Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 02:37 PM

761 posts, read 445,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
It is not only healthy, but it is (drum roll) the healthiest Pizza in the world. Now how can you not like that. He even uses organic. You could substitute the mozzarella cheese for tofu maybe and replace the eggs with baking powder and this would work for you.

https://www.drberg.com/blog/the-heal...a-in-the-world

2 cups finely grated cauliflower
2 cups shaved mozzarella cheese, plus extra for topping (I use a pre-shaved organic brand.)
2 large eggs
Tomato sauce
Pizza toppings of your choice (I like mushrooms, fresh tomato slices, and fresh basil.)

I personally think this looks like good stuff!
Okay, as long as you're happy with it, but I'm a vegan so it's not something I would do. The last post on the previous page will tell you why I became a vegan.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:29 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
The author, mostly known for being a research scientist, tends not to give any specifics but recommends a "whole foods plant based" diet", a diet that's not high in fat.
A whole foods, plant-based diet (not vegan or vegetarian) is recommended by just about everyone in the science community.
"A plant-based diet is not a vegetarian or vegan diet; you can eat poultry, beef, eggs, fish, and dairy products, however most of your nutrient intake is coming from plant-based sources. There is no set ratio of plants to animal foods on a plant-based diet, but at least 2/3 of each plate of food (or meal) you eat is a good place to start."
https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news/...and-it-healthy

Populations that eat this way don't have epidemics of cancer, heart disease and other chronic illnesses.

Quote:
It has been said that keto hasn't passed the long-term test yet
Yes, and neither has the vegan diet. Plant-based diets, not vegan, passed the long-term test long ago (ancestral diets).

Quote:
It's a fad diet, like the Atkins diet.
Yes, but vegan is a fad diet too. Any diet that excludes food groups that contain the only whole foods source of essential nutrients, like B-12, is a fad. That is not health or scientific; it's ideology. Being united under one identity through ideology is religious, or cultish, in nature.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 07-28-2022 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Fixed link

Old 07-28-2022, 07:44 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
You should know better than that. First of all, I seldom do that type of search. And, second, most of the information turned out to be correct. Most importantly, he's a Kook because he recommends a high-fat, low-carb, risky, kook-diet that has no long term safety record.

It's a fad diet, like the Atkins diet. And what was gained by all the many copycat diets that followed? Nothing was gained. The only thing that was gained over the many years since Atkins, is more overweight people. We gained about twice as many overweight and obese people in our population. You need to look at the long term results of such diets.
And look at all the people who are NOT overweight, who are NOT vegetarian or vegan, who are living fit and healthy well into their 80's and 90's.

I live in a community of almost 150,000 seniors. It is an ACTIVE community and by that, I mean there are 75-year-old women playing fast-pitch softball on leagues here, and National Senior Games archery champions, Dragonboat captains and crew members, tennis, pickleball, a HUGE bicycling club that cycles throughout our 70-square-mile community every for fun, and then goes out to a steak dinner with baked potato and sour cream and salad with cheese and ranch dressing, and then go out to the town square square for dancing to live music.

They're fit, healthy, youthful. We don't even HAVE any vegetarian restaurants in the area, and ranch is the #1 dressing, with Duke's Real Mayonnaise as the #1 condiment for their deli-meat sandwiches.

How do they do that? By embracing science. They're omnivores, eating an omnivorous diet, splurging on "unhealthy" foods now and then and eating not just to live, but to enjoy the later years of their lives. If they're in the mood for bacon? They'll eat bacon that day. They don't eat it every day. They might not eat any meat every day. They also might not eat bread every day. But they enjoy a variety of foods.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:53 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Dr. Chaffee is a MEDICAL doctor:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000571417977

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-29-2022, 07:11 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
And look at all the people who are NOT overweight, who are NOT vegetarian or vegan, who are living fit and healthy well into their 80's and 90's.

I live in a community of almost 150,000 seniors. It is an ACTIVE community and by that, I mean there are 75-year-old women playing fast-pitch softball on leagues here, and National Senior Games archery champions, Dragonboat captains and crew members, tennis, pickleball, a HUGE bicycling club that cycles throughout our 70-square-mile community every for fun, and then goes out to a steak dinner with baked potato and sour cream and salad with cheese and ranch dressing, and then go out to the town square square for dancing to live music.

They're fit, healthy, youthful. We don't even HAVE any vegetarian restaurants in the area, and ranch is the #1 dressing, with Duke's Real Mayonnaise as the #1 condiment for their deli-meat sandwiches.

How do they do that? By embracing science. They're omnivores, eating an omnivorous diet, splurging on "unhealthy" foods now and then and eating not just to live, but to enjoy the later years of their lives. If they're in the mood for bacon? They'll eat bacon that day. They don't eat it every day. They might not eat any meat every day. They also might not eat bread every day. But they enjoy a variety of foods.
Love this, sounds like a wonderful place to live.

Longevity is much more than not eating a particular food group. Like above, it's about activity, relationships, sunshine, good choices, fun. Add in good clean water and plenty of sleep and that's the best we can do.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:35 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
To the OP

You can find almost anything online to support a position. Whether it be an authority (individual or group) or newbie.

We could use the link below against the lambs who say "Trust the Science" for global warming(climate change, vaccines)

https://www.quora.com/When-was-the-l...mportant-wrong

People and society usually repeat the same mistakes and same thoughts no matter what advances have been made in that era.
If anything history should teach you that just because the majority of people, scientists, doctors, believe "x" is right does not mean it is. Just be civil and respect each other. Of course as long as its moral to the majority. We need the majority sometimes, lol.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:38 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:
Okay, as long as you're happy with it, but I'm a vegan so it's not something I would do. The last post on the previous page will tell you why I became a vegan.
If you replace the Mozzerella and Eggs, you have a vegan pizza.
You are healthy, 81 and not feeling it, loving life and preaching the vegan news. I am NOT going to dispute someone who has found "their groove" and it is working. I applaud you. Most of us stumble through life trying to find something that works.

I am sure there are keto folks that also have never felt better. I know there are IF people that feel they have found their way.

So I am all for your choices. I don't eat much meat but eat a lot of eggs and whey protein which takes me off the vegetarian train. I have not found that perfect match yet. I also use Stevia and some artificial sweetners so I am not totally meticulous. But....other than sweetner guilt, this seems to work for me.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:48 AM

761 posts, read 445,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
Just curious, who else to listen to on Youtube besides Dr. Berg? I listened to some Jason Fung and also Thomas DeLauer but looking for anything else good.

I'm interested in low carb (not keto but don't mind hearing about it) and also IF but nothing extreme like the OMAD stuff. Mainly right now doing low carb, a very low-key IF (like 14:10) but not snacking between meals, and eating no added sugar. All this I just started 1-2 weeks ago.

Also looking for good podcasts.
I seldom listen to Youtube because the sound quality is usually poor, and it comes across as amateurish and boring. I've never seen Berg, Fung or DeLauer on Youtube. I'm not sure but I think you need to sign in to watch youtube, but who cares, I'm not interested.

Old 07-29-2022, 10:15 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
I seldom listen to Youtube because the sound quality is usually poor, and it comes across as amateurish and boring. I've never seen Berg, Fung or DeLauer on Youtube. I'm not sure but I think you need to sign in to watch youtube, but who cares, I'm not interested.
You don't need to sign into youtube. Use the search feature and you will find a wide variety of videos from all sources imaginable. Once you start watching a topic, youtube will automatically suggest more videos on that topic. If you like a specific researcher, they may have their own channel and you can watch/listen to all their lectures.

Literally, almost everything and anything you can be interested in is on youtube. I watch a lot of health videos plus some very obscure topics, many historical. Plus when a tornado was heading for my son's town I was able to find a couple of local tornado chasers giving realtime location reports on the storm. I've watched governmental policy makers in Australia discuss health issues. I've watched grizzly bears live catching fish.

Old 07-29-2022, 04:49 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
It's easy to fall down a YouTube rabbit hole; I spent all one day last week watching river rafting accidents, LOL. it's quite miraculous, but it can also be very addictive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.