Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2019, 04:52 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,861 times

Advertisements

Cat 7 cable ! We are rebuilding our house so we decided to go with the newest cable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 09:11 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
a smart water device (remote shut off and app monitoring of home water)
You may be able to get a homeowners insurance discount for this.

Quote:
smart sprinkler system
Is it truly smart? As in, did you install sensors at various locations that determine if a plant actually needs to be watered? Or does it know it rained yesterday so it adjusts the water schedule appropriately (but does so without actual sensors)? Or is it merely WiFi enabled so you can manually adjust the schedule from a smart phone?

Old 11-24-2019, 06:51 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

Is it truly smart? As in, did you install sensors at various locations that determine if a plant actually needs to be watered? Or does it know it rained yesterday so it adjusts the water schedule appropriately (but does so without actual sensors)? Or is it merely WiFi enabled so you can manually adjust the schedule from a smart phone?
Most sprinklers systems have a sensor for moisture and frost. Mine does. It won't go off if the sensor indicates that the soil is already wet. Mine isn't even a "smart" system.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:05 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,639,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

It’s the only and best smart irrigation system I know of, which is Rachio. It doesn’t measure at any sensors, it knows by your zip code if it rained or not or if it will rain soon, then skips the watering. I find that useful but mainly I just like it for app control of the zones and schedules so I never have to think about it. Our plants are all agave varieties, they need very little watering anyway so even if it thought it rained because it rained half a mile away but not here somehow, it still wouldn’t matter these plants can survive on little water.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:54 AM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
It’s the only and best smart irrigation system I know of, which is Rachio. It doesn’t measure at any sensors, it knows by your zip code if it rained or not or if it will rain soon, then skips the watering. I find that useful but mainly I just like it for app control of the zones and schedules so I never have to think about it. Our plants are all agave varieties, they need very little watering anyway so even if it thought it rained because it rained half a mile away but not here somehow, it still wouldn’t matter these plants can survive on little water.
Do you use watering hoses (water seeps through hose slowly into the ground) or do you use sprinklers? Does the system also monitor outside temperatures and stay off if below certain temperatures near freezing?

Old 11-25-2019, 05:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
We bought a new countertop convection oven when we found them on sale at BB&B. We wanted to replace our old noisy Cuisinart, but I was not willing to pull the trigger until I saw some reduced prices.

We bought a Breville. I’ve made toast in it for the last 10 days or so, and I will say that it makes beautiful toast. We’ve done some reheating, and I’ve broiled chicken sausages. Everything has turned out well. I intend to use the Warming function on Thanksgiving.

I’m doing more sausages tonight.

Not only is this a useful appliance, it looks great too.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:34 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We bought a new countertop convection oven when we found them on sale at BB&B. We wanted to replace our old noisy Cuisinart, but I was not willing to pull the trigger until I saw some reduced prices.

We bought a Breville. I’ve made toast in it for the last 10 days or so, and I will say that it makes beautiful toast. We’ve done some reheating, and I’ve broiled chicken sausages. Everything has turned out well. I intend to use the Warming function on Thanksgiving.

I’m doing more sausages tonight.

Not only is this a useful appliance, it looks great too.
I need to replace my countertop oven soon, so this post is very helpful. Thanks!

Old 11-26-2019, 03:26 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,639,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Do you use watering hoses (water seeps through hose slowly into the ground) or do you use sprinklers? Does the system also monitor outside temperatures and stay off if below certain temperatures near freezing?
All of the irrigation is a drip system, basically. I don’t think it waters if it’s freezing but that’s zero concern here - zero - it doesn’t freeze during the day in Las Vegas and in the winter you don’t water at night, you water after it’s light outside. I would assume give how advanced this system is it understands freezing though because it does track the temperatures.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:30 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
I have a Rachio 3 - I’m about 90% happy with it. Their “hyper local” weather doesn’t always catch that it rained locally.

The app control is very handy and the ability to have different watering times per zone is great. Plus the price at Costco was great. Also really easy to install.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:46 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I need to replace my countertop oven soon, so this post is very helpful. Thanks!
Look into Panasonic countertop convection oven as well - they are excellent-could be had for a regular $99- or as low as $69.(exactly all the same functions except it does not have a “ slow cook- 10 hour function as Breville does)
As good or better as Breville at $249 otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House