Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2022, 12:12 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Facts. I don't know too many people that hold Mack's political orientation against him. Everyone knows who he is and who he supports.
I thank Mattress Mack for the charity work he does
He loses my support the moment he starts endorsing politicians

Old 11-04-2022, 12:16 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
And just what does anyone think Hidalgo can do about suspects being out of bail? She has nothing to do with that process, other than being part of the approval process when the County loses a bail suit, as happened with misdemeanor bail.

As for defunding the Sheriff and Constables, that's on Cagle and Ramsey.
This is true so much more broadly-- I keep hearing that people will vote GOP because of crime and inflation, yet the people running, at all levels, have presented virtually no plan to address either. Maybe because they know that inflation is a global problem at the moment and unless they plan to give Putin a call and convince him to back down, it's not going away any time soon.

Old 11-04-2022, 12:19 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
You don’t have questions about the attack? Releasing the camera footage of the break-in and the 911 call would help dispel the rumors. Pelosi should do that immediately.
More information is out

Details emerge in Paul Pelosi attack: A break-in, conversation, 911 call, then violence

DePape, who is being held at the San Francisco County Jail, faces 13 years to life in prison if convicted of state charges including attempted murder, burglary and elder abuse. He has pleaded not guilty and has a hearing scheduled for Friday. Federal prosecutors charged him with assault on a relative of a federal official and attempted kidnapping of a federal official.

At 2:31 a.m. – about two minutes after the 911 call ended – Police Officers Kolby Wilmes and Kyle Cagney arrived at the house. Wilmes rang the doorbell, but DePape told Pelosi not to open it.
Pelosi opened the door with his left hand. In the dimly lit foyer, Pelosi nervously but calmly greeted the officers.
“Everything’s good,” DePape replied, when the officers asked what was going on.
When an officer turned on his flashlight, police could see DePape was holding the hammer with one hand and Pelosi’s right arm with the other. Pelosi had his hand on the top of the hammer.
“Drop the hammer!” one officer said.
“Um, nope,” DePape allegedly replied, and raised the hammer. DePape allegedly then tried to pull the hammer away from Pelosi and wrenched his right arm.
At the same time, Pelosi said: “Hey, hey, hey.” But he couldn’t keep his grip on the hammer.
“What is going on here?” an officer asked.
DePape allegedly wrestled the hammer away from Pelosi, stepped back and lunged for Pelosi, striking him in the head with full force.
The blow knocked Pelosi unconscious. The two officers rushed into the house and tackled DePape and disarmed him.

Old 11-04-2022, 01:05 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
More information is out

Details emerge in Paul Pelosi attack: A break-in, conversation, 911 call, then violence

DePape, who is being held at the San Francisco County Jail, faces 13 years to life in prison if convicted of state charges including attempted murder, burglary and elder abuse. He has pleaded not guilty and has a hearing scheduled for Friday. Federal prosecutors charged him with assault on a relative of a federal official and attempted kidnapping of a federal official.

At 2:31 a.m. – about two minutes after the 911 call ended – Police Officers Kolby Wilmes and Kyle Cagney arrived at the house. Wilmes rang the doorbell, but DePape told Pelosi not to open it.
Pelosi opened the door with his left hand. In the dimly lit foyer, Pelosi nervously but calmly greeted the officers.
“Everything’s good,” DePape replied, when the officers asked what was going on.
When an officer turned on his flashlight, police could see DePape was holding the hammer with one hand and Pelosi’s right arm with the other. Pelosi had his hand on the top of the hammer.
“Drop the hammer!” one officer said.
“Um, nope,” DePape allegedly replied, and raised the hammer. DePape allegedly then tried to pull the hammer away from Pelosi and wrenched his right arm.
At the same time, Pelosi said: “Hey, hey, hey.” But he couldn’t keep his grip on the hammer.
“What is going on here?” an officer asked.
DePape allegedly wrestled the hammer away from Pelosi, stepped back and lunged for Pelosi, striking him in the head with full force.
The blow knocked Pelosi unconscious. The two officers rushed into the house and tackled DePape and disarmed him.
DePape is lucky to still be alive. I suspect a good percentage of police officers would have shot him.

Old 11-04-2022, 01:50 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
it’s hilarious that you think it’s about political orientation. At the end of the day, you’re holding a mattress salesman to high standards. Doesn’t matter if he’s a good or bad dude, you’re falling for PR stunt. And I’m Glad people are starting to move on from none sense. And trust me, they could care less whether you consider them “real Houstonians” or not. If that’s what “real Houstonians” think, then maybe this isn’t such a welcoming city after all.

Edit: And actually, now that you bring it up, people disliking Mack for political reasons isn’t an uncommon thing at all. A quick Twitter or Reddit scroll is all you have to see as long you follow any Astros or Houston related accounts/subs. I disagree with. I think it’s stupid that they care about that man’s political views. But by no means are they low in numbers. Heck I think it’s as dumb to hate him as it is to worship him.

Not viewing mack as a bad person. Just laughing at his culted supporters.
Lol. Scientific, that Twitter and Reddit. I'm sure the internet is a great representation of actual Houstonians who's opinion actually matters. /sarc

I'm not sure what standards or PR stunts you're talking about. Mattress Mack has been around since, what the late 80s or early 90s? Well before any of this Astros betting was ever legal, and he was doing great things for the community then as well.

Also, the reason I thought it was about political orientation is because of your words. I'm not sure what else you meant by "certain group of people" - seemed like a thinly vieled reference to Republicans or right-leaning people but if I'm wrong about that feel free to correct me. Perhaps there is some other constituency that would be aligned with Mattress Mack that I'm not thinking of.

Either way though, regardless of your opinion, I think you'd have a hard time convincing anyone who actually lives here that Mack is anything other than widely supported in this town.

Old 11-04-2022, 01:57 PM

976 posts, read 1,055,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
Mealer's commercials aren't the best but she has run a very competent ground game. I have gotten a campaign flyer from her campaign several times a week. I see Mealer lawn signs very frequently relative to Hidalgo signs.

Hidalgo on the other hand has managed one of the worst reelection campaigns that I have ever witnessed. Mealer got a Houston legend /multiple LE agencies to endorse her while Hidalgo recruits Hanoi Jane and a New York actor. If Hidalgo does pull this one out then I would say Harris County is forever blue.

Really...I haven't gotten a single one from camp Mealer.

I've had about 5 Beto volunteers knock on my door.

None from Abbott volunteers, none from Lina volunteers.

Last edited by H'ton; 11-04-2022 at 02:11 PM..

Old 11-04-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I don't understand how someone can be an "independent" voter these days.

I am legitimately interested in what an INFORMED undecided voter is thinking about, if anyone wants to share.
I'm an independent/centrist/moderate..always have been. I'll vote for mixed ballots next week.

My voting strategy is 3 -tiered City- State- National.

I analyze those three areas on where we are TODAY, whether we've swing too far right and too far left and which direction I need to push/pull to get us back to the center.

My strategy is always to return things back into equilibrium.

Being "neutral" allows me to see filter the "real" issues from the emotional political footballs that most brainwashed puppets of the Left or Right can no longer see.

Their emotional reactions, their dissonance, gets in the way.

I watched the Right spend 4 years bashing Obamacare, as the worst thing ever to happen to our country, then they elected the creator of the prototype of Obama Care (Romney Care) as their Republican Candidate.

I then watched the Left cry profusely about Trump's "inhumane" immigration policy, oblivious to the fact that Obama was easily the strictest president on Immigration, pre-Trump.

Those two examples of many.

Remaining INDEPENDENT allows me to see these glaring Blind spots but if you want to be a blind puppet of the Republicans or Democrats...go right ahead.

Does that answer your question?

Old 11-04-2022, 02:22 PM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Lol. Scientific, that Twitter and Reddit. I'm sure the internet is a great representation of actual Houstonians who's opinion actually matters. /sarc

I'm not sure what standards or PR stunts you're talking about. Mattress Mack has been around since, what the late 80s or early 90s? Well before any of this Astros betting was ever legal, and he was doing great things for the community then as well.

Also, the reason I thought it was about political orientation is because of your words. I'm not sure what else you meant by "certain group of people" - seemed like a thinly vieled reference to Republicans or right-leaning people but if I'm wrong about that feel free to correct me. Perhaps there is some other constituency that would be aligned with Mattress Mack that I'm not thinking of.

Either way though, regardless of your opinion, I think you'd have a hard time convincing anyone who actually lives here that Mack is anything other than widely supported in this town.
You assumed. That was in response to a post referenced him as a campaigning technique showing that Mealer has his approval. My post stated “an endorsement from a mattress salesman isn’t helping her”. I’m very aware that there’s a group of people that hold him to high standards. But that number isn’t growing. Whoever follows him on that one already made their decision. You and SanJac took that to heart so you’re only proving my point.

I also figure that “actually living here” is determined by my home address. Am I wrong there too or does it work differently here? At the end of the day, my employer determined I was fit to work where I have. And the admissions office at UH approved my masters. So who’s opinion matters more? Theirs or an outdated “respect out legends” mentality? I’ll let you be the judge of that. As a top 3 growing metro region in the US, good luck trying to convince them to follow. Are we still a welcoming city?

Old 11-04-2022, 02:26 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
I'm an independent/centrist/moderate..always have been. I'll vote for mixed ballots next week.

My voting strategy is 3 -tiered City- State- National.

I analyze those three areas on where we are TODAY, whether we've swing too far right and too far left and which direction I need to push/pull to get us back to the center.

My strategy is always to return things back into equilibrium.

Being "neutral" allows me to see filter the "real" issues from the emotional political footballs that most brainwashed puppets of the Left or Right can no longer see.

Their emotional reactions, their dissonance, gets in the way.

I watched the Right spend 4 years bashing Obamacare, as the worst thing ever to happen to our country, then they elected the creator of the prototype of Obama Care (Romney Care) as their Republican Candidate.

I then watched the Left cry profusely about Trump's "inhumane" immigration policy, oblivious to the fact that Obama was easily the strictest president on Immigration, pre-Trump.

Those two examples of many.

Remaining INDEPENDENT allows me to see these glaring Blind spots but if you want to be a blind puppet of the Republicans or Democrats...go right ahead.

Does that answer your question?
Sure. It's interesting-- just the kind of perspective I was looking for. I don't think in terms of right and left or balance, I focus on issues and values, so it's interesting to hear your thoughts.

Old 11-04-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Sure. It's interesting-- just the kind of perspective I was looking for. I don't think in terms of right and left or balance, I focus on issues and values, so it's interesting to hear your thoughts.
Once we get in TOO far Right or TOO far Left territory, things become toxic.

Even the valid perspectives of the reasonable sides on right/left of centered are discounted and that's of the America/Texas/Houston I want to be in.

It should be combination of both side's perspectives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston