Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2019, 07:21 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

We have under cupboard lighting in the kitchen. The bulbs were hot and constantly needing to be replaced. We just switched to LED bulbs. They are bright, cool, and supposedly long lasting. We shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 09:26 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
These nubby, rubbery, tennis-ball sized balls you put in the dryer in lieu of dryer sheets.

Can't post a picture at the moment.
I have three wool balls in my dryer.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:28 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We replaced a 10 year old Cuisinart. I had noticed that the toast function had to be turned up to get the same toast we were used to getting. And it had gotten more noisy. And it looked really shabby next to our new appliances.

I find the counter top ovens really useful.

We used the Bagel function for the first time yesterday. Beautiful toasted bagels. Cream cheese. Homemade jam that was gifted to us. Yum.
I wanted to add that the Breville is a breeze to clean. The bottom slides out of the front, and is super slick. I can clean it with hot water and a cloth. Wiping the door and rack is also easy. I

Old 12-17-2019, 09:36 AM

430 posts, read 284,079 times
The kids bought my wife an "Alexa". She is not highly tech savvy and it took a little while for her to get used to it, but she really likes it now. I added a smart light bulb too. When she is getting ready to go somewhere I hear her asking about the weather, time, traffic, etc. I leave very early most mornings, but she has it wake her to her favorite music. She is slightly paranoid knowing that it is always listening, but we are usually not plotting any kind of overthrow or anything. I suspect we will add some other smart-home things in the future. I am a bit concerned that they are becoming close friends and may be scheming behind my back :-)

Old 12-17-2019, 09:42 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I thought I had posted this before, but a quick search yields nada.
Anyway we bough this several months ago and I think they are terrific.

We have them scattered around the house (in hallways and bathrooms and guestroom). Night lights with light sensors. When it's dark, they light up a soft light. We got them at Ikea. They have a few different ones and I am pretty sure this is what we have. We noticed them when we stayed at a friend's house and were so impressed with them. When you get up in the middle of the night, you can see where you're going without having to turn on the light, and the light is soft enough to not be glaring. And, check out the price!
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ljuster...hite-40268756/
We just did the same! Love it! bought at Target for $10-12 a piece.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:16 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude24 View Post
The kids bought my wife an "Alexa". She is not highly tech savvy and it took a little while for her to get used to it, but she really likes it now. I added a smart light bulb too. When she is getting ready to go somewhere I hear her asking about the weather, time, traffic, etc. I leave very early most mornings, but she has it wake her to her favorite music. She is slightly paranoid knowing that it is always listening, but we are usually not plotting any kind of overthrow or anything. I suspect we will add some other smart-home things in the future. I am a bit concerned that they are becoming close friends and may be scheming behind my back :-)
Santa is bringing us one, too. We played with it at my daughters and enjoyed it.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:27 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
These nubby, rubbery, tennis-ball sized balls you put in the dryer in lieu of dryer sheets.

Can't post a picture at the moment.

I tried them once. Very noisy.

Now I make balls out of aluminum foil. They dissipate the static. Still somewhat noisy but not as bad as the rubber balls were.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:06 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Link?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0762WCF3V..._viqaEbT4PF7HS

Total black out. Noone can see inside and when you go outside, no light is visible from the inside. You may see sunlight around the edges if you don't have them adjusted properly but once you get them right, you won't see any sunlight at all.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:20 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0762WCF3V..._viqaEbT4PF7HS

Total black out. Noone can see inside and when you go outside, no light is visible from the inside. You may see sunlight around the edges if you don't have them adjusted properly but once you get them right, you won't see any sunlight at all.
I had very expensive, custom Hunter Douglas blinds done for my house. They're all a very light parchment color, but I got the blackout feature for the blinds in two bedrooms (the third bedroom became my office and I replaced the window with a door to the backyard).

Anyway, I wondered how good the blackout feature would really be on such light-colored and delicate blinds. Well, I've been extremely happy with them, and pleasantly surprised. They cut out all the light to the point where I find myself oversleeping regularly. Frankly, it's bliss. The blinds otherwise look beautiful too and maintain the look I wanted for those rooms. I'm glad that I spent the extra money to have the bedrooms blackout-enabled.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:02 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,432,987 times
Kasa smart plugs to turn on lights remotely. I love it so much I am buying smart outlets now with USB ports.

Kasa Smart WiFi Plug by TP-Link -... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0178IC734...p_mob_ap_share
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House