Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2022, 10:21 AM

15,644 posts, read 7,674,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
When did it ever take this long to know the result of a mid-term or even a pre-2020 POTUS election (other than 2000 which was a special case)? My recollection in 2018 we knew the results the next day. Perhaps there were a couple close races that required recounts before finalizing but as it stands now there are 28 races that still have yet to be called after 3 days of counting. I cannot recall that ever happening before.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/el...ts/2022/house/
The requirement put in place by the Legislature for a verifiable paper trail has caused much of the delay. The paper ballots with issues had to be handled manually, and that takes time. I think they said there were well over 1,000 of those, caused by tears, jams, etc. Those ballots have to be run through a machine to be counted and added to the totals.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:27 AM

227 posts, read 139,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The requirement put in place by the Legislature for a verifiable paper trail has caused much of the delay. The paper ballots with issues had to be handled manually, and that takes time. I think they said there were well over 1,000 of those, caused by tears, jams, etc. Those ballots have to be run
It seems to be mostly the West coast states plus Arizona/Nevada that are struggling. Texas appears to have done a relatively decent job with counting.

Old 11-11-2022, 11:37 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,059,667 times
Quote:
It seems to be mostly the West coast states plus Arizona/Nevada that are struggling. Texas appears to have done a relatively decent job with counting.
My understanding is this is normal for the west coast states. The difference this year is that control of the Senate and the House are still in the balance so the entire nation is paying attention.

I read in some states so long as mailed-in ballots are postmarked by 11/8 they have to be counted. That means you could have votes arriving 2-3 days after the election, potentially.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:25 PM

18,159 posts, read 25,394,869 times
The problem is that news media makes it seem as if election results should be out the moment they say
"Polls are closed"
As if all votes are counted by computers

Old 11-11-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The problem is that news media makes it seem as if election results should be out the moment they say
"Polls are closed"
As if all votes are counted by computers
I would actually the say the opposite is true. I have seen a barrage of news stories from the media claiming its normal to take this long to count the votes. That tells me that a lot of people are noticing this new trend as well.

My memory is not great for sure but there really is no reason to speculate. We have an election every 2 years. Other than 2020 (which was a pandemic) which specific election year has it ever taken more than a day or two to know the majority in Congress?

Just to verify, I checked the 1998 mid-terms which resulted in a very small majority for Republicans in the House as expected this year. Sure enough, the day after the election the results were known:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB910126147363955500

Old 11-11-2022, 01:17 PM

2,556 posts, read 4,070,753 times
Quote:
I would actually the say the opposite is true. I have seen a barrage of news stories from the media claiming its normal to take this long to count the votes. That tells me that a lot of people are noticing this new trend as well.

My memory is not great for sure but there really is no reason to speculate. We have an election every 2 years. Other than 2020 (which was a pandemic) which specific election year has it ever taken more than a day or two to know the majority in Congress?

Just to verify, I checked the 1998 mid-terms which resulted in a very small majority for Republicans in the House as expected this year. Sure enough, the day after the election the results were known:

As I said in my earlier reply, the difference is not that it's taking longer, it's that it's CLOSER this year. Some of the races are close, and therefore can't be projected before all votes are counted. And the margins in the House and Senate are close, so every race matters. When it's not so close, projections can be made earlier, so you wouldn't notice that votes are still being counted.

Old 11-11-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
As I said in my earlier reply, the difference is not that it's taking longer, it's that it's CLOSER this year. Some of the races are close, and therefore can't be projected before all votes are counted. And the margins in the House and Senate are close, so every race matters. When it's not so close, projections can be made earlier, so you wouldn't notice that votes are still being counted.
This is not the first close election we have ever had. I pointed out the 1998 election was very close as well yet the election results were known the following day.

The more likely explanation is the increasing percentage of mail-in ballots which require more time to verify especially the ones that come in on election day.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:00 PM

18,159 posts, read 25,394,869 times
Quote:

How long did it take for Florida to count the votes when George Bush was proclaimed president by the Supreme Court?

Last edited by Dopo; 11-11-2022 at 02:12 PM..

Old 11-11-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
How long did it take for Florida to count the votes when George Bush was proclaimed president by the Supreme Court?
ELECTION DENIER!!!

The actual count was pretty quick. It was the multiple recounts, legal challenges, arguing over dimpled chads that took a long time.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:51 PM

2,556 posts, read 4,070,753 times
Quote:
ELECTION DENIER!!!

The actual count was pretty quick. It was the multiple recounts, legal challenges, arguing over dimpled chads that took a long time.
Individuals outside the public eye may grumble all they wish, about Gore's loss or Clinton's loss or Trump's loss. Lawyers and the press can and should investigate these cases. The risk to democracy is when the politicians fail to accept the results, or when the media (and others in the public eye) ignore all evidence and deny outcomes.

Gore conceded and went away. Clinton conceded and went away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston