Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 04:28 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
what I see and experience in the world around me, chaos, deception, lies etc.. the dominion of sin and satan.
that may be what you see,
but Jews see a world filled with godliness, goodness, and blessing
G-d is good, and there is no place in Creation where G-d is not there. We use our free will to see G-d in every situation.

if a person focuses on "chaos, deception, lies, sin" then that is what they become
wherever our thoughts go, there we go, and that is what we become

that is why it is so important to focus on goodness, and to fill our thought, speech, and action with kindness , simcha, and peace toward others, and to draw close to G-d in every situation in our life.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-17-2015 at 05:00 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 05:07 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Reincarnation is one of the Rambam's 13 Principles of Jewish Faith. I would never trust a Jew who does not believe in all 13.
Where is reincarnation in here:

The great codifier of Torah law and Jewish philosophy, Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon ("Maimonides" also known as "The Rambam"), compiled what he refers to as the Shloshah Asar Ikkarim, the "Thirteen Fundamental Principles" of the Jewish faith, as derived from the Torah. Maimonides refers to these thirteen principles of faith as "the fundamental truths of our religion and its very foundations." The Thirteen Principles of Jewish faith are as follows:
1. Belief in the existence of the Creator, who is perfect in every manner of existence and is the Primary Cause of all that exists.
2. The belief in G-d's absolute and unparalleled unity.
3. The belief in G-d's non-corporeality, nor that He will be affected by any physical occurrences, such as movement, or rest, or dwelling.
4. The belief in G-d's eternity.
5. The imperative to worship G-d exclusively and no foreign false gods.
6. The belief that G-d communicates with man through prophecy.
7. The belief in the primacy of the prophecy of Moses our teacher.
8. The belief in the divine origin of the Torah.
9. The belief in the immutability of the Torah.
10. The belief in G-d's omniscience and providence.
11. The belief in divine reward and retribution.
12. The belief in the arrival of the Messiah and the messianic era.
13. The belief in the resurrection of the dead.
It is the custom of many congregations to recite the Thirteen Articles, in a slightly more poetic form, beginning with the words Ani Maamin--"I believe"--every day after the morning prayers in the synagogue.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:29 AM

Quote:
So is there an objective truth? I see wars, abuse, anger etc. and the inevitable death which no one can escape. That's objective reality. why the world isn't a much better place by now?

Yes G-d is good, that is out of the question. But we are not. the root is evil.
Humans have free will. we make the world a better place by cleaning up our own corner of it. if you have a problem with how G-d is running the world, take it up with G-d. In Judaism we are asked to see beyond surface appearances and bind ourselves to G-d in every place in our lives. G-d is never "out of the question." To say that humans are evil at the root is utterly depressing. There is nothing uplifting or inspiring in it, and it is not part of Judaism.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Humans have free will. we make the world a better place by cleaning up our own corner of it. if you have a problem with how G-d is running the world, take it up with G-d. In Judaism we are asked to see beyond surface appearances and bind ourselves to G-d in every place in our lives. G-d is never "out of the question." To say that humans are evil at the root is utterly depressing. There is nothing uplifting or inspiring in it, and it is not part of Judaism.
Fix yourself to fix the world...

Old 05-18-2015, 09:04 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,440 times
Quote:
Okay let me answer with what I find in Scripture. To be clear, I am not saying anything negatively about how G-d is running His own creation. On the contrary, I try to emphasize how incredibly loving, merciful and patient His dealing is with us.

But first to perhaps establish a common ground, from which to logically assess G-ds dealing with His creation, I want to ask if the Tanakh is authoritative as the Word of G-d for you? Absolute objective truth, not mere words of men but G-d Himself speaking to us through the Prophets? (2 Sam.32:2)

So then let's indeed try and see beyond surface appearances to the truth of the matter, that is the point of seeing behind the surface right? To be able to see the verity of the thing, the root of it. And the Scriptures are all but superficial, they are the very root of truth, spiritually speaking.

So yes I agree we have a free will, and at the same time "G-d is never out of the question", nothing happens outside of the will of G-d. That includes evil, though G-d is not the author or source of evil, He does allow it and even uses it for His own purposes. On instance in Scripture that come to mind is that of Joseph. G-d used the evil in the life of Joseph when his brothers threw him in the pit, to work for good. Genesis 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

The brothers of Joseph by their own free will chose evil in the treatment of their brother, we cannot ascribe any of that to G-d right? Otherwise how can G-d judge us if we are not responsible for our sin?
But, G-d does use our evil to divinely orchestrate His will in the salvation of people (which is the ultimate goal) He uses evil for good! So much good indeed, that through so many divinely orchestrated circumstances in the life of Joseph, G-d used it to save many people who would've otherwise starved to death by the 7 year famine in Egypt and the surrounding countries.

So evil is not the end of things, and evil is not a cause for depression in itself (rather for humiliation because we are the ones responsible), because G-d uses it to save many people. Yes it would be a cause of depression, a very good cause, were it not that G-d by nature is merciful and eager to forgive. But the entire point is, that we are commanded to repent from our evil and return to G-d.

You say we have a responsibility to clean up our own corner of the world, to make it a better place. But does that change the root? It seems like cleaning the surface can help to outwardly make it seem shiny. But you said that in Judaism you rather get behind the surface appearance to bind ourselves to G-d so that's what I am aiming for, not outward good looks or works, but from the heart. The question is, are we able to change our hearts?

Remember that G-d, before the flood, said that it grieved Him that He made us. Because our thoughts were only evil continually. And later Jeremiah prophesies about our heart: Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

But, that is not the end of the story and not a cause for depression because G-d will give us a new heart, a new spirit even. Look at the certainty of that Prophecy, G-d will do it, it's not a maybe. But we need to receive that new heart from G-d, and we cannot work it out on our own. He has to cut out that stony hart, which we can't shake off ourselves.

Ezekiel 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Lastly another example of a Prophet came to mind, that of Isaiah in the 6th chapter. It confirms that the Lord is Holy and indeed the whole earth is full of his glory! But that is again not where it stops, the prophet continues to say that he himself is unclean, not as a rational fact, but with his heart he says "Woe is me!" when in the light of the Lord he discovered that he was unclean, and the people around him were unclean aswell.

How can that be when the Lord is holy and fills all the earth with His glory? Because Isaiah realised
Isaiah 6:3-5 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory. 4 And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.
5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts.

Again right after the exclamation of Isaiah in the face of G-d's holiness, there is again the forgiveness of G-d on display. I think not because Isaiah had done so many good works, but because he had just admitted his sin and G-d wanted to comfort him with His mercy. Isaiah 6:6-7 Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar: and in his hand a live coal 7 And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged.

And after this Isaiah is sent to tell the people that they are blind, the nation of Israel at that time knew not G-d and Isaiah was sent partly as a judgment it seems, not a really uplifting or inspiring message Isaiah was bringing, but it was the truth of G-d. And I personally will take painful truth any day above inspiring and uplifting deceit. Isaiah 6:9-10 And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not. Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Okay let me answer with what I find in Scripture. To be clear, I am not saying anything negatively about how G-d is running His own creation. On the contrary, I try to emphasize how incredibly loving, merciful and patient His dealing is with us.

But first to perhaps establish a common ground, from which to logically assess G-ds dealing with His creation, I want to ask if the Tanakh is authoritative as the Word of G-d for you? Absolute objective truth, not mere words of men but G-d Himself speaking to us through the Prophets? (2 Sam.32:2)

So then let's indeed try and see beyond surface appearances to the truth of the matter, that is the point of seeing behind the surface right? To be able to see the verity of the thing, the root of it. And the Scriptures are all but superficial, they are the very root of truth, spiritually speaking.

So yes I agree we have a free will, and at the same time "G-d is never out of the question", nothing happens outside of the will of G-d. That includes evil, though G-d is not the author or source of evil, He does allow it and even uses it for His own purposes. On instance in Scripture that come to mind is that of Joseph. G-d used the evil in the life of Joseph when his brothers threw him in the pit, to work for good. Genesis 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

The brothers of Joseph by their own free will chose evil in the treatment of their brother, we cannot ascribe any of that to G-d right? Otherwise how can G-d judge us if we are not responsible for our sin?
But, G-d does use our evil to divinely orchestrate His will in the salvation of people (which is the ultimate goal) He uses evil for good! So much good indeed, that through so many divinely orchestrated circumstances in the life of Joseph, G-d used it to save many people who would've otherwise starved to death by the 7 year famine in Egypt and the surrounding countries.

So evil is not the end of things, and evil is not a cause for depression in itself (rather for humiliation because we are the ones responsible), because G-d uses it to save many people. Yes it would be a cause of depression, a very good cause, were it not that G-d by nature is merciful and eager to forgive. But the entire point is, that we are commanded to repent from our evil and return to G-d.

You say we have a responsibility to clean up our own corner of the world, to make it a better place. But does that change the root? It seems like cleaning the surface can help to outwardly make it seem shiny. But you said that in Judaism you rather get behind the surface appearance to bind ourselves to G-d so that's what I am aiming for, not outward good looks or works, but from the heart. The question is, are we able to change our hearts?

Remember that G-d, before the flood, said that it grieved Him that He made us. Because our thoughts were only evil continually. And later Jeremiah prophesies about our heart: Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

But, that is not the end of the story and not a cause for depression because G-d will give us a new heart, a new spirit even. Look at the certainty of that Prophecy, G-d will do it, it's not a maybe. But we need to receive that new heart from G-d, and we cannot work it out on our own. He has to cut out that stony hart, which we can't shake off ourselves.

Ezekiel 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Lastly another example of a Prophet came to mind, that of Isaiah in the 6th chapter. It confirms that the Lord is Holy and indeed the whole earth is full of his glory! But that is again not where it stops, the prophet continues to say that he himself is unclean, not as a rational fact, but with his heart he says "Woe is me!" when in the light of the Lord he discovered that he was unclean, and the people around him were unclean aswell.

How can that be when the Lord is holy and fills all the earth with His glory? Because Isaiah realised
Isaiah 6:3-5 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory. 4 And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.
5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts.

Again right after the exclamation of Isaiah in the face of G-d's holiness, there is again the forgiveness of G-d on display. I think not because Isaiah had done so many good works, but because he had just admitted his sin and G-d wanted to comfort him with His mercy. Isaiah 6:6-7 Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar: and in his hand a live coal 7 And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged.

And after this Isaiah is sent to tell the people that they are blind, the nation of Israel at that time knew not G-d and Isaiah was sent partly as a judgment it seems, not a really uplifting or inspiring message Isaiah was bringing, but it was the truth of G-d. And I personally will take painful truth any day above inspiring and uplifting deceit. Isaiah 6:9-10 And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not. Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.
You meant it for evil but G-d meant it for good....

Old 05-18-2015, 10:11 AM

as a Jew I can briefly answer questions about Judaism. however we are not going to discuss or pick apart why Jewish people believe what we do. Torah, including a vast amount of commentary, provides the instruction for how a Jew does life. Beyond that if you have questions, use one of the many online resources such as "ask a rabbi" or "ask Moses."

also, in the Judaism forum, long pages of quotes may be seen as an attempt to proselytize by other religions, and as such are a violation of the City Data rules for the Judaism forum. For a "comparative religion" discussion, post on the Religion and Spirituality section instead of Judaism. thank you

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-18-2015 at 11:04 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
as a Jew I can briefly answer questions about Judaism. however we are not going to discuss or pick apart why Jewish people believe what we do. Torah, including a vast amount of commentary, provides the instruction for how a Jew does life. Beyond that if you have questions, use one of the many online resources such as "ask a rabbi" or "ask Moses."

also, in the Judaism forum, long pages of quotes may be seen as an attempt to proselytize by other religions, and as such are a violation of the City Data rules for the Judaism forum. For a "comparative religion" discussion, post on the Religion and Spirituality section instead of Judaism. thank you
This the "ask a Jew thread"...TheFlipFlop opened this awhile back, it is pretty much his thread and now you're going to come in here and lay down the rules?...If you don't want to answer a question, then don't answer it...But don't come in here and tell people what type of question they may ask...No one may come to truth without argument, without questions...If an answer comes to easy, then it is not the right answer...

Old 05-18-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
That's actually "repent and be healed" not "convert"....

Old 05-18-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
This the "ask a Jew thread"...TheFlipFlop opened this awhile back, it is pretty much his thread and now you're going to come in here and lay down the rules?...If you don't want to answer a question, then don't answer it...But don't come in here and tell people what type of question they may ask...No one may come to truth without argument, without questions...If an answer comes to easy, then it is not the right answer...
These rules to the Judaism forum were posted by the Moderator on Oct. 15, 2012:

"1. This is the Judaism forum. No posts or threads pertaining to other faiths are permitted.
5. No proselytizing any non-Jewish Faith"

And this was posted by the Moderator on June 20, 2013:

"This sub-forum is not the place for proselytizing or attempting to convert Jews. It is meant for Jews interested in discussions among themselves and for others who want to learn more about this worldview and are interested in posing non-confrontational questions to Jews. Use our main Religion and Philosophy forum if you want to debate the merits of this worldview."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism