Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:04 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
If I happen to see you next week in Corbin, I'll say " howdy"
Sadly, you will know exactly who he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Sadly, you will know exactly who he is.
LOL Well Koodles to dat! Oh yeah and (WE) my wife and I don't sport the twisted hair. Ha! Referencing the other family that's moving here. Ok... taking a deep breath and about to engage in Corbin.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkfamineastky View Post
LOL Well Koodles to dat! Oh yeah and (WE) my wife and I don't sport the twisted hair. Ha! Referencing the other family that's moving here. Ok... taking a deep breath and about to engage in Corbin.

I wish you and your wife well in your re-location.

If time permits, perhaps you could post in the future and give your observations.

Nothing can improve an area's reputation more than someone who " bucks the trend " and succeeds.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:37 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontadow View Post
Hello,

For the 2nd time in five years I have a great opportunity brought to me from a company I admire in Corbin, Kentucky. The first time, I declined the invitation, but this time I am really thinking of taking it.

Shortly after being offered the job the first time, I ran into a woman, also an african american, who did pharmacuetical sales. She ommented that we should be glad we did not move down there because she usedto work the area and that she experienced a bit of racism down there, including getting her car broken into.

I'm always skeptical of just one account, but reading a threat inquiring about Louisville, KY, several posters commented that KY is mostly not racist, just avoid Corbin. This contradicted other posters accounts that the whole state is pretty normal.

As I ponder this decision, racism plays a major part on if my wife and I move to the area. We are both African-American, with long dreadlocks. We don't have any children nor plan on it, so the school system is not a concern for us. We are more interested in knowing if Corbin will be a safe place for us to move?

Also, on a side note, we were unable to find real information on apartments, townhouses and condos in the county. Do people just own outright in these areas?
I fell for this post. This was the first and only thread for this OP. I wish I knew how many ll's there were in the word 'trolling'.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,293 times
I first want to apologize for my English writing is not very good. I'm latina..... Last week i visited Corvin and i have very good opinion of his people and the treatment they gave me. for the first time in my life a fast food restaurant manager come to my table and ask if everything was OK , he was a white man (american). I was in schock... That do not happen here in Florida even in your dreams... I have noticed that there is a tendency to criticize the American people, specially if the topic that is discussed is the racial. But don't mention that is more discrimination from hispanic to hispanic than from American to hispanic....same with black people.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:56 AM

180 posts, read 597,007 times
Well when I worked at Meijer in Lexington, one of my co-workers was originally from Harlan, KY and he was African-American. He was always quick to tell me about experiences he's had, and his friends have had, in Corbin when he would go home. His mom was very sick (she died soon afterwards) and he would go and spend time with her any weekend he could. He told me that everytime he would come to Corbin on I-75, he would haul arse to get out of town there. I don't know why, but he said he never felt welcomed there. I think it's safe to say that Corbin has a reputation in the state that is either warranted or unwarranted. I don't know because I have never seen anything that would tell me for sure, one way of the other.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:29 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
If I happen to see you next week in Corbin, I'll say " howdy"

Well, I was in Corbin on Monday, December 14, and yes, I would gladly have said "howdy" to the black poster who was moving there.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to say "howdy" to him even though I decided to say "howdy" to every black person I met in hopes it was him.

I said "howdy" to no black person, cuz I didn't find a single one on any street in Corbin and in any aisle in Walmart when we stopped to pick up a few things.

The City-data- Detailed Profile that doesn't even list blacks in Corbin's racial breakdown must be quite accurate.

Is Corbin accepting of blacks ?
Hard to answer cuz I'll bet many Corbin residents have never spoken to one and probably never seen one in their city of 8,000+ located right along a major freeway ( I-75) in Kentucky.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:23 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
Quote:

Is Corbin accepting of blacks ?
Hard to answer cuz I'll bet many Corbin residents have never spoken to one and probably never seen one in their city of 8,000+ located right along a major freeway ( I-75) in Kentucky.
Since I'm a local and you're not, I can say that yes there are African Americans living in Corbin. I have seen several over the years. I know, "several" is not a lot. Corbin is just predominately white, who cares? Just a few miles up the road is London, a nicer city than Corbin. Which is where you find quite a bit more different races.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:11 PM

688 posts, read 1,490,035 times
Marmac, or Tarmac, or whoever you are, you sound like a pseudo-intellectual know-it-all. I went to Cumberland College, in Williamsburg, just down the road from Corbin. I saw unfairness of every stripe, but no just about Corbin. Many of the black students of the time I went to college there were from Ethiopia, they would not go into Corbin because of what both some college students said and what some of the Williamsburg locals said. I also saw a very condescending attitude of some of the out of state college students (usually from the Northeast or California) toward Williamsburg, Corbin, and Ky. and Tn. in general (these were by students the first day there that had never been to Ky. period). At any rate, the Ethiopian students, even when it came to Corbin, told me time and time again they would rather be around "redneck hillbillies" than "Yankees" (yes, they said it, I didn't), people from Ky. much more hospitable and "honest" than people from Northern states. (i befriended

Old 12-26-2009, 02:16 PM

688 posts, read 1,490,035 times
Mr. Marmac, just how welcome do you think a person from Ky. would be in "the hood" in Minneapolis or St. Paul, or would a black person be welcome in your neighborhood (The Artist Formerly Known as Prince had lots to say about racism in that area). Also, how well do you like your Somali neighbors (Minneapolis has a very large Somali presence)? If I sound like a smart aleck, by golly, by all means I mean it! From one smart aleck primadonna (me) to another smart aleck primadonna (Marmac) have a wonderful New Year! Peace!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky