Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:03 PM

17 posts, read 102,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieHawkMom View Post
Oh my. I could say so much but...I don't like where this topic invariably leads.
I will only say that anyone yelling, muttering to themselves, loitering suspiciously etc.is cause to be on the alert. But a doo rag or saggy pants or a jacket of any sort is not a reason to be apprehensive.
There are black males in this city that dress in this way because it is their expression and fashion statement. I am not the least bit worried to be near them. If I see someone walk past wearing a CRMC jacket ( the Cedar Rapids biker 'gang' ) I feel SAFE. The Chrome Horse Saloon is filled with people who look a certain way but who are among the kindest and most giving folks in the community.
You just have to eliminate appearance from your statement and limit judgment to behavior and we're on the same page : )
To make things even more interesting - my family is CRPD. I have a better idea than most what goes on in this town and by whom.
It's not a "fashion statement" it is a proxy indicator of someone more likely to commit a criminal act. If a white person walks down the street in a white hood and a white robe would you call it a "fashion statement"? If that person is yelling to themselves, refusing to pay full price for an item at a store, or harassing people as they walk by, then that is an indicator of suspicion regardless of race. It just so happens in this part of Iowa, most of the people meeting these descriptions and committing a majority of the crimes, are of a certain race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I carry myself like the average guy. I've seen White guys walk around with pants sagging and I never saw people fear them as Blacks who do the same thing are feared. Loud behavior, I avoid that no matter who does it.

I've actually walked into a bookstore wearing a suit. I got followed around the store by the store clerk, and she wouldn't quit. She followed no one else around, just me. Finally, I just left the store, and never went back I carried myself like a professional and still got treated poorly. That kind of stuff can happen. It isn't rational or logical. However, people will do illogical and prejudicial things.
I absolutely agree, that Iowa people, despite being exposed to diversity have no idea how to handle it, as I have heard some of the most ridiculous comments I've heard in my life between Iowa white people and people of any kind of diverse ethnic backgrounds. That being said, when a group of black youth standing outside of the transit center start yelling at each other and yelling at people walking by and harassing people standing their for cigarettes, it doesn't exactly help race relations in eastern Iowa and does nothing but add oil to the flame.

My point is that demeanor says everything. After living in racially diverse cities I am on heightened alert for anyone of any race who is considered suspicious. I also distinguish suspicious characters on more than just race.

And please stop with this "fashion statement" nonsense. Wearing clothes in a certain way makes you a more likely candidate to commit a crime or cause a disturbance. If you don't want to be deemed suspicious pull your pants up and buy a sweat shirt that fits. Simple as that. A white guy wearing this attire should attract suspicious just as much as a black or an asian wearing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 11:00 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
^ The question that begs to be asked, what is the "statement" being made with this "fashion statement"?

To me, if you're dressed that way and I'm seeing you on the street (vs on TV rapping), the statement it makes to me is -- here is someone that is probably under employed or unemployeed without much of a chance to change that fact if this is the "fashion statement" they make on a regular basis.

Is that racist? No. It is simply my observation of seeing people in the workplace and how those in our socieity that are employed tend to dress.

In the end, unless you're in the music biz, this "fashion statement" seems like a ticket to being poor. Also, fashion statements are only "harmless", by definition, if the statement isn't harming your ability to make a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa