Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:20 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times

Advertisements

1. Regarding what the illegals do in the US, I'm going to use the buffet analogy I mentioned in another thread:
"Think of this as a buffet.

Each and every illegal immigrant enters the country, so think of this as the payment for the buffet (i.e. when a person pays $7)

But the punishments/likelihood of being caught should be dependent on what the illegal chooses to do once in the country; that would be the equivalent of a person choosing what to eat at the buffet. If the illegal works for a restaurant but does little else, then the illegal isn't a high priority. On the other hand if the illegal engages in deliberate fraud and tax evasion, then it's more serious."

2. Now, as for the idea that illegally entering the U.S. is a "gateway" that starts additional illegal activities for a significant number of the illegal immigrant population (i.e. this would be a trend), are there any publications that discuss this?

3. If business owners suddenly found their costs going sky high, I doubt they would allow for their profit margins to decrease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You seem to miss the point that a good many illegals are in fact committing the crimes you speak of...
Illegal immigration is no more comparable to jay walking than shop lifting is to bank robbery. The act of entering illegally is the tip of the iceberg for illegals. Their crimes spiral outward and grow. Atlanta is struggling due to the burden of illegals as are many cities.
As far as business costs. As I said before I question the how much savings are actually passed on to the consumer. Especially in the construction industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 07:27 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
1. Regarding what the illegals do in the US, I'm going to use the buffet analogy I mentioned in another thread:
"Think of this as a buffet.

Each and every illegal immigrant enters the country, so think of this as the payment for the buffet (i.e. when a person pays $7)

But the punishments/likelihood of being caught should be dependent on what the illegal chooses to do once in the country; that would be the equivalent of a person choosing what to eat at the buffet. If the illegal works for a restaurant but does little else, then the illegal isn't a high priority. On the other hand if the illegal engages in deliberate fraud and tax evasion, then it's more serious."

2. Now, as for the idea that illegally entering the U.S. is a "gateway" that starts additional illegal activities for a significant number of the illegal immigrant population (i.e. this would be a trend), are there any publications that discuss this?

3. If business owners suddenly found their costs going sky high, I doubt they would allow for their profit margins to decrease.
I'm sorry, but I just can't wrap my head around your analogy.

It is NOT okay to enter and live in the U.S. illegaly, period. It doesn't matter whether they are washing dishes in a restaurant or running rampant in violent gangs. The bottom line is they shouldn't be here.

Illegal immigration costs tax payers billions of dollars. Most illegals live at or below the poverty line, have no health insurance, and have large numbers of children. Therefore, they have tremendous needs for subsidizing their lives that American taxpayers end up paying for.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:31 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times
CaliforniaGirl: As I explained, police departments have finite resources. They have to concentrate their efforts where there is the most need to.

I would rather go after violent gangs than hunt down a dishwasher who has committed no other crimes.

The Snopes article here dissects a chain mail about the cost of illegal immigration and explains what the illegals get: snopes.com: Just One State - Cost of Illegals in Los Angeles - Illegals are not generally eligible for welfare benefits; in the 1990s they got food stamps and benefits for their U.S. born children. The article explains that the idea of whether illegals take more than they give is disputed between various studies.

Rice University economist Donald Huddle concluded that immigrants, legal and illegal, take more than they give. UC Davis and the Urban Institute disputed Huddle's findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I'm sorry, but I just can't wrap my head around your analogy.

It is NOT okay to enter and live in the U.S. illegaly, period. It doesn't matter whether they are washing dishes in a restaurant or running rampant in violent gangs. The bottom line is they shouldn't be here.

Illegal immigration costs tax payers billions of dollars. Most illegals live at or below the poverty line, have no health insurance, and have large numbers of children. Therefore, they have tremendous needs for subsidizing their lives that American taxpayers end up paying for.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
First and foremost this is the ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION forum. I posted pictures from one rally and they were not intended to encompass all of what may or may not have occurred at all of the illegal alien marches around the US.

What I posted did, however, indeed depict the actions and lack of respect that the vast majority of illegal aliens have with regards to America and Americans. At no time did I claim to have any knowledge or pictures of every single march or its participants.

In the future the jumbotron pics aren't necessary a simple link will suffice.

Oh and if they haven't been deported by this time next year and decide to have another illegal alien parade, perhaps you can tell your friends to print their signs in English so that Americans can actually know what the hell it is that they are delusionally demanding from us.
Vast majority? Really? The vast majority of crimes occurs from those born in the US...so...

The only thing I didn't like about the marches was that I was suppossed to look at apartments in downtown, but Grand was closed (I was looking for a place on Grand). So I put it off. Other than that, didn't bother me one bit.

Also, go on post as pics as you want.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:18 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
But would the costs of deporting each and every one of them, the rise of prices of goods, legal costs, etc. be worth it?

Why not have a different strategy where illegal immigrants are managed (X number targeted, X number kicked out, pressure on illegal immigrants increased by X amount) to the benefit of the state as a whole?

A little search of history will show you Ike already accomplished self-deportation methods by making them so afraid of being deported they removed themselves. We could easily pull that off again.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:19 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,476 times
Quote:
Why not have a different strategy where illegal immigrants are managed (X number targeted, X number kicked out, pressure on illegal immigrants increased by X amount) to the benefit of the state as a whole?

Yes Vicman, that would be better for our economy. But let's make no mistake about how the illegals that get to stay will be treated.
They will work for a fraction of what American citizens get, and only jobs we "truely won't, or shouldn't do" (like cleaning up the trash they leave in our national parks).
These people do not deserve one more penny than they would make in their native country. They should be grateful just to be here and have the opportunity to be a part of our country.
No more 'Mayday Marches'. They will learn their place or be deported.
Specifically...20 milllion illegal mexicans will never truely be americans unless they can make up for their compatriots who have no love for our country.

ps: I'm building a home and have a clause written in the contract that if one worker is undocumented or illegal, the contractor will be fired, lose all monies due....and reported to the INS and IRS.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:22 AM

471 posts, read 587,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Vast majority? Really? The vast majority of crimes occurs from those born in the US...so...

The only thing I didn't like about the marches was that I was suppossed to look at apartments in downtown, but Grand was closed (I was looking for a place on Grand). So I put it off. Other than that, didn't bother me one bit.

Also, go on post as pics as you want.

Umm, yeah since there are MANY more native people here as opposed to immigrants, BUT percentage wise Mexican and Central American immigrant, legal and illegal, are incarcerated at a much much higher rate.

Nice try tho.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:26 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,427 times
good luck buddy. thats her MO. wierd, wild insinuations. lots of exageration and generalization. particularly agains "cess pool mexico"

good luck.

thanks for hte photos. the only image i got from the marches was from a re-routed bus. it lengthened my commute time, but i had no problem with it.

great pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmuychingon View Post
Lol, no offense, but that's a pretty cheap tactic.

The kid was very well dressed with very affectionate middle class American parents.

I don't know if you have children, but when they are at the age when they are beginning to walk, they have a tendecy to bump into things and fall down. Could be a scar he was born with. Who knows?

Either way, it's not necessary to make weird insinuations.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:30 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,427 times
ya, incarcerated on immigration issues.

otherwise you are got your numbers wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
Umm, yeah since there are MANY more native people here as opposed to immigrants, BUT percentage wise Mexican and Central American immigrant, legal and illegal, are incarcerated at a much much higher rate.

Nice try tho.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:32 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
The so-called "protest" against Sheriff Arpaio is back firing.

The MCSO will continue to enforce the law including the laws as they relate to illegal immigration. If someone is in the Country (and Arizona) illegally, they will be caught and deported.

And other jurisdictions around the country are doing the very same thing as MCSO.

And more are coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration