Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 04:48 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Of course I understand the migration patterns out of CA. I also understand the tech patterns. I ran a major engineering division of a Fortune 50 before I retired. I would think a third or so of our buyers are Californians.

I lived for just short of 20 years in the southern CA coastal plain. My wife and I used to ride our tandem to Seal Beach. But one of the reasons we ended up in Las Vegas was that we decided to get out of the coastal plain. Simply too damp and misty. Very nice between mid September and Thanksgiving. The rest of the year simply too cool and gray. We actually came close to moving to more inland CA but finally decided that Las Vegas was a better deal. For our first five years here we kept our boat in Long Beach which in a lot of ways was an ideal situation. Could not make that work however with the Real Estate.

The flow of retirees to Las Vegas has gone on forever. We being an example. LV offers better housing at very much lower cost and the escape from the CA income tax.
Agree, why put up with the politics, taxes, regulations, high costs of living in CA when can live in LV at less than 1/2 the cost at the expense of a couple of months of heat (but since elec 1/3 the rate of SD don't really care). We worked in San Diego and are recently retired in Las Vegas and I save somewhere around $45k/yr by living in LV vs SD with taxes, utilities and costs of housing between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 07:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
If you hate Irvine you must really hate sumnerlin, a bad knock off of Irvine.
I am not a fan at all of Summerlin. I get why families want to live there, but it takes forever to get places and it’s miles of bland sameness.

Can’t afford the scotch 80’s, but the surrounding areas are still nice enough and much more character to the neighborhood. I’d be thrilled if the areas parallel to LV BL with all the law offices were converted to residences.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:49 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Problem is smaller cheaper homes are hard to find. Every new house is a gigantic monstrosity.
My house is on the smaller side and it's too big.
"Smaller" and "cheaper" are in the eye of the beholder. What size & price are you referring to?

Old 05-13-2019, 08:26 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Agree, why put up with the politics, taxes, regulations, high costs of living in CA when can live in LV at less than 1/2 the cost at the expense of a couple of months of heat (but since elec 1/3 the rate of SD don't really care). We worked in San Diego and are recently retired in Las Vegas and I save somewhere around $45k/yr by living in LV vs SD with taxes, utilities and costs of housing between the two.
I'm not sure how you are saving on utilities. I know rates are higher in San Diego, but San Diego has an extraordinarily mild climate. My son lived there for a year and said that he never turned on his heater or AC.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:48 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,945,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Problem is smaller cheaper homes are hard to find. Every new house is a gigantic monstrosity.
My house is on the smaller side and it's too big.
Some day, I'm going to create my own new-home builder business constructing only 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, 1.5 car garage, single-story, detached homes, all under 799 sq. ft. . Eliminate the hallway, please, 3 bedrooms connect directly to the Great Room. Main entrance door opens at the right/left side of wall with narrow walkway. When you enter, you will immediately see 3 bedrooms and doors connecting directly to the Great Room at opposite end of side-wall, kitchen at front corner of house, laundry room located in kitchen (stackable only) next to kitchen sink with separate pull-out closet door, powder room left side of kitchen near entrance door, and main bathroom right side of kitchen. One main large drain pipe to sewer is all you need. Most 2-story new homes today can come with up to 5 main drain pipes (why?), and pass the extra cost to you.

I squeeze in over 1,000 brand-new, under 799 sq. ft homes (with only one, single floor plan type), built into one community onto one parcel land, which also easily bond neighbors and make new friends so closely. HOA fee never more than $30-$40 per month with no pool, in addition to creating my own lending mortgage company with the only standard 50-year term mortgage out there. This business will be successful to many first-time African-American home buyers, while uniting diversity. How hard is that...

Will people buy our sub-799 sq. ft. new homes if I charge always up to $100,000 less than any major builders' starting price, because they build the houses too big, that's why? If buzz is strong with demand, and I can afford to build identically and match to DR Horton's Express quality using only one universal 799 sq. ft. floorplan (meaning, everything base option with only white interior paint, no option or upgrade is available), let me know...?

Last edited by waltchan; 05-13-2019 at 02:40 PM..

Old 05-13-2019, 02:52 PM

755 posts, read 399,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I am not a fan at all of Summerlin. I get why families want to live there, but it takes forever to get places and it’s miles of bland sameness.

Can’t afford the scotch 80’s, but the surrounding areas are still nice enough and much more character to the neighborhood. I’d be thrilled if the areas parallel to LV BL with all the law offices were converted to residences.
McNeil estates close to scotch 80's very nice

Old 05-13-2019, 04:15 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure how you are saving on utilities. I know rates are higher in San Diego, but San Diego has an extraordinarily mild climate. My son lived there for a year and said that he never turned on his heater or AC.
Depends on where you are. When I was working, I was right on the bay with a true million dollar view of a boat harbor, and still the building didn't even have AC because it was needed maybe 5-6 days a year.

My Electric bill is about $450/ mo in SD with a pool and 2 EVs without running any AC. My house in SD is about 10 miles inland and it can get hot there in the summer but I very rarely run AC and never at peak. The rates are $0.52/kwh at peak (4-9pm may-oct) and $0.10/kwh 12am to 06am (for charging EV), with the rest at about $0.26/KWh. My house in LV that is about the same size averages about $120/mo with AC, EVs and pool. The rate for LV that I have is $0.11 at worst but $0.044 for almost all use. I use about 50% more elec in LV but overall costs to me is about 1/4 as much. SD is 3-10 times more expensive per KWh.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:35 PM

59 posts, read 54,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
compared to alot of places, the taxes in Texas aren't bad at all..... Las Vegas is on the low end for property taxes but they make up for it with auto registration...
Wrong answer!!!

Property taxes in Texas

Overview of Texas Taxes. Texas has some of the highest property taxes in the U.S. The average effective property tax rate in the Lone Star State is 1.86%, the sixth highest rate of any state.
Texas Property Tax Calculator | SmartAsset.com

smartasset.com/taxes/texas-property-tax-calculator

Old 05-14-2019, 06:25 AM

628 posts, read 397,920 times
Just crunching numbers a little, if I make 30 bucks an hour in LV, it seems like I would need 50 bucks an hour to maintain a comparable standard of living in California.

I loved being in the bay area as a youth and then as a teenager(usually just summers) in the eighties , but I can't imagine trying to return there now without a six figure income.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:05 AM

386 posts, read 261,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Some day, I'm going to create my own new-home builder business constructing only 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, 1.5 car garage, single-story, detached homes, all under 799 sq. ft. . Eliminate the hallway, please, 3 bedrooms connect directly to the Great Room. Main entrance door opens at the right/left side of wall with narrow walkway. When you enter, you will immediately see 3 bedrooms and doors connecting directly to the Great Room at opposite end of side-wall, kitchen at front corner of house, laundry room located in kitchen (stackable only) next to kitchen sink with separate pull-out closet door, powder room left side of kitchen near entrance door, and main bathroom right side of kitchen. One main large drain pipe to sewer is all you need. Most 2-story new homes today can come with up to 5 main drain pipes (why?), and pass the extra cost to you.

I squeeze in over 1,000 brand-new, under 799 sq. ft homes (with only one, single floor plan type), built into one community onto one parcel land, which also easily bond neighbors and make new friends so closely. HOA fee never more than $30-$40 per month with no pool, in addition to creating my own lending mortgage company with the only standard 50-year term mortgage out there. This business will be successful to many first-time African-American home buyers, while uniting diversity. How hard is that...

Will people buy our sub-799 sq. ft. new homes if I charge always up to $100,000 less than any major builders' starting price, because they build the houses too big, that's why? If buzz is strong with demand, and I can afford to build identically and match to DR Horton's Express quality using only one universal 799 sq. ft. floorplan (meaning, everything base option with only white interior paint, no option or upgrade is available), let me know...?
So an apartment complex where you can buy the units?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas