Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 12:11 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Its often really interesting to learn how different the thinking is with traditional natives vs our caucasian cousins. Of course there will be those who will disagree. But for myself and my ohana i always interpreted Haoleism to be a mindset more the a skin color thing. Ive personally know fullblooded native americans and native hawaiians who were more haole or western then some who have 10% blood.

There are good and bad in every color of people. I don't really think it has anything to do with any specific group of people these days. Maybe you could say that being one with and respecting nature was originally a native Hawaiian or native American thing. However, it's not that way anymore. Now, it's a human thing. There are bad humans from all walks of life all over the world. Just remember that there are also good humans from all walks of life and all over the world!
Maybe we should stop labeling people by the color of their skin or where they are from and start labeling them according to their actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:05 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,763,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

There are good and bad in every color of people. I don't really think it has anything to do with any specific group of people these days. Maybe you could say that being one with and respecting nature was originally a native Hawaiian or native American thing. However, it's not that way anymore. Now, it's a human thing. There are bad humans from all walks of life all over the world. Just remember that there are also good humans from all walks of life and all over the world!
Maybe we should stop labeling people by the color of their skin or where they are from and start labeling them according to their actions.
No ones arguing the above ok, but unfortunately the Gentrification, Enviromental issues and Crazy cost of living and corruption on Hawaii has more to do with a Capitalistic Western way of thinking and most of the power and money is from outside interests thus my original argument. We need everybody for change but more effort to change from some.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:23 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,921 times
Quote:
We need everybody for change but more effort to change from some.
I can agree with you that we need more effort from some as long as the some you are talking about is not based on the color of their skin or where they were born.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:21 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,265,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I wonder how much things would've gotten mucked up had Queen Lili'uokalani had a child with her Caucasian husband, John Owen Dominis - and if that child had not married a Native Hawaiian.
That probably would've made things less "mucked up."

John Owen Dominis had a child, John Dominis Aimoku, with Mary Purdy Lamiki Aimoku who was a married retainer of Liliʻiuokalani. In 1910, Liliʻuokalani adopted John Dominis Aimoku (who was 27 years old at the time) and his name was changed to "John Aimoku Dominis." In 1911, John Aimoku Dominis married Sybil Frances McInerny (the daughter of Edward Aylett McInerney and Rose Kapuakomela Wond). John Aimoku Dominis and Sybil had three children -- John Owen Dominis II (1912-1933), Sybil Francis Kaolaokalani O Lilukalani Dominis (1914-1998), and Virginia Beatrice Kauhanenuiohonokawailani Dominis (1916-2007). While their brother had no children, many of Sybil's and Virginia's descendants reside in the continental United States and some of them are barely aware of their Hawaiian ancestry.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:43 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Your story on John Dominis Aimoku reads like a soap opera....

http://files.usgwarchives.net/hi/sta...eenlil7nnw.txt

Last edited by whtviper1; 06-11-2014 at 08:50 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Your story on John Dominus Aimoku reads like a soap opera....

http://files.usgwarchives.net/hi/sta...eenlil7nnw.txt
Yikes, his name isn't that hard to spell -- it's "Dominis," not "Dominus."

Since some of those folks were real "characters," tracing genealogy can be a "relatively complicated affair."

Old 06-11-2014, 08:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
I've long said that the Kingdom of Hawai'i was not overthrown by the US Government, but by American Christian missionaries. In this piece from David Attenborough's classic PBS documentary series "American Experience," much the same argument is made. Records show that from the very beginning the missionaries worked quietly to end "the tyranny of the Hawaiian monarchy." And second and third generation "Missionary Boys" were the key players in bringing the monarchy to an end more than 70 years after the first missionaries arrived from Boston in 1820.

It's different perspective...

American Experience . Hawaii . The Program | Transcript | PBS

Old 06-11-2014, 08:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Quote:
The vivid yellow and red robes, cloaks and helmets and other ceremonial gear of tradiitional Hawaiian royalty... like that pictured in this YouTube... is visually arresting, but I can't really enjoy the sight, knowing how they were produced.

A single full robe, such as Kamehameha is often portrayed wearing, could require the colored feathers from as many as 80,000 birds to make, according to scholars. And many of the birds they treasured for such purpose are now extinct.

Take the 'O'o, an unusually beautiful but now extinct honeycreeper, which was prized by Big Island natives for a couple of small tufts of bright yellow feathers that punctuated their predominantly black bodies.

Quote:
The ancient kings and princes of Hawaii chose this unfortunate creature to be their "royal" bird. As is so often the case when monarchs choose, being the "chosen" one does not necessarily confer safety - and it definitely did not in this case. The honour merely meant that 'O'os were expected to provide plumes for the famous robes, capes and helmets that are today so prized by ethnologists, but which were once an integral part of the whole culture of pre-European Hawaii. The downfall of the 'O'o lay in the beautiful tufts of yellow feathers that grew below the wings and on the lower abdomen.

These were ripped from the living bird and then woven into a bed of coarse netting; gradually, after the unwilling input of many hundreds of individuals, the cloak began to take shape. After the feathers were stolen from the bird, those who had trapped it were supposed to let it go. Whether or not they did is something of an open question. 'O'os fried in their own fat were, apparently, a great delicacy and it is hard to imagine hungry Hawaiians passing up the chance of a tasty morsel, particularly as any chance of being caught defying the law would presumably be remote.

Hawaii Oo (Moho nobilis) Extinct bird species

Old 06-11-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I've long said that the Kingdom of Hawai'i was not overthrown by the US Government, but by American Christian missionaries. In this piece from David Attenborough's classic PBS documentary series "American Experience," much the same argument is made. Records show that from the very beginning the missionaries worked quietly to end "the tyranny of the Hawaiian monarchy." And second and third generation "Missionary Boys" were the key players in bringing the monarchy to an end more than 70 years after the first missionaries arrived from Boston in 1820.

It's different perspective...

American Experience . Hawaii . The Program | Transcript | PBS
For a documentary from 1997, it was pretty good. The late Jim Bartels, the ex-husband of Regina Kawānanakoa (the great-granddaughter of David Kawānanakoa) served as a consultant for it. However, a 2012 book by Stephen Dando-Collins entitled, "Taking Hawaii" puts some of the blame on Henry Waterhouse, an Australian that was born in Tasmania.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The vivid yellow and red robes, cloaks and helmets and other ceremonial gear of tradiitional Hawaiian royalty... like that pictured in this YouTube... is visually arresting, but I can't really enjoy the sight, knowing how they were produced.

A single full robe, such as Kamehameha is often portrayed wearing, could require the colored feathers from as many as 80,000 birds to make, according to scholars. And many of the birds they treasured for such purpose are now extinct.
I believe that is a mainland/white person conspiracy theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii