Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2020, 07:19 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times

Advertisements

I bought one of those ridiculously expensive "Simplehuman" trash & recycle bins. I had a GC to Crate & Barrel, otherwise I would have had trouble spending $200 on a trash can!

But, honestly, I have to say that I love this stupid thing. It really neatens up the corner where I used to have my trash and recycling, it keeps everything organized. And the mechanism on the pedal control and the lid is so smooth, it really is a nice component. The lid actually works with a soft close operation. Is it actually worth that much money? Well, I don't know, but I'm glad to have it in my home anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 05:29 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude24 View Post
The kids bought my wife an "Alexa". She is not highly tech savvy and it took a little while for her to get used to it, but she really likes it now. I added a smart light bulb too. When she is getting ready to go somewhere I hear her asking about the weather, time, traffic, etc. I leave very early most mornings, but she has it wake her to her favorite music. She is slightly paranoid knowing that it is always listening, but we are usually not plotting any kind of overthrow or anything. I suspect we will add some other smart-home things in the future. I am a bit concerned that they are becoming close friends and may be scheming behind my back :-)
I’ve got a bunch of Amazon Echo devices in my home. They work well as an intercom system.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:23 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I’m making friends with Alexa too. Hubby bought a bunch of plugs and switches which aren’t compatible, but we are on a learning curve, so we’ll figure it out.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:07 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
I've had these splash guards for over a year for my bath/shower combo. I no longer have to yell at kids and hubby for not being more careful about the shower curtain being tucked in properly.

No more puddles on the floor!!!! It was more than puddles a few times, actually caused a puddle on the basement floor from the first floor bath/shower above it

I got both of these. But the shower curtain things are what really made a difference.

https://www.amazon.com/SlipX-Solutio.../dp/B001BVMS2K

And this splash guard. Is made much better than the little cheap one that are sold. It's surprisingly well made, heavy duty plastic. Installed very easily. I did run some caulking anyways.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Magic-White...rds/1000192431

Last edited by Izzie1213; 01-18-2020 at 10:16 AM..

Old 01-18-2020, 11:40 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
https://www.harrietcarter.com/househ...er/713002.html

Highly recommend this especially if you have short arms or arthritis. The handle is solid metal with a textured no slip grip. It has two bolts and nuts with a backing plate to attach to a recliner handle.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:46 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I bought one of those ridiculously expensive "Simplehuman" trash & recycle bins. I had a GC to Crate & Barrel, otherwise I would have had trouble spending $200 on a trash can!

But, honestly, I have to say that I love this stupid thing. It really neatens up the corner where I used to have my trash and recycling, it keeps everything organized. And the mechanism on the pedal control and the lid is so smooth, it really is a nice component. The lid actually works with a soft close operation. Is it actually worth that much money? Well, I don't know, but I'm glad to have it in my home anyway.
I have an $80 Simple Human pedal open kitchen trash can. I have had it for 2 years and it works great, looks great. The Kroger tall kitchen bags with the stretch tops fit it, rather than buying the expensive Simple Human version. I am completely happy with it. https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...uman-trash-can

Old 01-18-2020, 03:15 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I have an $80 Simple Human pedal open kitchen trash can. I have had it for 2 years and it works great, looks great. The Kroger tall kitchen bags with the stretch tops fit it, rather than buying the expensive Simple Human version. I am completely happy with it. https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...uman-trash-can
My regular Glad trash bags fit just fine in my unit. The way the lid works keep in place much better than my former can did. It has the one rim that fits over the top of the two sides that stays put until you pull it up to remove a bag or the recycle bin and then the soft-lid on top of that. The rim that stays put does a great job of holding the bag in place, even when I throw something heavy out. That was always a frustration with the old can. I was forever pulling the bag back up from inside the can and trying to fit it in place. And whenever I threw out anything with even a little bit of weight to it, the whole bag would disappear to the bottom of the can.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:45 AM

417 posts, read 455,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I've had these splash guards for over a year for my bath/shower combo. I no longer have to yell at kids and hubby for not being more careful about the shower curtain being tucked in properly.

No more puddles on the floor!!!! It was more than puddles a few times, actually caused a puddle on the basement floor from the first floor bath/shower above it

I got both of these. But the shower curtain things are what really made a difference.

https://www.amazon.com/SlipX-Solutio.../dp/B001BVMS2K

And this splash guard. Is made much better than the little cheap one that are sold. It's surprisingly well made, heavy duty plastic. Installed very easily. I did run some caulking anyways.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Magic-White...rds/1000192431
This looks like something I need to check out. I like that ( I watched video) it doesn't need anything to stick on to anything else.Worth a try for sure.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 10,869,900 times
https://www.amazon.com/Safco-Product.../dp/B00MA7HCKW

Safco lamps for office and nightstands. Bought and tested several as presents. The first recipient loves it

Old 01-21-2020, 07:59 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
I bought a rechargeable light to install in my pantry, which has no light. It comes with the option of installing with screws or an adhesive magnet strip. The magnet is nice because you can just take it down to charge it or use as a hand lamp to peer into back corners. It is motion-activated and comes on when I open the pantry door. I have only had it for a couple of days, so I can't speak to longevity, but it was easy to set up and install. I am happy to have the extra light!
Attached Thumbnails
What Have You Recently Bought For Your House That You Would Recommend??-20200121_201842.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House