Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2020, 11:34 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
LA mayor and health officials disagree with your CNN propaganda.

1 to 2 weeks after protests and Houston surges. New Jersey surges too and they haven't opened up. There are articles about people getting sick. You talk about science but totally ignore that the protests violated virtually every rule about avoiding contagion. Its like saying you are less likely to die if you shoot yourself in the stomach than if you shoot yourself in the head. Yes, but why would you do either?
Yes, Houston surged after the rallies. These cities did not:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
. . .why have rates gone down in cities where some of the biggest protest occurred in the subsequent weeks, including New York, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Chicago . . . ? .
You seem to have made your mind up that the rallies and marches are largely responsible for Houston’s surge. Logic dictates otherwise: Houston also surged after Abbott opened bars, restaurants, gyms, salons, recreation sites, etc. So you have protests all around the country, yet rates continued to decline after the rallies in cities that are still phasing in their openings (e.g., Philly, Boston). It surged, however, in jurisdictions that adopted premature, ill-advised openings, as we’re seeing across the sunbelt. Premature openings have now led to infection rates spiraling out of control in rural areas, as well. There were no massive protests in those small towns and rural counties now surging with the virus.

Even your governor has backed down and mandated masks and shut down venues where the virus easily spreads. If the surge was based on the protests, that would accomplish nothing, other than lower his favorable ratings. I can’t see him intentionally doing that. Perhaps you can.

But I’m done wasting my time on Houston’s crisis. Perhaps someone else will spend their 4th responding to your posts if you want to keep making the same point?

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 02:52 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,142,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Are you talking about the use of Remdecivir? It does seem that doctors have more reliable tools in their arsenal now than back in April.
I’m talking about various treatments that they are using, not about that one specifically. Including the use of extremely high doses of Vitamin C and D, and blood thinners.

Old 07-04-2020, 06:51 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 494,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
LA mayor and health officials disagree with your CNN propaganda.

1 to 2 weeks after protests and Houston surges. New Jersey surges too and they haven't opened up. There are articles about people getting sick. You talk about science but totally ignore that the protests violated virtually every rule about avoiding contagion. Its like saying you are less likely to die if you shoot yourself in the stomach than if you shoot yourself in the head. Yes, but why would you do either?
“A recently released study by the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) found no evidence that the recent racial justice protests have resulted in increased cases of COVID-19.”

https://www.newsweek.com/protests-di...-spike-1513251

Old 07-05-2020, 05:58 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Yes, Houston surged after the rallies. These cities did not:

You seem to have made your mind up that the rallies and marches are largely responsible for Houston’s surge. Logic dictates otherwise: Houston also surged after Abbott opened bars, restaurants, gyms, salons, recreation sites, etc. So you have protests all around the country, yet rates continued to decline after the rallies in cities that are still phasing in their openings (e.g., Philly, Boston). It surged, however, in jurisdictions that adopted premature, ill-advised openings, as we’re seeing across the sunbelt. Premature openings have now led to infection rates spiraling out of control in rural areas, as well. There were no massive protests in those small towns and rural counties now surging with the virus.

Even your governor has backed down and mandated masks and shut down venues where the virus easily spreads. If the surge was based on the protests, that would accomplish nothing, other than lower his favorable ratings. I can’t see him intentionally doing that. Perhaps you can.

But I’m done wasting my time on Houston’s crisis. Perhaps someone else will spend their 4th responding to your posts if you want to keep making the same point?

Cheers!
Well you keep making the same nonsensical comment that the protests had no impact. You are making a political comment and ignoring science. And you are so set in your ways, you are making stuff up about what I wrote. It prevents you from being able to understand what you read.

I'm sure the protests had an impact. I'm sure the opening up was not the sole reason as we opened up 6 weeks before the surge. And I've said both have some impact and its worth exploring so we understand and can make good decisions. You want to pretend violating all the rules for avoiding spreading the virus causes no impact if its for a good cause.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:01 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
“A recently released study by the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) found no evidence that the recent racial justice protests have resulted in increased cases of COVID-19.”

https://www.newsweek.com/protests-di...-spike-1513251
The study, which is very preliminary, basically says that the protestors DID increase the spread of the virus.

Now it also says people who weren't in the protests may have stayed home more than usual and offset that impact. That could certainly explain the bigger % of cases among younger people.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:17 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Its posts like the several above that make me realize how increadably screwed we are as a country and why.

You have one group of people that are actively rooting for the protests to fuel the virus and another group of people who want to say its 100% based on re-opening when we did and consequently rooting for that. People are rooting for this like one does for a sports team meanwhile the fodder from Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc. just keeps piling high and reaffirming everyone's own ignorant opinions.

People are ascribing political views to the virus.

That doesnt mean I dont have my own views. Trump is to leadership what AIDS in 1983 was to life longevity. I HATE the guy and hes made this worse than it ever should have been because of his savage narcissism. The problem is that he alone is not to blame. The media (very much including the liberal garbage at CNN and MSNBC) is full of crap too just in a different way. They want to take down Trump and see the virus as a way of doing that (even as a left of center liberal I can fully acknowledge that). Fox is garbage but its always been garbage for the simple minded and uneducated, the difference is that CNN just decided to join them at the bottom of the barrel.

Our local politicians have failed us too. I respect Abbott because he was man enough to admit he was wrong and reverse course on what he originally set to do despite it being wildly unpopular among braindead conservatives. Compare him with the a$$clown DeSantis in Florida and you realize it could be worse for us in Texas. I respect Hidalgo for the similar reasons. She stood up to be counted in the face of opposition and was able to make unpopular but beneficial decisions.

The combo of Trump, a dishonest media, and our (at times) ridiculous and narcissistic culture makes it absolutely certain that nothing will change and we will ride this wave of death until the virus gets bored with us.

Ill gladly admit I was wrong about many things in the previous month. I thought heat and humidity would be our savior as it has been in other viruses: I WAS WRONG. But we have to be able to know when were wrong and change it and America as a nation SUCKS at that.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:11 PM

814 posts, read 677,154 times
Some good news: the latest study (a real one, double blind, that the 'scientists' like) say they have found a drug that (without any zinc) will cut the death rate in half. And it is lots cheaper and easier to take that Remdisi-whatever.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:36 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,444,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Its posts like the several above that make me realize how increadably screwed we are as a country and why.

You have one group of people that are actively rooting for the protests to fuel the virus and another group of people who want to say its 100% based on re-opening when we did and consequently rooting for that. People are rooting for this like one does for a sports team meanwhile the fodder from Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc. just keeps piling high and reaffirming everyone's own ignorant opinions.

People are ascribing political views to the virus.

That doesnt mean I dont have my own views. Trump is to leadership what AIDS in 1983 was to life longevity. I HATE the guy and hes made this worse than it ever should have been because of his savage narcissism. The problem is that he alone is not to blame. The media (very much including the liberal garbage at CNN and MSNBC) is full of crap too just in a different way. They want to take down Trump and see the virus as a way of doing that (even as a left of center liberal I can fully acknowledge that). Fox is garbage but its always been garbage for the simple minded and uneducated, the difference is that CNN just decided to join them at the bottom of the barrel.

Our local politicians have failed us too. I respect Abbott because he was man enough to admit he was wrong and reverse course on what he originally set to do despite it being wildly unpopular among braindead conservatives. Compare him with the a$$clown DeSantis in Florida and you realize it could be worse for us in Texas. I respect Hidalgo for the similar reasons. She stood up to be counted in the face of opposition and was able to make unpopular but beneficial decisions.

The combo of Trump, a dishonest media, and our (at times) ridiculous and narcissistic culture makes it absolutely certain that nothing will change and we will ride this wave of death until the virus gets bored with us.

Ill gladly admit I was wrong about many things in the previous month. I thought heat and humidity would be our savior as it has been in other viruses: I WAS WRONG. But we have to be able to know when were wrong and change it and America as a nation SUCKS at that.
I must recognize you for this, it takes a smart man to admit mistakes. I respect people that can adjust and are not stubborn, that is the trait of a true leader, sadly we don't have any from either side of the political spectrum since both are trying to play this pandemic against each other.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:37 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,444,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
Some good news: the latest study (a real one, double blind, that the 'scientists' like) say they have found a drug that (without any zinc) will cut the death rate in half. And it is lots cheaper and easier to take that Remdisi-whatever.
What is it?

Old 07-07-2020, 10:52 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
Death rate of who? Hospitalized patients? Patients in general? Old? Young? Pre-existing conditions? Will it halt the virus and be useful as a prophylaxis like the drug hyped by the commander-in-chief back in April?

And if that particular drug hyped by our White House really worked, wouldn't we have known by now? India has been administering it for months now. No breakthroughs yet. In fact, India is currently re-evaluating it's usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston