Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 09:46 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times

Advertisements

How would removing older people from the population, improve the gene pool? Women beyond early middle age can't reproduce any longer and the opportunities for older men to father children are greatly reduced. But even if all older people could still reproduce, they've demonstrated that they have good levels of strength and health, just by living so long. Some of those who are weak or sick, are that way because they've suffered accidental injuries. That would not reduce the quality that was passed on from their genes. However, it is true that the children who come from older fathers, have a greater incidence of birth defects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 09:50 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
OP sounds like some extreme Darwinist,
but you'll sing a different tune if it gets your grandma.

the last published CDC Death report I found on their website was for 2018. It said 2.8M people died in the US, of all causes.
So let's see if Coronavirus over the course of the next ~9 months, bumps into the Top 3 and dislodges heart disease, cancer, and accidents. If it tops 47k it beats Suicide, if it tops 83k it beats Diabetes.

12 weeks ago, nobody even knew the word "Coronavirus", now we are swimming in it.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:57 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
That's "going pretty hard against nature" alright. I've never heard of ankle replacements.

How do you account for this massive waist down joint deterioration?
Actually, they were ankle fusions. I've also had 2 spinal fusions, along with multiple hand and finger surgeries.

Caused by rheumatoid arthritis.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:11 PM

300 posts, read 148,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I've had both knees, both hips, and both ankles replaced. Guess I should have chosen to crawl around like a slug?
sorry Marylee, I had to laugh because it sounds like something my mother would say. lol

But no, I believe in technology improving quality of life so that people don't have to slither around like a slug. Congrats on your ankle fusions and knee replacements. I wonder if you were a runner? I love running but also value my joints so am conscious of the impacts.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:50 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
but you'll sing a different tune if it gets your grandma.
Not necessarily trying to defend the OP here, but it's worth admitting, that our attitude towards the elderly, depends to some extent on whether our own parents/grandparents are alive (or if we're elderly ourselves). Our attitude towards children, depends on whether we ourselves have children. And so forth.

For a person with no children, no parents, no siblings and no spouse, well,... for such a person, the fabric of kin-connections will be different than for those who belong to a family. Such a solitary person would naturally be expected to be more individualistic and to feel less beholden to the interests of others.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:41 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
Why are we messing with what we can't conquer?
The same reason billions were spent on New Orleans after Katrina, a city that should have been abandoned back to nature. The same reason Houston was built in a river flood plain, despite being told not to by the Army Corps. of Engineers back in the 1940's.
We're arrogant, considering ourselves not limited by nature.
While they may eventually find a cure for this particular strain, it'll be back eventually under a different.
I noticed a thought-provoking theory posted in another thread, the premise being these virus' have been locked in ice for 10,000 years; and of course ice continues to melt planet-wide during our current inter-glacial period.
And now after a quick Google search, the theory has merit.
BBC - Earth - There are diseases hidden in ice, and they are waking up

Old 03-23-2020, 05:49 PM

445 posts, read 167,472 times
Why wasn't anyone freaking to the same extent they are now when the swine flu and ebola fiasco was going on? It's totally unconstitutional and communist for the government to say you can't leave your house. The curfew stupidity going on in NY and CA is unconstitutional. They didn't do that with the H1N1, they shouldn't be doing it with this.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:53 PM

445 posts, read 167,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I'd rather be a Darwinist than a Marxist.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:58 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Not necessarily trying to defend the OP here, but it's worth admitting, that our attitude towards the elderly, depends to some extent on whether our own parents/grandparents are alive (or if we're elderly ourselves). Our attitude towards children, depends on whether we ourselves have children. And so forth.

For a person with no children, no parents, no siblings and no spouse, well,... for such a person, the fabric of kin-connections will be different than for those who belong to a family. Such a solitary person would naturally be expected to be more individualistic and to feel less beholden to the interests of others.

I think it's pretty obvious why the UK and US Govts changed their tune after reviewing the number of projected deaths if we both didn't push quarantines - it was political survival.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:48 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Except that's not up to you to decide, I don't think.

People get sick.

People die.

Even if/when they don't want to.
Not me. I have a decade or two to make Democrats sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness