Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 01:21 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer9 View Post
Your German friend, Adolph, is dead silly

You disagree with me, and I really don't care. I'll well-educated, I work hard and live comfortably. All I know is that all the disgruntled people who voted for Trump are going to be in the same position 10 years from now. They're a reactionary group. They like to blame illegal immigrants, minorities, Democrats, Obama, and everyone else for their problems. Did the illegal immigrant who gets paid below minimum wage to wash your disgusting sheets after your stay in a hotel really take your job? What about the illegal immigrant who spends long hours tending as a farmhand in the scorching sun? You want that job? Businesses (including Trump Tower) hired illegal immigrants and exploited their cheap labor. Asian immigrants helped build your railroads and mine gold. Blacks slaved in farms and cotton fields. Americans have enjoyed the the fruits of immigrants' labor for centuries. And now when it's convenient, it's a "huge problem." The hypocrisy.

Mostly I feel bad for the MAGA Trumper. It's a shame. Trump could have done lots of good for lower socioeconomic white voters. He could've put technical training programs to transition the displaced coal miners and other marginalized groups to a more relevant 21st century industry. Instead he decided to give corporations a big tax cut, which primarily benefits wealthy shareholders. None of that is going to trickle down into YOUR bank account. Promises were kept, but not to regular people like you or I.

I call it like I see it. I wish more Trumpers would just own up to being racists instead of crouching their message behind "MAGA". I don't have a problem with racists. In fact, I say you have a right to be as bigoted as you want in your personal life. You stay in your lane and I stay in mine. But the president ofthe United States has no business promoting bigotry. I'm 2nd generation immigrant, and this country is just as much mine as it is yours.

And I'm not a "Dem." I vote by the candidate. I've voted both Republican and Democrat in the past.

Given the second bolded, why did you use the term 'your railroads' in the first bolded rather than 'our railroads' ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 01:24 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
The MAGA voter is a modern Archie Bunker. Straight up.

In another thread, someone wrote that we have 'an Archie Bunker' as President.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:48 AM

13 posts, read 19,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Given the second bolded, why did you use the term 'your railroads' in the first bolded rather than 'our railroads' ?
For my literary challenged friend: "An Audience is the person for whom a writer writes, or composer composes. A writer uses a particular style of language, tone, and content according to what he knows about his audience. In simple words, audience refers to the spectators, listeners, and intended readers of a writing, performance, or speech."

My intended audience was the MAGA Trumper. Hence, the "your."

It's interesting how you honed in on two words and ignored the substance of my post. Trump has y'all figured out. He knows MAGAs don't like to read and so he communicates via short tweets to you. "2nd amendment, vets, strong borders": sound familiar?

I'll never figure out how a New Yorker born with a silver spoon in his mouth and 5 draft deferments represents patriotism and working class values. Or how a man with multiple marital infidelities represents the values of Christian conservatives. Or how a businessman who filed multiple bankruptcies can be considered to be fiscally conservative.

I'm also confused how spineless Ted Cruz represents Texan conservative values. He accepts the endorsement of a man who insulted his wife and family, and not to mention labeled him "lyin' Ted." I thought Texans were more proud than that.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:43 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer9 View Post
For my literary challenged friend: "An Audience is the person for whom a writer writes, or composer composes. A writer uses a particular style of language, tone, and content according to what he knows about his audience. In simple words, audience refers to the spectators, listeners, and intended readers of a writing, performance, or speech."

My intended audience was the MAGA Trumper. Hence, the "your."

It's interesting how you honed in on two words and ignored the substance of my post. Trump has y'all figured out. He knows MAGAs don't like to read and so he communicates via short tweets to you. "2nd amendment, vets, strong borders": sound familiar?

I'll never figure out how a New Yorker born with a silver spoon in his mouth and 5 draft deferments represents patriotism and working class values. Or how a man with multiple marital infidelities represents the values of Christian conservatives. Or how a businessman who filed multiple bankruptcies can be considered to be fiscally conservative.

I'm also confused how spineless Ted Cruz represents Texan conservative values. He accepts the endorsement of a man who insulted his wife and family, and not to mention labeled him "lyin' Ted." I thought Texans were more proud than that.

It does make one scratch the head in confusion for sure

Old 10-29-2018, 08:15 AM

3,163 posts, read 2,053,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
They voted against HW and voted for Perot in 92. They started protesting again in 2010 when the deficit started exploding again. Then everybody and their dog claimed to be a tea partier so it got diluted. It will start again if the Republicans don't fulfill their promises on the budget in addition to the promise on taxes. Its only been two years.
They were protesting the last administration within a month of Obama's inauguration, with a smaller annual deficit. They don't actually care about the concept of overspending - they care about what the money is being spent on.

They are straight astroturf and they won't show up in any real way regardless of what this administration spends. Let's be honest and stop defending them as if their role was actually to defend some noble anti-spending cause. Their role was to galvanize conservatives who didn't like what the money was being spent on to vote in 2010. Like a lot of the "fiscal conservatives" out there, they just don't support spending that doesn't benefit them. But all that government spending talk goes quiet if its the military that's getting huge plus-ups (as is the case now).

Most of them couldn't care less if the Federal government overspends, as long as they more broadly support the party spending all the money. I won't hold my breath waiting on the big anti-Trump Administration protests from the tea party that will never happen.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:33 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
They were protesting the last administration within a month of Obama's inauguration, with a smaller annual deficit. They don't actually care about the concept of overspending - they care about what the money is being spent on.

They are straight astroturf and they won't show up in any real way regardless of what this administration spends. Let's be honest and stop defending them as if their role was actually to defend some noble anti-spending cause. Their role was to galvanize conservatives who didn't like what the money was being spent on to vote in 2010. Like a lot of the "fiscal conservatives" out there, they just don't support spending that doesn't benefit them. But all that government spending talk goes quiet if its the military that's getting huge plus-ups (as is the case now).

Most of them couldn't care less if the Federal government overspends, as long as they more broadly support the party spending all the money. I won't hold my breath waiting on the big anti-Trump Administration protests from the tea party that will never happen.
Let's be honest. You don't know any tea-partiers and just get your talking points from leftist media. You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

They were fed up with the Republicans spending like drunken Democrats and that's part of the reason the Republicans lost the House in 2006. Trillion dollar bailouts by W. and Obama were the triggers.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:25 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
I keep forgetting that this is going on in the background. A friendly update from Fox: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/who...a-probe-so-far

The tea will really start to spill after the midterms.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:17 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Well it looks like the rally might have helped after all.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/10/30/...n-latest-poll/

Ted Cruz has pulled even further ahead of Beto based on an updated poll from CBS Dallas, he now holds 10 point lead over the Irish wonder.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:33 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Well it looks like the rally might have helped after all.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/10/30/...n-latest-poll/

Ted Cruz has pulled even further ahead of Beto based on an updated poll from CBS Dallas, he now holds 10 point lead over the Irish wonder.
Dixie Strategies Poll?

Old 10-30-2018, 04:39 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Dixie Strategies Poll?
Yes, have you not heard of them before?

Dixie Strategies

CBS Dallas contracts them for polling often.

Turn off your race card radar, Everything named "Dixie" isn't racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston