Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:02 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times

Advertisements

The architecture of Lancaster, PA sort of reminds me of St. Joseph, MO. The eastern cities tend to have a lot of old brick buildings, high density apartment buildings, tall church structures, and more cape cod houses. You can not really compare Lancaster, PA with Des Moines, IA obviously. Most of the smaller towns in PA fall into the rustbelt category, and many towns have lost quite a few jobs and people for the last 25-50 years. Another item of note that idenitifies Lancaster, PA as more of an eastern town is that enormous Norway Spruce tree on the right side of the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 01:03 AM

310 posts, read 1,282,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Went to see Celtic Women last night. Bon Jovi's coming, so is Red Hot Chili Peppers next spring...

what? RHCP was here LAST spring. They have no 2008 tour dates set, nor are there really any plans for another north american tour.

<----RHCP fanatic.

Oh and Iowa City is 1000000000 times more fun than Des Moines

Old 11-18-2007, 11:50 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan View Post
it is a pity that not everyone is like you and likes to sit at home, play with themselves and be entertained by watching paint dry. if that is what you like to do, then good for YOU. but others might not like to do that kind of stuff, so until something amazing happens, stay in iowa and i'll be having fun in the rest of the world.
ROFLMAO!!

Right on! Everybody here points to Des Moines as the "big" city with oogles of stuff to do. The big city is not even 200,000 people last time I checked. And, like you said before there's much much MUCH more to do in your kneck of the woods outside of Lancaster. Philly, Baltimore, Harrisburg...NEW YORK are all really close. Once you leave des moines you have to drive 2+ hours to see any thing besides corn, soybeans and cattle.

If you are into the clubs and big city type stuff why on eartth would you come to this backward state. What is so bad about where you live? Also not sure what people say when IA is so great because there's nature everywhere. "I can hear the birds tweet and the flowers grow" WTF? Is PA devoid of oxygen? There's plenty, if not more natural beauty in a place like eastern Penn.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:40 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
^ umm...wow.

I love people from NYC, Philly, Chicago or California coming along and saying Iowa is boring cause it's not NYC, Philly, Chicago or California.

OF. COURSE. IT'S. NOT.

No one ever said it was. It's an awesome state though, and there are things to do there. The 3 million people who are there seem pretty happy when I drop by to visit, and they're not living in the dark ages.

Just cause someone's not living someone else's life that's apparently "so much better", doesn't mean they're worthless and wasting their own life.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:08 PM

459 posts, read 2,227,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
ROFLMAO!!

Right on! Everybody here points to Des Moines as the "big" city with oogles of stuff to do. The big city is not even 200,000 people last time I checked. And, like you said before there's much much MUCH more to do in your kneck of the woods outside of Lancaster. Philly, Baltimore, Harrisburg...NEW YORK are all really close. Once you leave des moines you have to drive 2+ hours to see any thing besides corn, soybeans and cattle.

If you are into the clubs and big city type stuff why on eartth would you come to this backward state. What is so bad about where you live? Also not sure what people say when IA is so great because there's nature everywhere. "I can hear the birds tweet and the flowers grow" WTF? Is PA devoid of oxygen? There's plenty, if not more natural beauty in a place like eastern Penn.
Please do expand on how you perceive Iowa as "backwards". Be as specific as you care to and please do provide examples.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:58 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ umm...wow.

I love people from NYC, Philly, Chicago or California coming along and saying Iowa is boring cause it's not NYC, Philly, Chicago or California.

The thing that kills me about people saying things like that is that nine times out of nine the people who say things like that aren't even from those cities, they're from somewhere in the sticks in the general area of those cities.

At least I don't have to "rep" a city I don't even live in.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
ROFLMAO!!

Didja' notice this poster is from Marion? Uh, yeah, really knows them big cities, yup! Ronnie in disguise with glasses?

Old 11-18-2007, 08:48 PM

204 posts, read 1,012,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ umm...wow.

Does anybody not see the irony here?

What the NYC/Chicago/California gang says about Iowa, is the exact same tactic some Des Moines people have taken against smaller cities elsewhere in the state. I've seen threads about how Cedar Rapids is lame and boring because it's not as big as Des Moines, has less shopping malls, no "AAA" baseball, etc.

Bigger does not mean better. Bashing somebody else's hometown does not automatically make yours better.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Good point. I'm probably as guilty as the next guy. Funny how easy it is to get carried away...

Old 11-19-2007, 10:03 PM

206 posts, read 382,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Where in Iowa do you live? It sounds great.
We're in Mt. Vernon, which is a great little college town in its own right and also 20-45 minutes from Marion/Cedar Rapida and Iowa City. The two things I've told friends from California and Michigan to describe MV are that it's like Star's Hollow except with a college instead of a Town Square, and that it feels like a beach town but without the beach.

P.S. I've lived in mid-Michigan, L.A. (L.A. proper--Palms district, about 5 miles inland from Venice Beach) and Honolulu, and now Iowa, and I've loved them all. They're all very different, each has different things going for it and different drawbacks, so different people are going to prefer different places. But probably the two biggest factors for me in how much I enjoy a place is my attitude toward the place (it took me a while to come around to L.A.), and the attitude of the people around me. Obviously Iowa has a lot of boosters , so I think that most people who come here who want to like Iowa, will like Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa