Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 11:29 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,762,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Clearly when we need a 80's history lesson regarding Hawaii, you'll be ready to pull out a YouTube video. When it comes to 2014 in Hawaii you are clueless.

And no, you aren't special at all. Agreed.
What makes 2014 in Oahu any different then Oahu in da 80s? We still had rich self important mainland haoles comming over and telling us how to live back then as today, trying to change life on the islands to fit them and always having to be #1 blowing hot air about how important they are! You might as well live in a gated community.

Anyone disagree wit me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 11:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
What makes 2014 in Oahu any different then Oahu in da 80s?
I'll delete your racist statement as it always turns to that.

I wasn't here in the 80's and choose to not live it via YouTube videos. I could care less what it was like then. I live in the present not the past. I could care less what it was like before statehood. Who cares. Move on.

I do live here in 2014 - which you don't by the way. And my day to day experience isn't much different than living on the mainland (which you keep asking me over and over and over about). The answer is the same. Not much different in Hawaii than the mainland.

You so desperately want it to be different. So sad.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'll delete your racist statement as it always turns to that.

I wasn't here in the 80's and choose to not live it via YouTube videos. I could care less what it was like then. I live in the present not the past. I could care less what it was like before statehood. Who cares. Move on.

I do live here in 2014 - which you don't by the way. And my day to day experience isn't much different than living on the mainland (which you keep asking me over and over and over about). The answer is the same. Not much different in Hawaii than the mainland.
And you call me a racist! Interesting how a small minorities way of life is dominant in Hawaii. We sure don't look like hawaii anymore on Oahu or tokyo do we? Some of us earn our social titles, you don't because you believe your better than everyone else? Maybe you need to rethink your racism argument?

Old 06-12-2014, 12:52 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,660 times
Quote:
What makes 2014 in Oahu any different then Oahu in da 80s? We still had rich self important mainland haoles comming over and telling us how to live back then as today, trying to change life on the islands to fit them and always having to be #1 blowing hot air about how important they are!
So you really had rich "haoles" (your word) from the mainland come over and tell you, a not rich "haole" (your word) how to live? Please, give me an example and please, knock off the racist stuff.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
So you really had rich "haoles" (your word) from the mainland come over and tell you, a not rich "haole" (your word) how to live? Please, give me an example and please, knock off the racist stuff.
Uhmmm look at Oahu, compare it from the past. Then answer your own question ok. Jeez KNOCK OF THE RACIST/CLASSIST STUFF!

Old 06-12-2014, 03:22 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,264,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Thought the Ali'i were supposed to memorize this, No ka Moe ‘ana o nā Ali‘i Nui....

Moe kolohe nui ka Ali'i...
Some folks (e.g. some of the descendants of John Aimoku Dominis) didn't know that they had aliʻi ancestors and considered themselves to be completely "American."

Old 06-12-2014, 03:34 PM

31 posts, read 30,053 times
Quote:
What makes 2014 in Oahu any different then Oahu in da 80s? We still had rich self important mainland haoles comming over and telling us how to live back then as today, trying to change life on the islands to fit them and always having to be #1 blowing hot air about how important they are! You might as well live in a gated community.

Anyone disagree wit me?
Virtually Everyone!

Old 06-12-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Uhmmm look at Oahu, compare it from the past. Then answer your own question ok. Jeez KNOCK OF THE RACIST/CLASSIST STUFF!
So its is Progress you oppose.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5000psi View Post
So its is Progress you oppose.
Whats progress? The rising cost of living, the Gentrification of oahu or the continued rise in the divide between those who have and those who don't in Hawai'i and the elimination of anything unique culture wise?

Old 06-12-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Whats progress? The rising cost of living, the Gentrification of oahu or the continued rise in the divide between those who have and those who don't in Hawai'i and the elimination of anything unique culture wise?
That's it, exactly.

Hawaii, or any place as "desirable" as Hawaii, is going to undergo the same exact process. Moneyed people move, part or full time, to where the living pleasant and rewarding. They change the landscape, i.e. they better it, to suite themselves.

Admittedly, it isn't the best outcome for those less capable of, or interested in, success, but the future belongs to the doers, the accomplishers, the mover and shakers - not those on the other end of the spectrum. They will do what their success enables them to do. It is part of the motivations of rewards and punishments than helps propel mankind forward, ever-upward, ever-onward.

It is an eternal lesson of history, i.e. that history favors the ambitious. I offer that you not only accept this inevitable fact, but embrace it, and, in pursuit thereof, become successful yourself.

Last edited by 5000psi; 06-12-2014 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii