Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 09:15 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmill View Post
Call me weird, but i actually enjoy the sound of the dishwasher. My mind sees it as satisfying like "ok, everything's cleaned up, dishes are loaded and being washed.. time to relax"
I get that, but there’s loud, and there’s LOUD. I find it satisfying when the washer, drier and dishwasher are all going. Very satisfying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 11:14 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
There is currently in the Decorating forum, a big discussion about open plan versus closed room plan homes. I think in an open plan home, the quiet dishwasher is best. Our old dishwasher was only moderately noisy, but our new Bosch is actually quiet. Love that!

My first dishwasher (1971) sounded like it was grinding glass when it ran.

Old 10-04-2019, 04:05 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,052,389 times
Ikea comforters. We needed to replace our down comforters that were decades old and fraying. They were expensive when we bought them - I think we paid around $149 each for them. They were great and lasted a long time but we were ready to freshen things up. A friend told me about Ikea comforters and I scoffed. I thought they would be terrible and cheap. Well, I was half right - they were super "cheap" as in we paid $49 for them, but they are just as wonderful if not better than our older ones. They are just as warm yet lighter and fluffier. They also washer easier and I can wash them in our washer at home instead of having to take them to the cleaners to be laundered in the bigger machines. We are very happy. Got some cute duvet covers, too!

Old 10-05-2019, 06:27 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,423,398 times
Good to consider about the comforters. We used to have the down which also lasted many years. Have since replaced with the down alternative (various brands bought at TJMaxx /Marshalls) and love them. I don't have an easy time using the duvet covers on them (they fit but don't look very neat when I do it) so mostly just use with a top sheet and wash when needed.
I will consider Ikea when needing additional or replacements.
I did get the mattress pads from Ikea last year and they are wonderful. They have ample depth for the larger mattress and are really nicely quilted and wash great.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:17 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,149,862 times
Hand shower on a slide pole! We've actually had this for a few years, and I love it. Makes showering for all heights perfectly comfortable, as well as making cleaning the shower a breeze. Not our exact model but here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-Accessor...0673743&sr=8-4

Old 10-10-2019, 11:42 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,432,987 times
First Alert HOME1 ABC 2.5 Pound Rechargeable Fire Extinguisher-HOME1-1-A:10-B:C-10-Year Warranty, 1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EFQCKI..._AZ2NDb3SEAV7E

Old 10-12-2019, 07:23 AM

80 posts, read 33,089 times
A memory foam mattress. The change was not immediate but it helped my back feel better (or so I think after weeks of use). Also a wood sealer for some of our outdoor furniture. I suppose there's no one fix for everything, but you can at least know the basics of what you're looking for on here. Besides making wood pieces look better imo (I like a little aged look), it also ensures its durability.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:54 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,671,743 times
A new LG dishwasher. I am so happy! It's not quite as quiet as the Bosch it replaced, but it holds a lot more, actually gets everything clean, and almost everything dry. No more drying everything I take out of the DW and rewashing half of it by hand. Yay! Did I mention I am so happy? LOL.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:58 AM

5,868 posts, read 11,930,600 times
I finally upgraded my kitchen - at least the cooking side. New LG induction stove and LG over the range microwave and the new cookware arrived today as well. I'm a very happy cook right now!

Old 10-23-2019, 01:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Having a lot of fun with my new house’s Alexa Show and general smart home gadgets. I have light switches coming for every room but guest bedroom and laundry (it’s motion automated anyway), a smart water device (remote shut off and app monitoring of home water), smart sprinkler system, Lutron blinds with Alexa support, etc. It’s all so much fun and really does make life easier. I haven’t even done 1/4 of what I want yet but already I can tell Alexa goodnight and it turns on my bedside fan, makes sure the front door is locked, turns off all kitchen devices, and puts all of the homes Echo units into do not disturb mode.
This is cool. Heck, I just installed some Nest outdoor cameras, and a doorbell, and a security system and I feel all high tech operating it all from my phone.

I don't have an app for my sprinkler system but it's easy to operate. Hmmm....

In my previous house I had Lutron lights installed and I really did use those to give the impression that we were home when we weren't. I will probably get that going again after I recover from all the other hits on my bank accounts since we moved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House