Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Hey genius, this is an internet forum and I am stating my informed opinion.
BTW, I am not a Caps fan, so I have no skin in the game.
Now, for you and the other Datsyuk fans, not so much.
I'm a fan of both, but the Red Wings are my hometown team, the Caps are the team where I live now. I have no skin in the game either. I watch both teams and I think both PD and AO are awesome. I just get to see lots of PD and he is amazing. He just doesn't grab the headlines like AO does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 12:37 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,538,841 times
Gotta give my vote to AO. He makes some incredible moves

Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 PM

81 posts, read 194,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It's useless to compare their first years. PD played for the Wings in his first year. Have you seen the list of players that were on that team. If AO started on that team he would have been on the 4th line if not a healthy scratch.

Right now, PD is better. AO is more flash and excitement, PD is pure skill.

As to your second paragraph: the other poster did not say that PD plays twice as much as AO, nor did they say AO plays twice as much as PD. Where did you get that from?
to preface this, I am a bruins fan and want to see AO and the caps lose if they run into my precious B's

There is no way a 50 goal scorer on his 20th birthday would be a 4th line grinder on the red wings even during the superb 2002 season. I remember seeing ovechkin play in the world juniors before his NHL stint and i knew he was good enough even back than to crack the top line on most NHL clubs. The kid is that good. Yes, he would have been lower on the depth charts, but given his rookie season...second line at worst.

Don't confuse systems for players. Datsyuk is part of a world class system that wins championships...period. Ovechkin makes or breaks games by himself. PV doesn't bring the same physical presence to the game that Ovechkni does either. Datsyuk is a better set up guy by the numbers, but he has Zetterberg to dish too who is also a proven NHL point leader as well.

who did ovechkin have his rookie year? Danius Zuberus? lol

i'll conclude by saying both players bring something special to the game. This is a team sport where the best team will skate with the cup come june. I could care less if AO is better than PV, and on any given night, both could be the best. On off nights, tom Poti could be better than both!

...kidding about tom poti.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:39 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
Quote:
It's useless to compare their first years. PD played for the Wings in his first year. Have you seen the list of players that were on that team. If AO started on that team he would have been on the 4th line if not a healthy scratch.

Right now, PD is better. AO is more flash and excitement, PD is pure skill.

As to your second paragraph: the other poster did not say that PD plays twice as much as AO, nor did they say AO plays twice as much as PD. Where did you get that from?
exactly, you bring up a very good point, lots of very skilled players get less time on the Wings be/c they rotate 4 lines all the time and due to their depth.

and you're right, I said he takes more shifts and plays on thefirst unit PK along with the PP, he's more versitle but try telling that to the es*N sportscenter crowd.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:43 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangles View Post
I remember seeing ovechkin play in the world juniors before his NHL stint
really, in america?

if you did it was maybe one game against the US but not any more than that.

i suppose you were on vacation in canada, eh?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:31 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangles View Post
There is no way a 50 goal scorer on his 20th birthday would be a 4th line grinder on the red wings even during the superb 2002 season. I remember seeing ovechkin play in the world juniors before his NHL stint and i knew he was good enough even back than to crack the top line on most NHL clubs. The kid is that good. Yes, he would have been lower on the depth charts, but given his rookie season...second line at worst.
Detroit wasn't one of those clubs. That was an all-star team. Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov,Hull, Robitaille (spelling?), Larionov, etc... Neither Ovechkin or Crosby, would have made 1st or 2nd line on that team. Remember Bowman was the coach. He nearly always went with experience, especially in the playoffs. He would not have the ice time to score 50 goals on that team.

In reading the rest of the post it is obvious that you don't know what Datsyuk can do. Ovechkin does not have the moves that Dats does. The sad thing though is that neither has done much scoring in the first round. I like them both though and I'm rooting for the Caps tonight!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:52 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,683 times
Hmmmmm.......Datsyuk is up for two awards, Lidstrom is up for Norris, ....again, ......would this mean that the 'experts' think PD is a better player than AO and that Detroit is, in fact, the hockey capital of the world....... I wonder.......?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:43 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
really, in america?

if you did it was maybe one game against the US but not any more than that.

i suppose you were on vacation in canada, eh?
Maybe in 2005, in Grand Forks, USA?

Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 PM

81 posts, read 194,513 times
Quote:
Detroit wasn't one of those clubs. That was an all-star team. Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov,Hull, Robitaille (spelling?), Larionov, etc... Neither Ovechkin or Crosby, would have made 1st or 2nd line on that team. Remember Bowman was the coach. He nearly always went with experience, especially in the playoffs. He would not have the ice time to score 50 goals on that team.

In reading the rest of the post it is obvious that you don't know what Datsyuk can do. Ovechkin does not have the moves that Dats does. The sad thing though is that neither has done much scoring in the first round. I like them both though and I'm rooting for the Caps tonight!
I do not frequently watch the red wings outside of the playoffs, so I don't understand all he can do. I do look at his stats and recall from past playoff series that he fits very well into a strict defense first detriot system. There is a reason he was near the leaders in +/- all season. He helped shut down crosby and malkin last year in the finals, and was an offensive threat in even strength situations as well as special teams.

no hate towards PD here. If I had to pick a player to mold myself into, it would be PD as opposed to ovechkin for sure. Ovechkin's style is wreckless at times and not condusive to a long NHL career...he's going to get hurt.

I'll conclude by saying my opinion is that AO is the more complete player. If I was a GM and had to pick one to sign long term, right now it might be AO due to his age and ability whilst being mindful of the drawbacks of injury due to his style of play.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:47 PM

393 posts, read 1,188,236 times
Geno Malkin. Flat out.
AO might be the best goal scorer, but Malkin is the best all around player.
GO PENS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey