Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:29 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,474,247 times

Advertisements

I enjoy The Unsellables because I can't believe what people do to their homes and then don't understand why it won't sell. Like the people with half a dozen animals that had cat and dog hair and lizard poop all over the hardwood floors. Or the family with the baby that had EVERY room crammed full of toys and baby paraphernalia - including the porch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 03:36 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,418,065 times
here you go. Maybe I'll see one of you on t.v. There not filming anything in my area.
Be On HGTV : On TV : Home & Garden Television

Forgot to mention a new show premiers Thursday night 10:30 PDT called For Rent. Could always watch something new

Old 04-01-2009, 08:09 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,648,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I mostly watch House Hunters. Like summers19 said, since back when they would not tell the prices.

Most other shows are just comedy made for TV junk. When your in the construction industry you really see how stupid most of the shows are. For example when they start painting a wall they take a roller without a pole and start in the middle of the wall at eye level and do like a "W" pattern and then everyone looks at it and says woo woo. If I ever seen one of my contractors painting that way I would dump his head in the paint can..

Then my favorite....when those in TV land tells the public that you can paint cabinets. You can not. And sometimes they install new cabinets and tell those of us in TV land that you can do a whole new kitchen for a thousand dollars. After these shows air my kitchen showroom get busy with those who watched that show and want their thousand dollar kitchen too. Yea right. That might buy you 2 medium sized cabinets.

Then they try and tell us that refacing is cheaper. Yea and I just hit the pick 6 lotto 5 consectutive nights in a row. Refacing is ALWAYS more expensive then replacing with new. Even if the prices were even, what you are doing is simular to dressing a man in a nice clean pressed suit and tie but put dirty shoes on him. I will replace cheaper then refacing any day of the year.

It's just entertainment people. Real home remodeling does not work like they do it on TV and certianly costs more.
Oh yeah, I so agree. It is pure entertainment. As a construction man myself, I actually cringe when I see anyone painting a room, all dressed up too mind you. LOL. I laugh when I see a group of idiots jump into a wall and try to knock it down.(yeah, thats real safe)
I scream when I see kitchen cabinets getting painted white. Hello, people all cabinets (like the other poster said), cannot be painted, unless of course you never plan to go near them, they will chip and peel away.

...and whats with staging a house? Just remove some clutter and clean it.
Why do the rooms have to be defined as to what they are?? I think I could figure out that a dining room is a dining room, even if a previous owner has gym equipment in the middle of the room... LOL
Just because you have an extra bedroom, it does not mean it is a guest room, it can be whatever the home owner needs it to be whether a junk room, office, craft room, whatever.....

but nevertheless, I still watch the programs and do enjoy them. Curb appeal is my favorite....

Old 04-01-2009, 11:49 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,964 times
I like Curb Appeal, Designed To Sell, Color Splash, Decorating Cents, Color Correction, Deserving Design and Get Color. (although I haven't seen a lot of new episodes for Get Color)

I like House Hunters, Property Virgins and My First Place, but mostly because I just like seeing what other homes look like inside. Sometimes I get a giggle about some of the things that the people looking at the homes complain about, like I really don't care for the color of the granite, or the bathroom is to small, or there is not enough closet space, as their words echo back at them. Heck a lot of those things I would be thrilled to have as they are better than what I currently have. I'd love to have granite countertops, I wouldn't care what color they were. I'd love to have a bathroom where both my husband can fit into it at one time without standing on each other. Heck I would love to have a bedroom closet longer than 6' and 2 & 1/2' deep.

Shows I destest is Myles of Style and Design on a Dime. They come up with some of the most ridiculous decorating ideas. Most the time the rooms are goddy looking and I would be embarrassed to have someone come and see my place after they were done.

Yeah I watch a lot of HGTV too. But I'm a big Time DIYer and I'm always looking for great ideas and insperations.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:54 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,122,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Oh yeah, I so agree. It is pure entertainment. As a construction man myself, I actually cringe when I see anyone painting a room, all dressed up too mind you. LOL. I laugh when I see a group of idiots jump into a wall and try to knock it down.(yeah, thats real safe)
I scream when I see kitchen cabinets getting painted white. Hello, people all cabinets (like the other poster said), cannot be painted, unless of course you never plan to go near them, they will chip and peel away.

...and whats with staging a house? Just remove some clutter and clean it.
Why do the rooms have to be defined as to what they are?? I think I could figure out that a dining room is a dining room, even if a previous owner has gym equipment in the middle of the room... LOL
Just because you have an extra bedroom, it does not mean it is a guest room, it can be whatever the home owner needs it to be whether a junk room, office, craft room, whatever.....

but nevertheless, I still watch the programs and do enjoy them. Curb appeal is my favorite....
youre a construction man alright

Old 04-02-2009, 04:34 AM

169 posts, read 1,489,575 times
I like House Hunters, Property Virgin and Hidden Potential. We in fact, bought a foreclosure in a very affluent area 120K below the property prices there and spent 50 K to remodel it after watching Hidden Potential....

I am a huge HG tv fan.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:25 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,648,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
youre a construction man alright

ummmm, yeah......maybe working with concrete all day has just a little to do with it???

Old 04-02-2009, 01:37 PM

47 posts, read 279,163 times
Default Wish me luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGirl View Post
OMG, Sandra rocks!!

After I had watched a few of her shows, I pulled up her website and sent her an e-mail telling her how much I loved it. Since I like hockey (and she lives in Canada when she's not travelling), I asked her if she liked hockey.

I couldn't believe the awesome e-mail she sent back! She said all through her childhood, she played hockey on a boy's team.. She was THAT good!

She also told me that now, with her show, her real estate business, her books, and everything else she does.. she only has time to catch an NHL game if someone stops by with a ticket & asks to if she wants to go.

Anyway.. she absolutely LOVES doing that show!

The one thing that would make that show even more perfect.. is if they could go back to it after the people are settled in (like they do on House Hunters).. A lot of times you never see the outside after they obtain the keys.

In any event.. Sandra's personality is perfect for that show!
So my hubby and I applied for Property Virgins, and we're actually doing a casting video this Sunday for the show. We don't get to meet Sandra, they just come out to our place with a camera and interview us, then the tape gets sent to HGTV for the final say. They're interviewing 8 couples for 5 episodes....I'm kinda nervous!!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:11 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times
It's quite a trick to attract people to watch a half-hour show whose middle part is basically watching paint dry. No matter how many adorable young women try to make it look perky and fascinating.
(I often watch the first few minutes and the last only).

Old 04-02-2009, 06:03 PM

613 posts, read 1,018,158 times
Top Chef...oh, no, that's Bravo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House