Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 12:52 PM

201 posts, read 656,101 times

Advertisements

I wish it was only noticeable to me...my roomate walked in and was like "what did you do????" But I think the carpets need to be cleaned anyways (they are really gross)... I guess I'll leave it for the next tenant...I hate doing that-except for that spot, the apartment is cleaner than when I moved in...( well I guess that spot is cleaner, obviously as it was sanitized by the properties of chlorox )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 02:08 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,533,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenplover View Post
I wish it was only noticeable to me...my roomate walked in and was like "what did you do????" But I think the carpets need to be cleaned anyways (they are really gross)... I guess I'll leave it for the next tenant...I hate doing that-except for that spot, the apartment is cleaner than when I moved in...( well I guess that spot is cleaner, obviously as it was sanitized by the properties of chlorox )
I'm pretty sure once you move out, the management will clean the carpet before anyone else moves in there!

Old 06-11-2008, 02:37 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Now - where all do you use the oil soap??? On the tire rims and interior or what??? I don't want to mess up something.
Everywhere! Don't even mess with armorall and that other stuff. I don't even need tireshine on my truck and the chrome shines like you wouldn't believe!

Old 06-11-2008, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 8,835 times
I have enjoyed reading all of your hints go to about.com for frugal cleaning ideas there are many.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 8,835 times
try baking soda with a damp cloth. works well on stainless steel pans

Old 06-11-2008, 05:46 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I would suggest: make some really strong tea (regular ole Lipton teabag) - and dab it to "stain" it.

Quote:
I was thinking paint? but...I don't think that I could match it exactly...*sigh* it's about half of a silver dollar- and about that same shape incredibly obvious... I might have to go get a small square of carpet...

and with that lysol product, I think I bought mine at walgreens- but beware! ventilation is a must!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:12 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I would suggest: make some really strong tea (regular ole Lipton teabag) - and dab it to "stain" it.
You know, I have used a "tea stain" on linens to give them that "antique look."

Old 06-11-2008, 06:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Everywhere! Don't even mess with armorall and that other stuff. I don't even need tireshine on my truck and the chrome shines like you wouldn't believe!
That is amazing!!!! Thank you for sharing the info! I would NEVER have thought of this one!!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:11 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip about the Lysol. I will have to try that.

Sorry about your carpet. Bleach will do that.
Can you steal a small square of carpet from way back in the closet. You could use it as a cutting template and then switch the squares. Put the stained square in the closet. If this was your carpet since its old and nasty anyway Id tell you to think about bleaching the whole carpet. I wouldnt try any kind of stain or paint. Youll just end up with a darker spot instead of a light spot.

Thats what I do when I get bleach on my clothes. Sometimes Ill just spray them so they look like tie die. Or you can draw things with a chlorox bleach pen if youre into that kinda stuff. I dont like to toss stuff if I can repurpose it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. But if is hosed anyway then why not experiment a little.

Sometimes when I get a stain that absolutely wont come out. I take a chance and soak or spray or stencil the item in whatever stained it. Dont do this unless its a toss away anyway.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:21 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Your problem is not that the clorox stained the carpet, but rather it removed the dye in the carpet. Cleaning the carpet won't help the mark. Nothing short of re-dying the carpet would help and that ain't easy to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House