Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:06 PM

95 posts, read 130,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Please indicate where in my post I accused ALL Hispanics of desecrating our flag. Fact: There were MANY Hispanics waving Mexican flags, and there have been MANY Hispanics desecrating our flag. I have no idea if these people are legal or illegal. However, either way, it is quite disconcerting. Are you condoning their behavior? A simple yes or no will suffice.

You seem fixated on the involvement of U.S. citizens, as though their presence somehow negates the disrespectful behavior so prevalent during these marches. It doesn’t.

The issue is not whether U.S. citizens coalesced with illegal aliens; but the fact that NO illegal alien has the right to march in our streets carrying Mexican flags while they demand legalization. It is simply disrespectful. Obviously, you are not offended by their behavior.

Even the uber pro-illegal Miguel Perez was appalled.

CNN.com - Transcripts
What does it matter what I think about people waving flags?
Are you condoning the pro-sheriff Joe Arpaio activists that were waving the confederate flag?

You seem to have a big problem with illegals marching along with U.S. citizens. I personally don't have a problem; regardless of what flag they are waving. How would you determine who is legal and who isn't?
I see it as the ultimate in American freedom of speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; what is wrong with Sheriff Joe's practices against illegal aliens? Bull Connor he ain't------------hell, many American Blacks support Sheriff Joe.

Most of us here in Arizona are in favor of Joe----------and, keep re-electing him time and time again.
Obviously some people in the community think there is a problem with racial profiling; otherwise they wouldn't be marching against his practices.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:38 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elansingghost View Post
Obviously some people in the community think there is a problem with racial profiling; otherwise they wouldn't be marching against his practices.
I have no problem with 'profiling'; if it is done respectfully.

Case in point: any time I board an airplane; I am pulled aside and scrutinized rather closely by security---------said personnel are simply doing their job.

The fact that I rather resemble a stereotypical eco-terrorist may have something to do with it (beard, tiedyed shirt, scruffy jeans, etc.). And of course my views are far from left wing by today's standards.

Back to racial profiling: not all Hispanics; legal or not, are short brown Indians/Mestizos. Flip side I have known many an Anglo White who was also mistaken for Mexican.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have no problem with 'profiling'; if it is done respectfully.

Case in point: any time I board an airplane; I am pulled aside and scrutinized rather closely by security---------said personnel are simply doing their job.

The fact that I rather resemble a stereotypical eco-terrorist may have something to do with it (beard, tiedyed shirt, scruffy jeans, etc.). And of course my views are far from left wing by today's standards.

Back to racial profiling: not all Hispanics; legal or not, are short brown Indians/Mestizos. Flip side I have known many an Anglo White who was also mistaken for Mexican.
You don't have a problem with it, but not everybody thinks like you do.
If someone was stopped by Joe Arpaio's deputies on their way to work because they were mistaken for Mexican; they might have a different perspective than you do.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:42 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
What does it matter what I think about people waving flags?
Are you condoning the pro-sheriff Joe Arpaio activists that were waving the confederate flag?

You seem to have a big problem with illegals marching along with U.S. citizens. I personally don't have a problem; regardless of what flag they are waving. How would you determine who is legal and who isn't?
I see it as the ultimate in American freedom of speech.
You are absolutely correct. I do have a problem with illegal aliens; not only protesting on U.S. soil, but their mere presence is highly offensive.

It is futile to beat a dead horse. If you can’t differentiate between legal residents exercising their rights, and blatant disrespect from foreign intruders, no amount of discourse will enlighten you. Moreover, I suspect you MUST support illegal immigration for very personal reasons.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely correct. I do have a problem with illegal aliens; not only protesting on U.S. soil, but their mere presence is highly offensive.

It is futile to beat a dead horse. If you can’t differentiate between legal residents exercising their rights, and blatant disrespect from foreign intruders, no amount of discourse will enlighten you. Moreover, I suspect you MUST support illegal immigration for very personal reasons.
You find it offensive, others don't.

And you seem to want to overlook the fact that the immigration-reform marches were organized by U.S. Citizens.

I must support illegal immigration for personal reasons?

Again, you are generalizing: I'm entitled to posting my opinion regardless of race, legal status, or ideological leanings. Besides a ghost can't be illegal, can it?.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
You find it offensive, others don't.

And you seem to want to overlook the fact that the immigration-reform marches were organized by U.S. Citizens.

I must support illegal immigration for personal reasons?

Again, you are generalizing: I'm entitled to posting my opinion regardless of race, legal status, or ideological leanings. Besides a ghost can't be illegal, can it?.
I too find the mere presence of illegal aliens AKA criminals offensive.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:34 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Eisenhower actually made all illegals go home.

It was called Operation *******, no joke. Look it up.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:03 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
First off, if I come across as a dick in any of my future or past post please forgive me. I am just very passionate on immigration, hell you and I may have, under other circumstances, had lunch and laughed and talked about this and then had some beers later. So again, after reading my own post and wincing once or twice, I'm not attempting to attack you.

that being said..

Professor Borjas has said, “Being without work [in the United States] is still far better for most people than being employed in Central America.”

That prior quote sums up everything I have ever thought about immigration.

Imagine for me if you will; You live in a house with no running water, dirt floors, you eat maybe once a day, your sick with no way to pay... Then you step into a land of all the social welfare you could ever need, paid for by someone else, with government housing, non rejective emergency health care and a free education system. Wouldn't that be great? What have you just done? You have IMPROVED YOUR HUMAN CONDITION. Great!! For you... But now what if after your standard of living has been increase a hundred fold what is your incentive to really work much harder? I make a great living, but what if someone came along and just say TRIPLED my standard of life, AND I didn't have to pay for it. What in the world would I work for? Or work as hard for at the least? What about the other people who are there and have to pay for it all? BAD for them.

Thats the situation we are in. I am all for increasing trade with Mexico, trying, Thur trade, to help spark their economy. Thats after the borders are closed, immigration from Mexico is limited to what it was back in the 60s. After WE get back on our feet. Ya know when things get worse here in the US it gets even worse everywhere else, and with the MILLIONS of Americans out of work and using our welfare services, how in the world can we AFFORD amnesty or MORE immigration??? What are these people going to magically have jobs? NO! They are going to be a drag on us. This recession has made the negative effects of immigration multiply exponentially.

Also when you here thing like re conquista, and see stats like these;
Factor this in; according to a 2002 Zogby International survey, 58% of Mexicans agreed with this statement, “The territory of the United States’ southwest rightfully belongs to Mexico.”

then on top of that you see people here in America waving MEXICAN flags and saying that they want the same rights as US!?!?!

Their education does not concern me at the moment(maybe even in the future) either, when our own education system has become a failure. How can we be expected to save EVERYONE else when we cant even save our selves?

Its like that guy that spins the plates on top of the broom handles or dowel thingys and he starts with one then to like 5 then to 15 and so on and so on. Each one of those plates to me is like another welfare program, or amnesty, or a new spending program, etc. I guess you could equate his ability to keep them all spinning to our economy. As long as there are only a few he is fine, but if he cant keep up and over extends himself what happens? They start to fall. And when they do they all fall. Thats like the US right now. We are so over extended that we cant keep up, and everyday we fall further and further behind.

All I'm asking is that we slow down, take care of our own, only allow those with special skills or education to immigrate, those who can help bolster our nation, we CANNOT keep adding to the problem and just expect it to solve itself.

just to make sure you read it... no truer words said...
Milton Friedman, “It’s just obvious you can’t have free immigration and a welfare state.”
Thats it...
Dude, ALL of my friends have different opinions than me. Many are more liberal, many are more conservative. I beleive that this makes our nation good, a diversity of opinion.

I was actually at an ANTI-ILLEGAL immigration rally just last year. Have my views changed, no...I was there serving as the bridge between anti-illegal and pro-illegal. Here's my article link.

Arrive legally In Order to Receive Rights - Daily Nexus (http://www.dailynexus.com/article.php?a=11644 - broken link)

David Horowitz has even featured another one of my articles. In fact, I was offered to cover events for Horowitz at UCSB.

The article was pointed more "right", the main reason was because that's what my target was. I'm no longer writing for an organization (my spelling and grammar are too horrible for that. My dad was actually a grammar teacher at UCR, yet I have bad grammar.) so I will actually add something to that article. More reform, not open borders, but an easier time entering. A comprimise.

This nation was built on comprimises (slavery notwithstanding) this is what makes our nation great. We have found our middle.

I just want all people living in our nation to be able to have the opportunity to rise. We claim to the be the beacon of liberal ideals and progressive thought. We claim to be the beacon of equality. Yet, our crime stats and economic stats paint a different tale.

My main point is that we should try to rectify the situation. We should try to mend the gap.

See, I realize the global gap since I've seen ALL socioeconomic spectrums.
I've met Netanyahu's top lawyers in the Swiss Alps when I was 13 (I threw up in the bathroom, since I was allergic to yams). My parent's got into a fight with the regional CEO of Air France at the Swiss Embassy (she owed my mom $1000 for gold we bought in Thailand). Last weekend I was in the Hollywood Hills at an ultra exclusive party (I was bored and didn't feel like doing coke, so I left.). At the same time, one of my aunts is a peasant farmer in the villages of West Africa. Currently, I live in suburban SoCal. Agrestic, Mayberry, Pleasantville...these are the images that come to mind when I describe where I live. Suburbia.

I just want to mend the gap a little. That's all.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 PM

45 posts, read 61,262 times
Quote:
Please indicate where in my post I accused ALL Hispanics of desecrating our flag. Fact: There were MANY Hispanics waving Mexican flags, and there have been MANY Hispanics desecrating our flag. I have no idea if these people are legal or illegal. However, either way, it is quite disconcerting. Are you condoning their behavior? A simple yes or no will suffice.

CNN.com - Transcripts

I went to about 5 rallies in two cities(LA, Phoenix) over two days.

I saw very little that was offensive, unless you consider the mere presence of foreign flags as offensive. I also saw more American flags than foreign ones..in both cities.

I didn't see any desecration of flags, and although I saw that one picture posted here, it didn't happen very often or else I'm sure I would have witnessed it.

The difference between the marchers, and the counter-protesters(more like hecklers from what I witnessed), is that the number of marchers is much much bigger than that of the counter-protesters.

So of course some bad elements are going to get in there. I'm speaking on the abundance of red flags, and extremists, all of which I saw appeared to be English speaking more than likely Americans.

In Phoenix, the organizers the march told me about their irritation regarding anarchists(most of which at the rally were White with a couple Blacks and Hispanics) that usually join rallies and cause trouble. But they admit there's nothing they can do about it.

With that said, I very much doubt that the person in the photo desecrating the American flag in the other thread is an illegal or even an immigrant. Could be, but from what I saw at the event, the people who were most low key were the immigrants. The most extreme tended to be the younger American kids.

Are there many Hispanics waving Mexican/Salvadorean/Guatemalan or other flags? Sure.
"Many Hispanics" desecrating American flags? No. A few people have done that I'm sure, but they're not exclusively Hispanics, and it doesn't seem likely that they would be immigrants.

It's a pity that people focus on one image. That would be like me focusing on the most extreme of the counter-protesters I saw.
This video does the same thing as the other thread on here. It focuses on the most extreme, sending a misleading message.

YouTube - The Association: Joe Arpaio and Neo-Nazi friendship exposed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration