Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:38 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

It's not actually in anyone's DNA Mr. Lee, that's your politics talking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 07:19 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
They have a lot of nerve harboring criminals in defiance of federal law.
Yep. Start prosecuting them. Beginning January 21st. They're in direct violation of federal law, and such a violation can and does result in serving time in prison.

With regard to violations of 8 U.S.C. §*1324(a)(1)(ii)-(iv) and (v)(ii), domestic transportation, harboring, encouraging/inducing, or aiding/abetting, the basic statutory maximum term of imprisonment is 5 years, unless the offense was committed for commercial advantage or private financial gain, in which case the maximum term of imprisonment is 10 years.

https://www.justice.gov/usam/crimina...1324a-offenses

Old 12-20-2016, 09:14 PM

570 posts, read 560,541 times
This sure will become an interesting battle next year in which Sanctuary cities are going to be putting up a fight. Some may even lose federal funding out of it. But we will have to wait and see.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:47 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
This sure will become an interesting battle next year in which Sanctuary cities are going to be putting up a fight. Some may even lose federal funding out of it. But we will have to wait and see.
Not possible. Federal funding is funneled through the State, and as such the Feds would have to cut funding to States and that will not fly. So it is all a bunch of talk and nothing more.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:39 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The battle lines sharpened after Trump announced his nomination of an immigration hard-liner, Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama, for attorney general.

San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee is undaunted. "Being a sanctuary city is in our DNA," Lee said in a tweet. "San Francisco will never be anything other than a sanctuary city."

Sanctuary Cities Insist They'll Stand Strong

This is fixin' to get interesting real soon.
I read through the article and got to Somerville, MA. I lived there for a few years in the 90s. The term "sanctuary city" means nothing, nothing. Just read an article from Brietbart claiming Somerville a "wealthy liberal enclave" next to Boston...OMG, LOL! I think most from the Boston area will join me in finding that hysterically funny. Adored my time in Somerville, loved it, but it is not one of Boston's wealthy suburbs. It's mostly a working class neighborhood. Nothing wrong with that at all, but to pretend that it's something like Brookline is ridiculous.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:17 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
I hope the sanctuary cities get hit hard and funding cut hard. I only worry about the Police in the cities getting funding cut. I don't want them to suffer cuts because of the law breaking governing cities administration.

Taken from KQED News, November 29, 2016, "The California Report"

Vaughan believes cities, counties and states that don’t cooperate with those detainer requests are flouting federal law and could be punished under a Trump administration.
“There are a number of tools the federal government has to use to address the sanctuary jurisdiction problem. The first, and most obvious one, is block these jurisdictions from getting certain types of federal funds,” she said.
She doesn’t think that San Francisco, for example, would immediately lose all $1 billion it receives each year in federal funding. But the Trump administration could try to cut law enforcement grants by executive action, she said — something the Obama administration has already done. Vaughan said that under Obama, the Department of Justice has blocked 10 jurisdictions, including the state of California, from applying for certain grants because they have policies that are inconsistent with federal law.
“The array of grant programs that could become off-limits could be expanded, and if that happens I believe a lot of these jurisdictions are going to revisit their policies and begin to cooperate,” Vaughan said.
So perhaps San Francisco could be at risk of losing up to $35 million that it gets annually in law enforcement assistance from the feds.

Last edited by Serenity2019; 12-22-2016 at 08:44 AM..

Old 12-22-2016, 09:19 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,333,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I read through the article and got to Somerville, MA. I lived there for a few years in the 90s. The term "sanctuary city" means nothing, nothing. Just read an article from Brietbart claiming Somerville a "wealthy liberal enclave" next to Boston...OMG, LOL! I think most from the Boston area will join me in finding that hysterically funny. Adored my time in Somerville, loved it, but it is not one of Boston's wealthy suburbs. It's mostly a working class neighborhood. Nothing wrong with that at all, but to pretend that it's something like Brookline is ridiculous.
Actually, nothing funny about it at all. Somerville has transformed radically since then - moreso than any city in MA in my opinion (i've lived here for past 9 years). It's not quite as expensive as Brookline and will never have the mansions of Brookline, but an average 1100 sqft condo in 02144 is around 590k and in Brookine it's 650k. And - the green line extension hasn't even arrived yet - wait till that happens! You can't land a decent condo for under 500k or a single family for under 1 million.

Sure there are still lots of immigrant families and blue-collar families that bought many years ago, but even East Somerville is unfortunately out of reach to these people to buy or even rent now. The city is making an aggressive push for more affordable housing.

Lonely planet listed it as a top 10 unexpected destination for 2016. Here is some reading material to catch you up:

https://www.boston.com/culture/trave...-lonely-planet

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...k-top-our-list

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...c4K/story.html

https://www.zagat.com/b/boston/7-hot...-to-somerville

Here Are the 10 Cheapest Homes for Sale in Somerville

http://boston.curbed.com/2016/12/21/...-homes-in-2016

Boston-area communities vie to be the next Somerville - The Boston Globe

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/05/tr...cambridge.html

Last edited by semiurbanite; 12-22-2016 at 09:35 AM..

Old 12-22-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I hope the sanctuary cities get hit hard and funding cut hard. I only worry about the Police in the cities getting funding cut. I don't want them to suffer cuts because of the law breaking governing cities administration.

Taken from KQED News, November 29, 2016, "The California Report"

Vaughan believes cities, counties and states that don’t cooperate with those detainer requests are flouting federal law and could be punished under a Trump administration.
“There are a number of tools the federal government has to use to address the sanctuary jurisdiction problem. The first, and most obvious one, is block these jurisdictions from getting certain types of federal funds,” she said.
She doesn’t think that San Francisco, for example, would immediately lose all $1 billion it receives each year in federal funding. But the Trump administration could try to cut law enforcement grants by executive action, she said — something the Obama administration has already done. Vaughan said that under Obama, the Department of Justice has blocked 10 jurisdictions, including the state of California, from applying for certain grants because they have policies that are inconsistent with federal law.
“The array of grant programs that could become off-limits could be expanded, and if that happens I believe a lot of these jurisdictions are going to revisit their policies and begin to cooperate,” Vaughan said.
So perhaps San Francisco could be at risk of losing up to $35 million that it gets annually in law enforcement assistance from the feds.
Won't happen. Here's why Somerville shouldn't be too worried about Trump pulling its federal funding

Somerville mayor vows to protect immigrants as Trump takes over | Boston Herald

“All studies from sociologists and criminologists show that non-citizen immigrants commit fewer crimes than their peers."

Old 12-22-2016, 09:54 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
It will happen. Sanctuary Cities will have grants cut and lose millions of dollars in grants. Grants will simply be held back. Are you illegal semiurbanite?

Jessica Vaughan Discusses Federal Funds Going to Sanctuary Cities | Center for Immigration Studies

Old 12-22-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
It will happen. Sanctuary Cities will have grants cut and lose millions of dollars in grants. Grants will simply be held back. Are you illegal semiurbanite?

Jessica Vaughan Discusses Federal Funds Going to Sanctuary Cities | Center for Immigration Studies
I'm not, but the fed will have legal troubles making this happen per my article. I live in a sanctuary city and support it 100%. Our government intentionally turned a blind eye to these immigrants for decades so they could take on jobs that citizens never wanted - we owe it to them to not kick them out now that they have settled down and started families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration