Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 03:09 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,759,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You're absolutely right, and congratulations for pointing this out...I'm impressed. The way those Italian parents brought their kids up not learning English was just SHAMEFUL, I agree. I always wondered why I could never understand a word whenever I heard Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Dean Martin, or Lee Iacocca talking. These guys should have been ashamed of themselves for not learning English.

But you're right..it's not THEIR fault..it's their PARENTS', for teaching them that they weren't "American", they were really Italian.

Thanks again for your insight. Everything now is beginning to make more sense..
I like how you took that out of context.

My point was that it doesnt matter whether or not the parents encourage their children to learn english...that the children will learn it anyway living in American. that assimilation is a natural process, and will happen no matter what.

And by pointing out first or second generation Italian-Americans..children of immgirants who grew up to be successful people, AND speak english fluently, you have supported my theory in full. Thank you

Old 04-11-2008, 03:34 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,680,556 times
yup exactly! look at antonio villaraigosa! ok maybe not the best example, but what about rita moreno? or jimmy smits? antony quinn! george lopez? do you understand their english? howabout mine? this has been a fun read.

in closing i would like to be the first to welcome our darker skinned homeboys from far off place like eritrea, angola and the rest of Africa. the US is wating!!!
also congrats to the haitians, my trini folk and all the west indians for making it here already. i welcome you. i have no problem having you as my neighbor! just keep a nice yard and home and we cool brotha.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:45 PM

493 posts, read 638,983 times
Dude,
I honestly don't think that you can compare the two...
first, I pretty sure most of the italians were here legally and became american citizens...they learned the language and used it in public even if they spoke italian at home, second, even though italian and irish mobsters were crooks that commited horrible crimes...most of the time, they didn't act with the complete savagery of the hispanic/illegal alien gangs...I'm sorry to tell you man...if you wanna say I'm hating on latinos...fine...but I'm not...I'm pointing out observations from someone who is deeply interested in geopolitics and history (myself).

Old 04-11-2008, 03:49 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,139,694 times
I think the Oakies serve as a better comparison than italians.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:51 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,484,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
What was their native language?

Old 04-11-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
What was their native language?
Your point?

Old 04-11-2008, 03:57 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,484,616 times
Quote:
Your point?
Maybe you need to review the OP. Here's an excerpt:

"Many Latino immigrants arrive in cities like Los Angeles not knowing English. This angers the "real" Americans. Go through a Latino neighborhood and you will see signs in Spanish, and hear people speaking Spanish.

"When Italian immigrants arrived, they formed their own neighborhoods. Signs for Italian owned businesses were in Italian. Italian was commonly heard spoken in these neighborhoods."

Your flippant, one-liner posts attest to how conscienciously you approach this subject.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Maybe you need to review the OP. Here's an excerpt:

"Many Latino immigrants arrive in cities like Los Angeles not knowing English. This angers the "real" Americans. Go through a Latino neighborhood and you will see signs in Spanish, and hear people speaking Spanish.

"When Italian immigrants arrived, they formed their own neighborhoods. Signs for Italian owned businesses were in Italian. Italian was commonly heard spoken in these neighborhoods."

Your flippant, one-liner posts attest to how conscienciously you approach this subject.
What were the reasons the Oakies came to the U.S? We're they welcomed? What kind of work did they do? How were they treated? Did they assimilate?

Old 04-11-2008, 04:02 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,589,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
All you need to do is demand that you be recognized as an 'undocumented homeowner'. After all, the only thing standing between you and ownership of that home is a piece of paper!
You're right! If illegal aliens can be considered 'undocumented workers' I certainly should have the right to be considered an 'undocumented homeowner' -- what's good for the goose…..

As a matter of fact, I DEMAND to be given that right.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:03 PM

493 posts, read 638,983 times
Quote:
Oakies as in Oklahomans that settled in Bakersfield and Southern California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration