, etc. and they want to better their personal lives and the fortunes of their families.

If they had the means to forcibly do it, they would. But since they don't, their trying to find any angle they can find. no altruistic motives at all. I'm just saying they are no different than those who removed the Monarchy or Kam 1 before them.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you can stop being a White supremacist for a moment?
Awww, there you go being racist again. It has been a fee weeks at least and overdue.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:43 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:

I mean the more you dig the more shady stuff comes up.
I agree with you that some very bad things were done in the past. However, it isn't just limited to white people. Awful things were done by all races of people all over the world. If you want to learn from them and and try to stop these kinds of things from currently happening or happening in the future, then I'm with you. However, if you just want to correct a couple of your favorite injustices from history while ignoring the rest, than that would be just as wrong as the acts you were trying to correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii