Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 04:24 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times

Advertisements

This has to be the 25th time this idiotic ad has been posted.

Receptionist with property mgt. experience (http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ofc/2098133600.html - broken link)

How can you expect someone with property management experience for an entry level position? It's a 1099 at that!!! This is why you can't find anyone to fill the position genius!!!

My god, if only we could send these people to Mars. I PRAY this employer one day ends up in the unemployment line, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Quote:
Receptionist with property mgt. experience (Farmington Hills, MI)
Date: 2010-12-06, 12:43PM EST
Reply to: job-yd65z-2098133600@craigslist.org

Front office Administrative Assistant is needed for a fast paced property management office in Farmington Hills.

This individual will be responsible for answering five phone lines and greeting clients. Organization is needed; this individual is responsible for filing and creating filing systems.

Experience with Rent Manager software is a plus. Assist with accounts payable for several apartment complexes. Process large volumes of utility bills for payment.

Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel. Ability to work independently or within a team in a fast paced environment. Must be able to multi-task. Candidate must have a high attention to detail.

Prefer a minmum of two years of experience as an Administrative Assistant and One year of Accounting Related Experience.

If you are a high energy self-starter who is looking for a new opportunity, please forward your resume.

Crescendo Homes, Inc.
29800 Middlebelt Road, Suite 200
Farmington Hills, MI 48334
email or fax to 248-855-6265
  • Compensation: Entry level position
  • This is a contract job.
  • OK for recruiters to contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
PostingID: 2098133600
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 08:15 PM

156 posts, read 317,979 times
Yes, seeing ads for these so called "entry level" jobs that require years of experience pisses me off. If I got a dollar for every time I've come across a job posting in my field (Criminal Justice) where it looks like it would be a perfect fit for me but requires at least a year of experience (but usually 3-5 years), I would be rich. Of course, for those jobs that require that many years of experience, they almost always offer slave wages for them. You really gotta ask yourself, 1. How the hell do you get that experience if no one's willing to hire you inexperienced? 2. Why would anyone with 3-5 years of experience apply for an entry level job? and last but not least 3. (Not really a question but) No entry level job requires years of experience to learn how to do properly! I don't care what it is!

/end rant

Old 12-06-2010, 08:32 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Yup, I just had one the other day that was for part time work for $8 an hour for receptionist/Database Administrator Ummm can we say at oposite ends of the work spectrum.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Yup, I just had one the other day that was for part time work for $8 an hour for receptionist/Database Administrator Ummm can we say at oposite ends of the work spectrum.
Ads like that usually mean they have ZERO idea what a REAL DB Admin does, and anyone taking that job on is very shortly going to find themselves in a world of hurt, regarding expectations.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
This has to be the 25th time this idiotic ad has been posted.

How can you expect someone with property management experience for an entry level position? It's a 1099 at that!!! This is why you can't find anyone to fill the position genius!!!

My god, if only we could send these people to Mars. I PRAY this employer one day ends up in the unemployment line, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
I truly believe that a lot of them mean.... "Entry level - WITH OUR COMPANY - not entry level in their job category.

It usually means that you are going to work your butt off, get NO respect and earn a pittance.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 PM

335 posts, read 1,310,940 times
They know very well what entry level means. Just a way to try and get experienced people dirt cheap.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:59 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
I think entry-level is just a euphemism for "low pay".

Last edited by Stumbler.; 12-06-2010 at 09:13 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 10:14 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
They know very well what entry level means. Just a way to try and get experienced people dirt cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I think entry-level is just a euphemism for "low pay".

Exactly! Entry-level today means entry-level salary only!

But you best be bringing every skill and experience imaginable to the table to ever qualify for even that! But be careful there, because that may just make you "over-qualified".

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-06-2010 at 10:26 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 10:28 PM

935 posts, read 2,410,831 times
Wow, some of these positions that you listed are quite perplexing. I mean, how in the world can a Database Administrator also do the work of a receptionist? Companies are starting to care more about money and less about how well the job is done. There are some jobs out there which require less work to do, so upper management can pile on the work load and combine job titles. However, they have to be careful about which titles they compile together or else you will have overworked employees who would rather deal with the job market than work for the company. I have two friend who quit their jobs because their bosses gave them the workload of 2-3 other people due to lay offs. One ended up finding another job at a hospital while another one is sort of self-employed in a field which some on here would find to be "taboo" even though it's not illegal.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:17 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,503 times
I know what entry level means that in fact is not what they are doing. They do not want to offer OJT or even a living wage. They have jobs with skill sets that do not match or are way over the top. In most cases it would have taken you years to get these skills. You would have had to work many jobs over a number of years to get these skills. They are looking for someone 40 to 60 to work for a slave wage. Your ideal worker will have tons of skills out of savings unemployment and his 401k. He now will be open to 1099 at 10 bucks an hour. Millions of entry level jobs went to China and India now being done for 3 to 5 bucks an hour. What is left of the entry level job market is now done by unpaid interns or part time workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search