Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2018, 08:50 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,087,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer9 View Post
I'm not sure what you want me to use to "back it up." There's not like some sort of litmus test.

1. Hitler blames Jews for society's problems. Trump blames minorities.

2. Xenophobia

3. Use of propaganda. Have you noticed that the MAGA movement has essentially trademarked the U.S. flag? Display of a U.S. flag is almost code-word now for "I'm a MAGA supporter." Look at his tweets. Everyone that he opposes has a nickname (lyin' Ted, crooked Hillary, etc). It sticks with voters.

4. Use of fear-mongering and scare tactics.

5. Creeping authoritarianism. Anyone who disagrees with him is "treasonous" or against America.

I guess saying he's EXACTLY like Hitler is a huge overstatement. They definitely used a similar playbook on their road to power. They're marketing and branding geniuses. They want power however they can get it. They've no principles or belief systems. They'll say and do whatever will resonate with their fan base and support their ascent to power.

None of this really affects me in my little world. I get more side-eyed these days from certain white folks, but it doesn't really bother me. I'm just watching this **** show play out.
I'm sending this to my German/American friend who can explain to you point by point how you are incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 11:36 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Fair and fair. I'm with you except for the last paragraph. It's going to have to be cut eventually, one way or the other.

However, I will say I take a much dimmer view on hypocrisy based on pure racism compared to hypocrisy based on straight political disagreements. If their disagreements were legit, there would be more tea party protests now than in 2010 as both the debt and deficit are higher now. I can definitely respect the view that spending should be cut. I can't respect the view that it should only be cut when your guy isn't in power.

Do I think the tea party wants spending cut? Of course. Do I think they'll incessantly attack the current administration and Congress like they attacked the previous ones, for the exact same overspending tendencies? Absolutely not. We all know why, and it's not purely political.
They voted against HW and voted for Perot in 92. They started protesting again in 2010 when the deficit started exploding again. Then everybody and their dog claimed to be a tea partier so it got diluted. It will start again if the Republicans don't fulfill their promises on the budget in addition to the promise on taxes. Its only been two years.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:46 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Does the Tea Party really care about spending cuts? Seemed to me they just want to destroy government and hurt liberals, and cutting spending was the most efficient route to meet those goals.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:26 PM

218 posts, read 220,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
White Americans.
That's seems to be the only kind these types of people consider to be "Americans".

Old 10-27-2018, 03:45 PM

218 posts, read 220,890 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you want me to use to "back it up." There's not like some sort of litmus test.

1. Hitler blames Jews for society's problems. Trump blames minorities.

2. Xenophobia

3. Use of propaganda. Have you noticed that the MAGA movement has essentially trademarked the U.S. flag? Display of a U.S. flag is almost code-word now for "I'm a MAGA supporter." Look at his tweets. Everyone that he opposes has a nickname (lyin' Ted, crooked Hillary, etc). It sticks with voters.

4. Use of fear-mongering and scare tactics.

5. Creeping authoritarianism. Anyone who disagrees with him is "treasonous" or against America.

I guess saying he's EXACTLY like Hitler is a huge overstatement. They definitely used a similar playbook on their road to power. They're marketing and branding geniuses. They want power however they can get it. They've no principles or belief systems. They'll say and do whatever will resonate with their fan base and support their ascent to power.

None of this really affects me in my little world. I get more side-eyed these days from certain white folks, but it doesn't really bother me. I'm just watching this **** show play out.
Excellent post.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:36 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
They voted against HW and voted for Perot in 92. They started protesting again in 2010 when the deficit started exploding again. Then everybody and their dog claimed to be a tea partier so it got diluted. It will start again if the Republicans don't fulfill their promises on the budget in addition to the promise on taxes. Its only been two years.
The Tea Party organization was financed by Koch Bros. They hired Dick Army to run it for them. There was a falling out and another group took over. There is no longer any need for the Tea Party. There are enough of them in the House to stop anything.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:08 PM

13 posts, read 19,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
I'm sending this to my German/American friend who can explain to you point by point how you are incorrect.
Your German friend, Adolph, is dead silly

You disagree with me, and I really don't care. I'll well-educated, I work hard and live comfortably. All I know is that all the disgruntled people who voted for Trump are going to be in the same position 10 years from now. They're a reactionary group. They like to blame illegal immigrants, minorities, Democrats, Obama, and everyone else for their problems. Did the illegal immigrant who gets paid below minimum wage to wash your disgusting sheets after your stay in a hotel really take your job? What about the illegal immigrant who spends long hours tending as a farmhand in the scorching sun? You want that job? Businesses (including Trump Tower) hired illegal immigrants and exploited their cheap labor. Asian immigrants helped build your railroads and mine gold. Blacks slaved in farms and cotton fields. Americans have enjoyed the the fruits of immigrants' labor for centuries. And now when it's convenient, it's a "huge problem." The hypocrisy.

Mostly I feel bad for the MAGA Trumper. It's a shame. Trump could have done lots of good for lower socioeconomic white voters. He could've put technical training programs to transition the displaced coal miners and other marginalized groups to a more relevant 21st century industry. Instead he decided to give corporations a big tax cut, which primarily benefits wealthy shareholders. None of that is going to trickle down into YOUR bank account. Promises were kept, but not to regular people like you or I.

I call it like I see it. I wish more Trumpers would just own up to being racists instead of crouching their message behind "MAGA". I don't have a problem with racists. In fact, I say you have a right to be as bigoted as you want in your personal life. You stay in your lane and I stay in mine. But the president of the United States has no business promoting bigotry. I'm 2nd generation immigrant, and this country is just as much mine as it is yours.

And I'm not a "Dem." I vote by the candidate. I've voted both Republican and Democrat in the past.

Last edited by Strummer9; 10-27-2018 at 07:38 PM..

Old 10-27-2018, 08:06 PM

294 posts, read 233,324 times
People at a rally laughing and cheering a President of the United States degrading and insulting people and corporations that dare disagree with him. A President saying after a mass shooting that the problem was that there were no people with guns there. Cheer on people...……….What a sick country we have. The VOTE is are only hope.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:00 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:
Your German friend, Adolph, is dead silly

You disagree with me, and I really don't care. I'll well-educated, I work hard and live comfortably. All I know is that all the disgruntled people who voted for Trump are going to be in the same position 10 years from now. They're a reactionary group. They like to blame illegal immigrants, minorities, Democrats, Obama, and everyone else for their problems. Did the illegal immigrant who gets paid below minimum wage to wash your disgusting sheets after your stay in a hotel really take your job? What about the illegal immigrant who spends long hours tending as a farmhand in the scorching sun? You want that job? Businesses (including Trump Tower) hired illegal immigrants and exploited their cheap labor. Asian immigrants helped build your railroads and mine gold. Blacks slaved in farms and cotton fields. Americans have enjoyed the the fruits of immigrants' labor for centuries. And now when it's convenient, it's a "huge problem." The hypocrisy.

Mostly I feel bad for the MAGA Trumper. It's a shame. Trump could have done lots of good for lower socioeconomic white voters. He could've put technical training programs to transition the displaced coal miners and other marginalized groups to a more relevant 21st century industry. Instead he decided to give corporations a big tax cut, which primarily benefits wealthy shareholders. None of that is going to trickle down into YOUR bank account. Promises were kept, but not to regular people like you or I.

I call it like I see it. I wish more Trumpers would just own up to being racists instead of crouching their message behind "MAGA". I don't have a problem with racists. In fact, I say you have a right to be as bigoted as you want in your personal life. You stay in your lane and I stay in mine. But the president of the United States has no business promoting bigotry. I'm 2nd generation immigrant, and this country is just as much mine as it is yours.

And I'm not a "Dem." I vote by the candidate. I've voted both Republican and Democrat in the past.

The MAGA voter is a modern Archie Bunker. Straight up.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:02 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,075,384 times
Someone said: "Big Media may be spinning it that way, in order to make it "hick" to be pro-Trump."

I believe there have been articles about how Trump's true base is more suburban than rural. https://www.thenation.com/article/tr...m-the-suburbs/

This is important:

Quote:
Pathologizing the white working class as inherently bigoted serves two functions: It discourages working-class organizing across racial lines, and it provides white liberals with a convenient scapegoat who, being white, can’t charge racism. As Malcolm X cautioned, “If you aren’t careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” 

I also found this https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/13/u...-men-ohio.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston