Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 09:24 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,397 times

Advertisements

Actually that is what you said and everyone has told you your theory of a toaster oven in tomorrow's kitchen is a theory held by one. I don't understand why you don't realize that defending your oven theory held by no one else is creating the snarkyness. Accept the reality that no one agrees with your idea of tomorrow's kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 09:42 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
So far this week:

Baked a whole chicken, 1.5 hours, baked bread, 30 min, baked muffins, 20 min, baked fish, 30 min, reheated leftover pizza, 20 min. On the stove top I've fixed: rice, green beans, homemade pasta sauce, pasta, breakfast eggs more than once, and boiled water for tea.

There are just three of us.

People still cook. Your ideas on how people live are so far out there I have to wonder if you're basing your assumptions on tv shows like Friends.
It's not just some idea I pulled out of thin air.

Here's some reading to get you caught up on where we are as a country:

28% of American don't know how to cook

the average American spends a mere 27 minutes a day on food preparation

Americans Cook the Least, Eat the Fastest

Amount of time spent cooking in UK has HALVED since 1980s and most people survive on diet of sandwiches

Now which direction do you think we're heading - toward cooking more or cooking less? We're talking about Millennials that are used to instant gratification and would rather be playing video games/watching the Kadashians rather than making large meals in the kitchen. My guess is the trend continues and Americans cook less and less.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Actually that is what you said and everyone has told you your theory of a toaster oven in tomorrow's kitchen is a theory held by one. I don't understand why you don't realize that defending your oven theory held by no one else is creating the snarkyness. Accept the reality that no one agrees with your idea of tomorrow's kitchen.
I'm not looking for agreement. However some seem unwilling to accept how cooking trends have changed.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:55 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I'm not looking for agreement. However some seem unwilling to accept how cooking trends have changed.
You are looking for disagreement and you are unwilling to accept that everyone else is telling you that cooking trends have not changed.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
You are looking for disagreement and you are unwilling to accept that everyone else is telling you that cooking trends have not changed.
One simple stat alone can refute this claim - household size.

In 1970 17% of people lived alone - it jumped to 27% in 2007.

Here is a chart of household size from 1948-2012

As you can see, we've essentially eliminated 1 person from the average household.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:22 PM

33 posts, read 30,888 times
Quote:
Again, I will refer to average cooking times being 27 minutes. I believe you would be making quite the claim if you're arguing that the average American cooks a lot.

here is another article for your reading pleasure: Americans Prefer Eating at Home but Still Don

So is it really me that has a problem envisioning how others live?

Spot on from where I sit.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:27 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
Reread your OP and title of your thread and tell us who has drifted. If you wanted to give a sociology lesson why not be honest and do it from the outset? That would have been honest and mature. But You posted about a remodelling idea...

Old 01-22-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Reread your OP and title of your thread and tell us who has drifted. If you wanted to give a sociology lesson why not be honest and do it from the outset? That would have been honest and mature. But You posted about a remodelling idea...
I don't see any notable drift...and if one doesn't care for the direction of a thread they can always say it's BS and move on to another topic. The future was brought up when everyone decided to bring up resale value...that opens the door to questions of how the American kitchen will be different in the future.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:40 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
Quote:
One simple stat alone can refute this claim - household size.

In 1970 17% of people lived alone - it jumped to 27% in 2007.

Here is a chart of household size from 1948-2012

As you can see, we've essentially eliminated 1 person from the average household.
How clever, as way back in your early posts you innocently ask if it's just you. Suddenly a chart!

If you wanted to discuss population and cultural trends and home kitchen design, by all means do so, that is actually interesting. But don't be coy and say you're interested in remodelling advice at the outset. Your mind has been made up and you knew it. l

Old 01-22-2015, 10:40 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Your gf and you may grow up someday and decide to cook something besides a frozen pizza. Or you may be forced to because you don't have the $ to eat out.

My brother has lived without an oven for over a year. He's a single, middle aged guy who ran out of $ during a remodel and just let it go. He figured the toaster oven, microwave and bbq would do him fine. And it has...only this xmas he asked us to help pitch in so he could get a real oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House