Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,539 times

Advertisements

I love Iowa. I only live 20 miles west of the western border (Omaha extends from the Iowa border to almost 23 miles west of it) of it so I practically live in the state. I love visiting Des Moines and think the state is very underrated, as most GP states are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 10,270 times
I grew up in CA, my partner is from NRW Germany. We bought a house in Marshalltown a year ago, and here's some impressions of the natives so far.

When I drive to the city dump to get rid of cuttings, 1-3 strangers wave to me as I go by. My neighbor invited me to a fishing afternoon with his family, and we had a fish fry dinner at his place. I needed to go to the airport several times, and a fellow volunteered to drive me and take me back on my return (I insisted on paying him 50 for the 90 mile roundtrip). He's taken to dropping by the house once or twice a week.

I'm writing this in Germany where I've been for 2 months, and my neighbor cheerfully agreed to watch the house and shovel any snow, and I'll do his shovelling when I return in a week.

I've borrowed tools, received rides when my battery died, people have had me to breakfast and dinners, they always ask how the house renovation is coming. One neighbor brought over 40 hosta plants they'd removed from their garden...another had leftover perennials he wanted to give (I paid him gladly a small amount for his favorite charity).

If it was a few nice people I'd be pleased, but EVERYONE is friendly (better than nice). In CA I could count on meeting 3-4 jerks a day...after a year in IA I've yet to meet even one. Initial crustyness is about as close as they can come, and they warm up after that like butter on a hot day.

These are good people, and set a high standard. After just a year I love Iowa.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:47 PM

135 posts, read 226,093 times
Plus one to Jerry/Petra.....i'm originally from Iowa and joined the military and have lived all over the world.....I WILL BE BACK IN IOWA WHEN MY 20 YRS OF FAITHFUL SERVICE IS UP!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2013, 07:29 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times
Iowa is fine... other than the weather.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM

82 posts, read 162,626 times
Iowa also has surprisingly neat things going on in business all the time. We have both local and national/international companies expanding and relocating here all the time. While the overall growth isn't wildfire esque, our metropolitan areas have seen good growth and a very nice quality of life.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:18 PM

412 posts, read 1,153,267 times
I don't think Iowa is all that bad. It's cheap to live and lot of people are nice. The weather sucks and the geography is lame. We can't wait to move to the West in near future. I don't like the cold and lifeless winter months.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:24 PM

6 posts, read 18,738 times
Nothing wrong with Iowa at all. Most people are friendly. I moved away from my hometown of Burlington, Iowa to Muscatine Iowa and now reside in Clarence Iowa. I really like where I live now. Its a very small town where anyone local waves to you. Neighbors are great and we all look out for each others properties when someone is on vacation. Cost of living is very reasonable. Our biggest bill is our gasoline. Only downfall is the cold. Many people around here embrace it and are avid snowmobliers, I don't like cold but i put up with it for the rest of the year. If you can't get along in Iowa then i would say the problem is you. I have been to many different places in this country and have met some extremely rude people. Like previously stated, negative people tend to have negative experiences. My wife is going to get her PH.D in Pharmacy in a few months and we have pondered moving south. After reading alot of the Florida negative posts I think we will stay put. In short if you move to Iowa, slow down, we aren't in a big hurry. I would look for a smaller town thats outside of a bigger city.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:06 AM

3 posts, read 8,850 times
Sorry but I moved to iowa about two years ago n hate it. The people r rude n nasty. As far as schools they r at the bottom. I have yet to have any good experiences here n can't wait to move again. My kids don't like living here. Every one has a opinion n this is just my opinion. I can't wait till iowa is in my rear view mirror.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyme79 View Post
Sorry but I moved to iowa about two years ago n hate it. The people r rude n nasty. As far as schools they r at the bottom. I have yet to have any good experiences here n can't wait to move again. My kids don't like living here. Every one has a opinion n this is just my opinion. I can't wait till iowa is in my rear view mirror.

Yes of course, you have a right to an opinion, so why then do you make a statement like ""schools r at the bottom" which is factuallly untrue. That is not an opinion. That is called a false statement (as it can be quantified) and puts the the crediblity of anything else you say in question.

Second, if you truly intend to be helpful, it doesn't do a lot of good if you don't say what part of the state you live in. It is not like Iowa is the size of Rhode Island.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 PM

231 posts, read 595,671 times
Default please tell me that Iowa is not all that bad

I've never lived there, but I Pheasant hunted there for many years and I really liked it. I guess it might be somewhat boring to some people, but I grew up on a cattle ranch and love outdoor activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa