Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 02:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post

Grover Cleveland probably could have solved the "Hawaiʻi problem" in 1893 with a simple "executive order," his foreign policy was one of "non-intervention." Moreover, he had more pressing issues at the time to be concerned about, such as his cancer surgery and a major economic crisis.
Can we get an Executive Order today? It is such a waste of time and effort when things should be a higher priority - like education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 02:55 PM

31 posts, read 26,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Can we get an Executive Order today? It is such a waste of time and effort when things should be a higher priority - like education.
It dawned on me in one of my posts to HbH about the kingdom of Hawaii charging usurious rates to lease bases, that perhaps that is part of their motivation.

In any case, I agree that it is a wholesale squandering of good human effort to pursue this issue, except as a diversion from the work-a-day world on CDF or other venues.

It will not, and should not, go beyond mere lip service.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:09 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Or getting our next walmart, which internet provider i should choice and keeping the population down in Hawai'i to those in six figures so property values don't go down. So much more important things then injustice to a few or etc.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:11 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I just ask ppl like OpenD. How much do you need to have reasonable doubt that everything regarding Hawai'i wasn't done legally and ethically?
I have no doubt whatsoever that much, and probably most of what happened was unethical and illegal. I've never said otherwise. And I have a great deal of empathy for people of native Hawaiian heritage who feel a deep sense of loss about what happened to their ancestors. But that doesn't mean that restoring Hawai'i's status as a sovereign nation is the appropriate way to mitigate those transgressions which occurred in the now distant past. Even as kids we learned that "two wrongs don't make a right," right? And restoring the Hawaiian Monarchy, frankly, would be a boneheaded move that would really only benefit a handful of people, the ones who are pushing hardest for it. So make that saying "three wrongs don't make a right."

Putting aside the history books for a moment, which all interpret events from a variety of perspectives and biases, we need only consult the Hawaiian Constitution of 1840 to see how fundamentally unfair their system was from today's viewpoint, dividing their population into three classes with different rights and privileges... Royalty, Chiefs, and Commoners... which were determined by birth. You couldn't work hard and become the King someday unless you were a Royal by birth. And you couldn't sit in the upper house of legislature, the House of Nobles (much like our Senate), and pass laws, unless you were a born Chief, or the King had raised you up. And as a Commoner you could run for election to the lower house, but not everyone had the right to vote. And truth be told, there was actually a fourth class in practice, the outcasts, who were thrown out of society for crazy or bad behavior and had no rights or privileges or property. They just had to fend for themselves, in the rough. So yes, even in 1840 there were homeless people in Hawai'i !

I feel this detail from the sandlewood trade that mushroomed in the 1820s is quite telling... the King commanded that sandlewood from the native forests be submitted by the commoners as a tax. This was collected on behalf of the King by the Chiefs, who received a cut, and the valuable wood was sold for gold to Asian traders. The Commoners got nothing, the King got gold, and the Chiefs got a percentage. Matter of fact, if a commoner refused to submit the tax, the punishment was to burn down his house. And when kanaka maoli Commoners got off-island employment offers from whalers and trading companies and plantations, they had to get permission from the King, and the company had to post a large "security deposit" in gold with the King to ensure the native's return at the end of his agreement. And each Commoner owed three days labor a month to the king, for which there was no recompense. It's good to be the King!

In short, although the 1840 Constitution, enacted during King Kamehameha III's reign, calls out that the King owns everything, it also says it is not private property, but instead property held in common for the Chiefs and Commoners. So why oh why did only the King and the Chiefs get rich from selling off property to foreigners during the reigns of Kam II and Kam III? And didn't that "corruption" sew the seeds for the eventual overthrow of the country? And I could go on.

My central point comes back to that Winston Churchill quote I invited you to look up earlier...

“Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried.”

By whatever crooked path it took, Hawai'i eventually came to a democratic form of government. To regress to a lower and inferior form of government now, by restoring an obsolete monarchy, makes no sense at all to anyone except the handful of insiders who would personally profit by the change.

And to have only about 20% of the current population of Hawai'i be considered eligible to vote on the future of 1.4 million people? That would be an injustice so large it dwarfs the injustice it purports to correct.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22-250 View Post
It dawned on me in one of my posts to HbH about the kingdom of Hawaii charging usurious rates to lease bases, that perhaps that is part of their motivation.

In any case, I agree that it is a wholesale squandering of good human effort to pursue this issue, except as a diversion from the work-a-day world on CDF or other venues.

It will not, and should not, go beyond mere lip service.
I mean yeah, how can capitalistic america be wrong, we are gods country. We are the most richest and powerful because we are the most rightous and virtuous! Gee sorry to question our motives, let me go back to sleep ok?

Old 06-01-2014, 03:25 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
It would be interesting to see would would happen if David Keanu Sai, Leon Siu, Owana Salazar, Abigail Kawānanakoa, Quentin Kawānanakoa, Mahealani Kahau, James Akahi, and a few other "monarchists" and some of their supporters were thrown into a room together and not allowed to leave until they reached some sort of consensus.
Honolulu Magazine - Contenders to the Throne
Exactly. This is the first productive idea I've heard in years. Before anyone takes one more step, before even one more taxpayer dollar is spent on this quixotic quest, these folks should be sequestered until they can agree on a single set of principles, and come up with a coherent list of proposals and requests they all agree on and will stand behind.

Absent that degree of alignment they stand no chance of convincing the public, and without the public's backing they cannot succeed.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Exactly. This is the first productive idea I've heard in years. Before anyone takes one more step, before even one more taxpayer dollar is spent on this quixotic quest, these folks should be sequestered until they can agree on a single set of principles, and come up with a coherent list of proposals and requests they all agree on and will stand behind.
Why is that important? Dont we in this country have multi political parties other then the 2 major ones who all have different ideas or agendas and are choatic, but don't get along. Do you not see my point? Why bring that up open?

Old 06-01-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Or getting our next walmart, which internet provider i should choice and keeping the population down in Hawai'i to those in six figures so property values don't go down. So much more important things then injustice to a few or etc.
I do believe you've got it.

If you ask is there injustice in Bacon and Eggs, the Pig will resoundingly say "Yes", the Chicken will say "Not Really", and the Diner will say "None Whatsoever". It is all perspective and how broadly one views things. Trying looking Big Picture for a while,and you'll understand that, for the overwhelming majority concerned, it was the best of all possible outcomes.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I mean yeah, how can capitalistic america be wrong, we are gods country. We are the most richest and powerful because we are the most rightous and virtuous! Gee sorry to question our motives, let me go back to sleep ok?
I agreed with everything you said, right up to the . Then, you lost me.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

Absent that degree of alignment they stand no chance of convincing the public, and without the public's backing they cannot succeed.
I may be wrong on this, but I think the only consensus they will arrive at is what they oppose, NOT what they support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii