Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 12:45 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

Robins
Ross Sutherland Limited Stores
Saint-Germaine America Inc.
San Francisco Rag Shop
Sato Clothiers
Seafarer Leatherwear
Sears Roebuck and Co.
Security Diamond Co. Ltd.
Seiko Center Ltd.
Sera’s Surf N’ Shore House of Air Brush
Shirokiya
Singer Company
Skirts ‘N Blouses
Slipper House
Smitty’s Pancake House
Summer Place
Susie’s
Swiss Colony
Tahiti Imports
Territorial Savings & Loan Assn.
Thom McAn Shoe Store
Thom’s Barber Shop
Tiki Gems
Tobaccos of Hawaii
Tsuki’s Hair Styling
Tutu’s Grass Shack
Villa Roma
Vim & Vigor Foods
Waltah Clarke’s Hawaiian Shop
Watumull’s
Wikiwiki Coffee House
Wong’s Okazu-ya
Yami Soft Frozen Yogurt Shoppe

This was the biggest shopping experience you could get in hawaii and they had a balance of local owned, foreign and mainland stores it kept the experience unique and different and balanced. Today its mostly highend mainland stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 12:59 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Ala Moana Mall still has shops that you won't see here like...
Auana Quilts
Hawaiian Quilt Collection
Hilo Hattie
Hula Lehua
Martin & MacArthur
The Islands' Best
Watumull's
Maui Divers Jewelry
Na Hoku
Blue Hawaii Surf
Hawaiian Island Creations
Lani Beach by Mireille
Sera's Surf 'N Shore
Splash! Hawai'i
T&C Surf Designs
and many, many unique places to eat.

So I'm not sure what your point is.

As the world gets smaller and people move around, a lot of Hawaiian places are popping up around here. I guess the locals in Oregon could complain because they weren't here 20 or 30 years ago. But I for one am very happy that I can get me some ono kine Lau Lau in Portland, Oregon!

Old 06-13-2014, 01:00 AM

Now lets take a look at today at ala moana shopping center stores. To me it reads like my local shopping center experience. Maybe a handfull of local owned shops. No real uniqueness.

Ala Moana Center: Stores: Alphabetical Listing

Old 06-13-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Now lets take a look at today at ala moana shopping center stores. To me it reads like my local shopping center experience. Maybe a handfull of local owned shops. No real uniqueness.

Ala Moana Center: Stores: Alphabetical Listing
Again, you could say the same thing about almost any mall in America if you compare what they had 20 to 30 years ago, to what they have today. In fact, I would say that Ala Moana Mall today has a lot more stores that are unique to Hawaii then any mall I have seen around here has that are unique to Oregon.

By the way, thanks sis. It's because of you I know so much about the Ala Moana Mall!
I'm not taking her to Oahu anymore!

Hey Hawaiian By Heart, check out the eats they have at Ala Moana Mall! Ever seen anything like this around here?
http://www.alamoanacenter.com/Dining...l-Listing.aspx

Old 06-13-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Again, you could say the same thing about almost any mall in America if you compare what they had 20 to 30 years ago, to what they have today. In fact, I would say that Ala Moana Mall today has a lot more stores that are unique to Hawaii then any mall I have seen around here has that are unique to Oregon.

By the way, thanks sis. It's because of you I know so much about the Ala Moana Mall!

Hey Hawaiian By Heart, check out the eats they have at Ala Moana Mall! Ever seen anything like this around here?
Ala Moana Center: Dining: Alphabetical Listing
Sorry Mcfrosty your never going to get me to agree that things being 4x faster, 2 times more expensive with less uniqueness and aloha will be a progress or better thing.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Sorry Mcfrosty your never going to get me to agree that things being 4x faster, 2 times more expensive with less uniqueness and aloha will be a progress or better thing.

Huh? Where did I ask you to agree to that? Where did I even say that? Do you read things before you reply to them?

Old 06-13-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

Ala Moana Center: Dining: Alphabetical Listing
As crazy as it sounds i recommend you try Orange Julius, they had the best teri beef sandwiches on the islands and Shirokiya Restaurant (Shirokiya) lunch counter was great back then. Your right some really good grindz. To bad ala moana shopping center isn't open air anymore. You could shop and work on your tan lol. You have a sistah that likes to shop?

Old 06-13-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
To bad ala moana shopping center isn't open air anymore. You could shop and work on your tan lol. You have a sistah that likes to shop?
It isn't? Did they cover it since I was there last in January?

Ya, she loves to shop.

My wife and I both HATE shopping. The nice thing about Ala Moana Mall is at least they have some good eats, fresh air and a nice view up top of Ala Moana Beach Park!

Old 06-13-2014, 01:23 AM

31 posts, read 29,997 times
Quote:
Do you want to know what our big box stores were back then? We had them. Sears, JC Pennys, Shirokiya, Woolworth, Liberty House and Foodland, Holiday Mart. The Mainland had Sears, JC Pennys, Woolworth etc. We also had an equal amount that you mainlanders didn't have. Thats the balance and what kept Oahu partially unique among other things. Would you like to see another example of what im saying?
You didn't really"say" anything. You just strung a bunch of words together about stores. No point, no conclusion, just words string together.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:35 AM

31 posts, read 29,997 times
Quote:
Unfortunately (for you), you were out-voted by everybody who makes any difference in the situation, which, for your reference, would include the businesses serving the customer base, AND the customer base the businesses serve.

So on all counts, you've wiffed your way back to the dugout. Epic Fail, or as I say, Gravity overcame Lift. Craterville, baby.

Your basic complaint is you don't like the passage of time, and the inevitable shifting in virtually everything that goes along with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii