Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 09:29 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,658,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
No way Jose. Enough tyrannical orders from on high, this is a created panic and the death toll is insignificant vs. almost every other disease or event like the flu, cancer, medical errors (1000 per day in the USA), car wrecks, and on and on.

What is this panic REALLY about?

Cancer, Medical errors, and car wrecks are not contagious with asymptomatic transmission for those going about their business while not following the rules and selfishly spreading the disease to others all at the same time potentially overwhelming hospitals with exponential growth throughout the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 11:15 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
New study indicates the Virus may be spreading much farther then 6 feet even being sucked into building duct work and spreading though buildings. “There was sampling done in air vents with positive detection of the virus.”

Sure glad I have a 3m N95 mask has the metal nose strap bend to adjust so it seals really well it can stop down to .3 microns which means the 3M N95 should be able to stop the Covid-19 virus. It doesn't protect the eyes so I wear safety glasses with sealed foam around the edges.

I'm now thinking about wearing my full face 3M respirator with cartridge filters. This is the kind of mask one uses when spraying toxic automotive urethane paints in a paint booth.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...hs/5086553002/

New report can spread just from breathing not coughing.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...w-report-finds

Last edited by kell490; 04-04-2020 at 11:25 PM..

Old 04-05-2020, 12:28 AM

182 posts, read 76,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Does anyone else think they'd feel self conscious wearing a face mask to the grocery store?

It's not just about vanity, I just have never worn a big white face mask out in public.

When I first saw a few people wearing them out, I thought to myself that they were the ones that had the corona virus.

You are not the only one who think like this. There are many others who have the same attitude toward people who wear masks. This is sheer ignorance, honestly. It discourage people shy away from wearing masks which in turn causing more harm to the society by increasing the spreading speed.

Given the medical facilities with limited test kits, so they only perform test on those who already show all symptoms and in severe conditions( not too long ago, even people who had symptoms didn't get test for coronavirus), so we don't know who have the virus. Treating people who wear masks as they are the infected ones is totally wrong because for those who haven't got tested, we don't know who are already infected. You could well be infected without knowing, then you go out to the market then act disgust to those healthy who wear masks to protect themselves and show respect/ concern to the community.

As I said in another thread, the majority of people in the US thinking washing hands and social distancing are all you need when going out in public while in reality, wearing a mask if the first thing you need to do.

Wearing a mask is more about preventing yourself to introduce the virus to the surrounding than protecting yourself from the environment which is many people always concern at. In a surgery, doctors and nurses are wearing masks to prevent giving out bacteria via droplets to the opened wounds while the breathing and communicating in order to lower the infection rate. The bacteria, viruses get out of human bodies via airborne can be minimized if everyone wearing marks which is not the case for what has been happening in the US, hence the ridiculous transmitting rate during the last month,

Research that when corona virus blown by a machine to the air then they can remain in the air up to 3 hours before drop down. They then can remain alive on surfaces depend on what kind of surfaces. How do you think it's safe when going around with people who has no facial protection to block the virus at the first place? The viruses can get out by mouths, noses, fecal matter so when rimming is not talked about, wearing masks would reduce in great deal the transmitting by blocking the sources. Note that the viruses will be introduce more to the environment in the order from high to low sneezing> coughing > talking > breathing, so we can be more safe when going out, if people who happen to have viruses without knowing and they doing those activities. The viruses will be blocked in their masks from people noses and mouths and mostly stay inside their masks rather than flying around in the air, waiting for other people to breath in.

If people can think critically about the mechanism than saying something like what some people say in CD lately such as " masks have litlte to no protection,I make sure I wash my hands carefully". Yeah, before you wash your hands, make sure to block the infecting sources first. It's like dealing with the broken faucet flashing the wood floor by wiping the water and ignore to turn off the main source. If you want to know how much droplets you manage to give out, hold a mirror in front of your nose to see the droplets on it, or better yet, coughing or sneezing to the mirror to see the results. Many Americans can't see that, hence the infected shooting rate,we have witnessed lately comparing to other countries especially in some Asian countries where the majority of people wearing masks in public. And before someone saying masks are not available, why not use coffee filters to make homemade masks, or scalps, etc... In this crisis, values of lives is more important than fearing of being laughed at.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:42 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
Just curious. Do medical workers wear the N95 masks that have a valve on them? The valve seems to let exhaled breath pass out unfiltered.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:02 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Please stop repeating your fantasies here as if they're facts.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32167245

9000 subjects-- all health care workers dealing with hospitalized influenza pts-- both N95 and surgical masks were equally effective in preventing disease transmission to the wearers.

We have no specific data on CoV, so we can't be certain that it also holds true.

As the cited article states, in lab tests, the N95 masks filtered out more artificial dust (25x more!) but that didn't translate into clinical benefit.

It's reasonable to deduce that even a makeshift bandana may help: we don't have to filter out all virus particles, just enough to stay below the minimum effective inoculum. It certainly isn't perfect. It's less than optimum. But it's gotta be better than nothing.
I think I find a careful read of the Conclusion paragraph of that link contradictory. As I think I understand what it says, it leaves the recommendation to wear the N95 mask intact for high risk medical staff in contact with flu patients or suspected flu patients. So while they say there's no difference, why this exception in the conclusion. Maybe I'm just to dumb to understand it.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Since our Gov in CO suggested it highly half of the people in the supermarket had them on finally.
It's becoming a fashion statement!

I followed a cool idea - pull a tee shirt over your head -'think of Dexter', lol, stop at your nose...tie the arms
behind your head, ( I then pinned that on place)--- was like pulling a turtle neck up, black.
Won't be good in the summer, tho.
So easy to pull down, still knotted, and then you have a neat black neck warmer on!
So many many 'No sew masks' ideas online.

I knew from the start they were a good idea.

For this group reading here - I watched a youtube of a lady that was 10 during the 1918 Flu in the South, USA!
Her family were the only ones that did not get it! She thought it was prob cuz each morning
their mom gave them
1/2 tsp in water of baking soda ---she said it 'neutralizes the system and will fight off the flu'.
It does help alkalize the body!! Bugs live an acidic environment.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 04-05-2020 at 03:56 AM..

Old 04-05-2020, 05:26 AM

1,198 posts, read 661,109 times
I STILL do not have a face mask (I would LOVE to have one) although I did order several that are finally on their way through the mail thanks to someone on City Data who tipped me on a site that still had some in stock. Every store in my city is cleaned out of them and none in stock. Many many online sites including Amazon are out of them. It is nearly impossible to find them because so many people are buying them in mass and hoarding them. Even many medical personnel and local hospitals are short and are taking donations from people, including homemade masks. If it becomes a mandatory requirement to wear them, then everyone needs to have access to them and given at least one. For those with masks themselves who are judging those without, you could do us a favor and offer one of yours to someone. I would make my own but I have zero sewing skills beyond sewing ribbons on point shoes or a button on a shirt (and even that is questionable lol). I'd pay someone to make one for me if I could find someone to do it. I have rarely left my house since March 18th with the exception of two grocery store trips, one also to pick up a prescription med, and a few walks outside. I am fortunate I work from home now.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:29 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
are you serious ? how do we know the cia did not put it out in the air to see what the general public would do ? this is my dim witted BIL's theory of what this virus is . I refuse to talk to him about it because he gives me nothing but a rash of crap and im done . i just cant believe there are others out there like him . Thanks for letting me know there are .
When you have a moment, try your hand at some basic arithmetic.

And be proud that you're in the herd of lemmings heading over the cliff in a total panic about a numerically insignificant event. And being completely trusting and naive, and unaware, is nothing to be proud of.

Again, try some arithmetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Cancer, Medical errors, and car wrecks are not contagious with asymptomatic transmission for those going about their business while not following the rules and selfishly spreading the disease to others all at the same time potentially overwhelming hospitals with exponential growth throughout the world.
The flu is contagious. Compare the numbers.

Let's have a look back at this in a year and see what the numbers are. Even if Covid death numbers exceed the flu deaths, is that a RATIONAL reason to shut down the entire world economy?

Shutting down the economy is unbelievably destructive, it too kills people in droves, and IT'S NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:30 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,818,241 times
For those who care to have the very best:

I ordered two hi end re-usable N95s with 8 filter refills on Feb 25 from FullyGeeked, made and shipped from China.
They arrived on March 25!
I was shocked when they got here (SoFla).

According to Fully Geeked they are IN STOCK NOW for $29 !!
Not sure how long it will take to arrive, but hey, get ready for whatever, right?

https://www.fullygeeked.net/products...th-n95-filters

Get some replacement filters also.
The masks are spacious under the mouth, breathing is very easy. I put a surgical over it and toss it after one use. They say you can use the filter many times.. not sure how many.
The exhale vents are adjustable but I think I'll open them when/if it gets uncomfortable.

Good luck out there!

Old 04-05-2020, 10:49 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
According to Fully Geeked they are IN STOCK NOW for $29 !!
Not sure how long it will take to arrive, but hey, get ready for whatever, right?

https://www.fullygeeked.net/products...th-n95-filters

Page Not Found

The page you requested does not exist anymore. Sorry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness