Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 10:33 AM

761 posts, read 445,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
A whole foods, plant-based diet (not vegan or vegetarian) is recommended by just about everyone in the science community.
But not everyone. Dr. Campbell recommends not eating any animal protein, because he thinks that's the healthiest choice, but he leaves the door open just a little for others who think they need it.

Quote:
"A plant-based diet is not a vegetarian or vegan diet; you can eat poultry, beef, eggs, fish, and dairy products, however most of your nutrient intake is coming from plant-based sources. There is no set ratio of plants to animal foods on a plant-based diet, but at least 2/3 of each plate of food (or meal) you eat is a good place to start."[/indent]https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news/...and-it-healthy
That's incorrect. The word "vegan" exists for a purpose, to let others know that you don't eat animal protein.
And the word "vegetarian" exists to let others know that you don't eat meat. These words exist for a reason.

Quote:
Populations that eat this way don't have epidemics of cancer, heart disease and other chronic illnesses.
Yes, it's not that they don't have those diseases, it's just that they have less because they eat less animal protein.

Quote:
Yes, and neither has the vegan diet. Plant-based diets, not vegan, passed the long-term test long ago (ancestral diets).
No they haven't. What long term test? Are you talking about Paleo? Atkins? keto?

Quote:
Yes, but vegan is a fad diet too. Any diet that excludes food groups that contain the only whole foods source of essential nutrients, like B-12, is a fad. That is not health or scientific; it's ideology. Being united under one identity through ideology is religious, or cultish, in nature.
It's not a fad diet if it excludes certain foods for good reason and is healthier.

It believe it was the U.S.D.A. that came up with "food groups" as a means to support farm products. That was just a good marketing strategy and not always in the best interests of promoting health.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:24 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
I thought this to be important enough to have it's own thread, otherwise unsuspecting people could be mislead.

"Eric Berg is an American quack, antivaxxer, chiropractor, cholesterol denialist, conspiracy theorist, scientologist, and Ketogenic diet advocate. Berg promotes pseudoscientific health advice and quackery. Berg is not a medical doctor. Berg practiced chiropractic for 29 years and is now a full time You Tube blogger who has made thousands of videos offering health advice. Berg has over 4 million subscribers and claims to have made 5000 videos. Berg operates the Health and Wellness Center in Alexandria, Virginia. He describes himself as "one of the top Ketogenic diet experts in the world."

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Eric_Berg[/b]
Good heavens! That whole paragraph is a string of slurs. I would dismiss that site on those grounds alone. Not to be trusted. Calling him a chiropractor as though that is a bad thing?

They sound about as reliable as factcheckers. Worse actually.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:44 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
But not everyone. Dr. Campbell recommends not eating any animal protein, because he thinks that's the healthiest choice, but he leaves the door open just a little for others who think they need it.

That's incorrect. The word "vegan" exists for a purpose, to let others know that you don't eat animal protein.
And the word "vegetarian" exists to let others know that you don't eat meat. These words exist for a reason.

Yes, it's not that they don't have those diseases, it's just that they have less because they eat less animal protein.

No they haven't. What long term test? Are you talking about Paleo? Atkins? keto?

It's not a fad diet if it excludes certain foods for good reason and is healthier.

It believe it was the U.S.D.A. that came up with "food groups" as a means to support farm products. That was just a good marketing strategy and not always in the best interests of promoting health.
It's correct. Where have you been? Plant-based diets have been defined and studied for at least 70 years. Plant-based diets don't exclude foods. Vegan and vegetarian exclude foods.

You are doing what Campbell criticized vegans and vegetarians for --- inferring something other than what he espouses by equating vegan and vegetarian with traditional whole foods plant-based diets.

Vegans and vegetarians are desperately trying to rebrand themselves by 1) equating plant-based with their restrictive vegan and vegetarian diets, and 2) trying to redefine the term plant-based to include them because of the stigma associated with the terms vegan and vegetarian.

Old 08-01-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Good heavens! That whole paragraph is a string of slurs. I would dismiss that site on those grounds alone. Not to be trusted. Calling him a chiropractor as though that is a bad thing?

They sound about as reliable as factcheckers. Worse actually.
There's a chiropractor somewhere who's waiting for you; he wants to adjust your spine. And he wants you to come back every six months for a tuneup. I hear chiropractors on the radio telling people these things. And when they talk about nutrition, most of them are very misleading and wrong. One that I hear every week says he eats energy bars during the day whenever he feels hungry, to help keep his weight down.

Some of them have been in business for a couple of decades but still need to advertise on the radio because people are not going back after being there once or twice. Customers are not recommending them to their friends and neighbors. Now one chiropractor has been telling people on the radio to come in right away for a checkup if they get into a car accident, even if they feel okay. What are the odds he will tell them, "yeah, you need an adjustment, and don't worry, the insurance company will pay for it." $$$$$

Old 08-01-2022, 09:38 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
There's a chiropractor somewhere who's waiting for you; he wants to adjust your spine. And he wants you to come back every six months for a tuneup. I hear chiropractors on the radio telling people these things. And when they talk about nutrition, most of them are very misleading and wrong. One that I hear every week says he eats energy bars during the day whenever he feels hungry, to help keep his weight down.

Some of them have been in business for a couple of decades but still need to advertise on the radio because people are not going back after being there once or twice. Customers are not recommending them to their friends and neighbors. Now one chiropractor has been telling people on the radio to come in right away for a checkup if they get into a car accident, even if they feel okay. What are the odds he will tell them, "yeah, you need an adjustment, and don't worry, the insurance company will pay for it." $$$$$
If you haven't had the need to use a chiropractor, that's wonderful, but no need to bash the entire profession.

My family has had extremely good permanent results from the two chiropractors we have used over the past 35 years. We pay cash. We only go when we need to. And yes, the ones we've been to focus a bit differently on the whole body and not just doing tests and prescribing meds.

There's room for MD's, chiropractors and other alternative health practitioners.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:08 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
In my experience, most people consult chiropractors when they've suffered some muscular injury and "can't move" or, more rarely, herniated a disc and are suffering pain from nerve impingement. In both cases, the likeliest outcome is that the tear or strain will naturally heal in time and one will regain mobility (muscle relaxants from your GP help with straightening spasms) and the disc will naturally reabsorb (it does most of the time) and the pain will cease. This is if you visit a chiropractor, rest, or carry on as best you can; in other words, whether you do anything about it or not, the body will heal. If you visit a chiropractor and heal, of course you're going to attribute your healing to whatever he/she does, but that's not the case. Most don't even realize chiropractors aren't "doctors."

My theory? People are starved for human touch, and the attention feels good.

It's like massage, only free (although now that's considered a "therapy," too).

I personally don't think insurance should cover it when they deny or resisting paying for so many legitimate, proven effective procedures, but somehow chiros have wormed their way in.

Last edited by otterhere; 08-01-2022 at 10:22 AM..

Old 08-01-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
And look at all the people who are NOT overweight, who are NOT vegetarian or vegan, who are living fit and healthy well into their 80's and 90's.

I live in a community of almost 150,000 seniors. It is an ACTIVE community and by that, I mean there are 75-year-old women playing fast-pitch softball on leagues here, and National Senior Games archery champions, Dragonboat captains and crew members, tennis, pickleball, a HUGE bicycling club that cycles throughout our 70-square-mile community every for fun, and then goes out to a steak dinner with baked potato and sour cream and salad with cheese and ranch dressing, and then go out to the town square square for dancing to live music.

They're fit, healthy, youthful. We don't even HAVE any vegetarian restaurants in the area, and ranch is the #1 dressing, with Duke's Real Mayonnaise as the #1 condiment for their deli-meat sandwiches.

How do they do that? By embracing science. They're omnivores, eating an omnivorous diet, splurging on "unhealthy" foods now and then and eating not just to live, but to enjoy the later years of their lives. If they're in the mood for bacon? They'll eat bacon that day. They don't eat it every day. They might not eat any meat every day. They also might not eat bread every day. But they enjoy a variety of foods.
Well, good luck to you and all of them too. You stuck in a little of every food to cover all the bases. Very cleaver. But what do statistics show for the majority of the U.S. population? Statistics show that the average American consumes about twice the RDA for animal protein. That's what the following link states.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/28/w...o-we-need.html

You say, "They're fit, healthy, youthful.... And they do it by embracing science." What you described is not science. It's a haphazard variety of different things. You said sometimes they eat this and sometimes they eat that. You said they are Omnivores eating an omnivorous diet, splurging on unhealthy foods now and then. What you described is not science. It's exactly what the average American consumes and the average American eats twice the RDA of animal protein, and is either overweight or obese.

The problem is: You can't always rely on what a person looks like or how energetic they are. Look at that famous radio talk-show host who was keeping his weight under control with one of those high protein diets. He played golf and put a lot of energy into broadcasting etc. He may have thought he was being scientific. And suddenly, by surprise to him and others, he was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer.

You may think, "Oh, but that won't happen to me." But how do you know when you close your eyes to any new scientific information?, like the China study.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:25 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
The problem with "health proponents" is that they seem to think if you just do everything right (their version of it), you'll live forever. It's reassuring to think you can manifest that with what you choose to eat and how you choose to live. However, unfortunately, you can't.

None of us is getting out of here alive -- or even necessarily "long-lived" -- no matter what we do. IMO, relatively little of that is within our conscious control. So I say enjoy the ride!

Old 08-01-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
If you haven't had the need to use a chiropractor, that's wonderful, but no need to bash the entire profession.

My family has had extremely good permanent results from the two chiropractors we have used over the past 35 years. We pay cash. We only go when we need to. And yes, the ones we've been to focus a bit differently on the whole body and not just doing tests and prescribing meds.

There's room for MD's, chiropractors and other alternative health practitioners.
My father had a friend who was a chiropractor and he used him once with a good result. My father had a bone out of place in his arm and was in great pain. His friend came to our house and fixed it in about one minute. His chiropractor friend took hold of his arm and gave it a quick pull. And it gave my father instant relief. But he only needed a chiropractor that one time in his life.

Some decades later, in FL, I had terrible back pain from muscle spasms. And I saw a clinic in town that I wasn't familiar with. I thought the doctors were medical doctors. To my surprise it was a chiropractor. I told him I was having back pain because I was doing a lot of brick work that I wasn't use to. Now if he was honest, he should have said, I can't do anything for you, you just need to get rest and drink lots of water. But no, he made believe he could do something. He put his arms around my body and applied some pressure which served no purpose at all. It didn't help at all because it was a phony treatment designed perhaps for him to have an excuse to charge me for a treatment.

I later called a pharmacist and asked if there was anything that could be done for muscle spasms do to muscles being overworked and she said no. She said there are medications but what you really need is to rest those muscles and drink plenty of water.

Ever since that time, I have a very low opinion of chiropractors. And when I hear them talking on the radio, being interviewed by a talk-show host, that just serves to reinforce my low opinion of them.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:36 AM

221 posts, read 133,506 times
We follow Eric Berg heavily. My son no longer has hallucinations and his bipolar depression is 50% better due to following his diet + juicing twice per day. I changed our juice a little since the last and the prices changed so it's been decreasing in price. I want it to be $100 per month per person for the juice. We all also eat much less so it's probably a wash

I've been posting about how Super Juice me on YouTube (it' free) inspired us to juice 2x a day instead of once. So it's not just Eric Berg but a combo of both. It's curbed my major depression by 50%. Today I went cycling! I'd gotten out of doing this for years now but not so long that my body won't "remember" so it won't be that long until I am in shape. I've been in shape before so that part is the easiest. Stopping junk food was the most difficult.

This is an addiction for us. My son asks for his vegetable juice each day. My house is clean everyday. Anxiety is 20% better. I cannot tell you how much I regret waiting this long to juice. It can be expensive but here is the cost for us in California

One 8.5 ounce cup-

1 Organic Celery Stalk-.15 cents
1 Organic Carrot- .10 cents
1/4 cup White Cauliflower- .10
Cucumber- .15 cents
2-3 Large Leaves of Organic Dino Kale (1/2 cup)- $.50 cents
1/8 purple organic onion-. 15
1/2 Garlic Clove- .05
Small handful of Organic Earth Bound Cabbage leaves-. 15 cents
1/3 of a Red Onion- .25
1/8 of an Apple (mostly for flavor)- .20
----------------------------------------------------------
$1.80 per cup x 2 cups= $3.60 per day= $108 per month per person.

Next month we pick blackberries which will last us at least 4 months not paying for the apple.
We also buy frozen blueberries and add that every other day. We now grow sprouts in a jar so substitute
that will the kale. We also buy beets every 3 days, and juice both the green leaves and the beet itself. This is substituted with the Red Onion.

I thought we'd be spending a lot more $ than this but actually, the junk food I normally buy just isn't that inviting. So one candy bar I would buy every other day is now to about twice per week. And It lasts 4 hrs because half of it is delicious and it makes me feel full so I eat the other half some hours later.

I had no idea that just juicing then eating what you want will still make you feel great and loose weight. If you can hang on for 3 days, the third day is such a high I cannot see how it can't be an addiction. We grow part of our kale so sometimes I don;'t buy the expensive Dino Kale.

Last edited by RVerJenny; 08-01-2022 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.