Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 11:12 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5000psi View Post
As many as I want, and want, and want, and want, and want, and want, and want. I am here to stay, one way, or another....

I have a suggestion, however. Why don't concern yourself with the content of my posts, rather than tattle-tale 101.
It's all yours Jeffington. I'm outta here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 11:12 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
This was the biggest shopping experience you could get in hawaii and they had a balance of local owned, foreign and mainland stores it kept the experience unique and different and balanced. Today its mostly highend mainland stores.
Yeeesh! How many times are you going to chew the same meal? This is becoming "The Neverending Whine," where you loop back through the same stuff over and over and over.

We get it. We really do. You're sad and angry that things aren't the same as they used to be. You have my condolences for your sadness and sense of loss. But no matter how many times you bring up the same complaints, that doesn't and never will change a thing.

A couple of things you do seem to miss about all this, over and over and over...

The same process is happening everywhere, and always has, and always will. Human beings change things. There used to be lush lowland forests running right down to the beaches on all the Hawaiian islands, until voyagers from the Marquesa Islands arrived in seafaring canoes and burned down those forests in order to impose their civilization on the previously untouched land. Everything since then is just an extension of that process. Today, virtually every major city in the world, as well as many smaller cities and towns, looks different in significant ways from the way it looked 25 years ago. It's a neverending process as populations increase. And everywhere there are elderly people clucking their tongues about their favorite places in the past that are gone, and about being forced out of the best places by rising prices. It's not unique to Hawai'i. Things change.

You keep blaming all the bad changes that you don't like on rich, white Americans. This simply shows that you haven't bothered educating yourself very well about the history of Hawai'i. For example, the Kona Coast of the Big Island was pretty much just made up of sleepy little villages and coffee farms until Japanese investors built three resorts there, timed to take advantage of the opening of the new Kona Airport in 1970. And this triggered an Japanese investment boom during the 70s and 80s, amounting to more than $12 Billion, IIRC. This was followed in the 90s by a boom in Canadians purchasing homes in Hawai'i, to take advantage of very favorable exchange rates. And there have been other waves from other areas at other times, as there will be in the future. The Chinese may be next. Things change.

Wealth always flows to the most desirable, most beautiful, most interesting places on earth, and in the process changes them. Again, this is not unique to Hawai'i, and it's not something you can stop. It's happening everywhere. Things change.

Rather than endlessly bemoaning that Hawai'i isn't the same it was when you were a child, be grateful you have the good memories you do of that time. Not everyone was as fortunate as you. And as most religions and philosophical systems advise, you can't live in the past. There is no life in the past, and you can't go back to the past, and when you wallow in the past you are not living. Life only exists in the present moment.

Let go of your rants and move into the present. Savor each moment as it occurs, because in life there is only one thing you can be certain of... Things change.

Last edited by OpenD; 06-13-2014 at 11:20 AM..

Old 06-13-2014, 11:27 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Whatever happened to John Kaluna from Waianae ? Miss his posts.
He's still here, he just posts under one of his other names. We have a few people that like to use more than one account. In fact, John Kaluna has posted within the last hour.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:00 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
@OpenD,McFrostyJ

I love guys like you. Everything is the past and doesn't need to change if it doesn't effect us. But the moment it does then its current issues. Take whtviper1s argument of overcrowding and his communities plea of "please don't send us more tourists", do you think that was an unique issue? For generations locals b4 them said the same thing, right? So if it effects you then its a current issue?

ODs quote: The same process is happening everywhere, and always has, and always will. Human beings change things. end quote:

Ok pack the bags whats the use of educating people then? Go back to sleep so people can go back to shopping etc.

ODs quote: You keep blaming all the bad changes that you don't like on rich, white Americans. This simply shows that you haven't bothered educating yourself very well about the history of Hawai'i. End quote:

No this is an example of you cherry picking my words to make an argument to get me to shut up because you don't want to look

Continue next post:

Old 06-13-2014, 12:10 PM

31 posts, read 29,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yeeesh! How many times are you going to chew the same meal? This is becoming "The Neverending Whine," where you loop back through the same stuff over and over and over.

We get it. We really do. You're sad and angry that things aren't the same as they used to be. You have my condolences for your sadness and sense of loss. But no matter how many times you bring up the same complaints, that doesn't and never will change a thing.

A couple of things you do seem to miss about all this, over and over and over...

The same process is happening everywhere, and always has, and always will. Human beings change things. There used to be lush lowland forests running right down to the beaches on all the Hawaiian islands, until voyagers from the Marquesa Islands arrived in seafaring canoes and burned down those forests in order to impose their civilization on the previously untouched land. Everything since then is just an extension of that process. Today, virtually every major city in the world, as well as many smaller cities and towns, looks different in significant ways from the way it looked 25 years ago. It's a neverending process as populations increase. And everywhere there are elderly people clucking their tongues about their favorite places in the past that are gone, and about being forced out of the best places by rising prices. It's not unique to Hawai'i. Things change.

You keep blaming all the bad changes that you don't like on rich, white Americans. This simply shows that you haven't bothered educating yourself very well about the history of Hawai'i. For example, the Kona Coast of the Big Island was pretty much just made up of sleepy little villages and coffee farms until Japanese investors built three resorts there, timed to take advantage of the opening of the new Kona Airport in 1970. And this triggered an Japanese investment boom during the 70s and 80s, amounting to more than $12 Billion, IIRC. This was followed in the 90s by a boom in Canadians purchasing homes in Hawai'i, to take advantage of very favorable exchange rates. And there have been other waves from other areas at other times, as there will be in the future. The Chinese may be next. Things change.

Wealth always flows to the most desirable, most beautiful, most interesting places on earth, and in the process changes them. Again, this is not unique to Hawai'i, and it's not something you can stop. It's happening everywhere. Things change.

Rather than endlessly bemoaning that Hawai'i isn't the same it was when you were a child, be grateful you have the good memories you do of that time. Not everyone was as fortunate as you. And as most religions and philosophical systems advise, you can't live in the past. There is no life in the past, and you can't go back to the past, and when you wallow in the past you are not living. Life only exists in the present moment.

Let go of your rants and move into the present. Savor each moment as it occurs, because in life there is only one thing you can be certain of... Things change.
Exactly what I have been trying to explain to him over several iterations of "me". It never soaks in.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
@OpenD,McFrostyJ

I love guys like you. Everything is the past and doesn't need to change if it doesn't effect us. But the moment it does then its current issues. Take whtviper1s argument of overcrowding and his communities plea of "please don't send us more tourists", do you think that was an unique issue? For generations locals b4 them said the same thing, right? So if it effects you then its a current issue?

ODs quote: The same process is happening everywhere, and always has, and always will. Human beings change things. end quote:

Ok pack the bags whats the use of educating people then? Go back to sleep so people can go back to shopping etc.

ODs quote: You keep blaming all the bad changes that you don't like on rich, white Americans. This simply shows that you haven't bothered educating yourself very well about the history of Hawai'i. End quote:

No this is an example of you cherry picking my words to make an argument to get me to shut up because you don't want to look

Continue next post:
What's the point,/use/benefit of continuing more of the same gibberish on yet another page of gibberish.?

Old 06-13-2014, 12:14 PM

Continue from my last post:

at the issues that special interests and foreigners are killing the island way of life, culture etc. Just the fact that im arguing with you says you have no ideal how much has changed.

ODs quote: Wealth always flows to the most desirable, most beautiful, most interesting places on earth, and in the process changes them. Again, this is not unique to Hawai'i, and it's not something you can stop. It's happening everywhere. Things change. End quote:

I have to keep repeating everything because you keep justify and rationalise the negative effects. I never said stop progress or modernization. What i said was restore balance and respect peoples rights to not wanting there communities Gentrified! Ive used examples of who has the money to control hawaii politics. Let me give you a hint, its not locals or native hawaiians who have the money. So who is it then? Its you who has made it a race issue because you don't want to change, to hell with what the majority may want.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Idk i like you stick around. Your living proof to my arguments.
You have no "arguments" - nil, zip, zero, nada. That's the biggest part of your problem.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:22 PM

Jeffington is an example of this, to hell with the rules, i do whatever i want, when i want it! Just another example of mainland thinking that doesn't go well with island life and is exactly the same attitude the money bags have when forcing there will on the residents of Hawai'i.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
He's still here, he just posts under one of his other names. We have a few people that like to use more than one account. In fact, John Kaluna has posted within the last hour.
Kinda like the Whtviper1, OpenD and McfrostyJ being the same person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii