Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 07:04 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,242,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
So, who is enjoying the weather?
Such a tease! I put in a good cd last night and drove the red rock loop and up to mountain pass just to see how cool it could get. 57* at mountain pass. And we get this for a day? Boo. I drive to storms and better weather (goofy, I know).

I love October! We can see 100* temps til then.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:11 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
Ok, I'll reveal my big medical problem.

I have a colostomy, due to a perforated colon caused by diverticulitus. I have to be careful of what I eat, what I wear, and how I move. Colostomies can be very gassy, and produce a lot of BM.

I'm not allowed to empty my bag or change my wafer in the bathroom. I have to go out on patio and empty it in a trash bag there. To change my wafer I have to use wet paper towels instead of washing my stoma in the shower with soap and warm water. I have to stand up to put on my new wafer, which makes it harder to put it on correctly. I should be sitting down when I do it.

I've had bursts while I was working. One of the worst ones was while I was driving for A Cab. I had a burst, and it dribbled down my leg, onto my shoe, and onto the floor. I played it off that I had stepped into some dog poop.

Needless to say I don't tell many people, employers included, about it.

Now you all know my big secret, and why no women would ever want me. I did have one lady friend who was ok with it, but she died of terminal brain cancer when she was 36.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:50 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
Adam, I'm sorry you have had this unfortunate medical situation happen to you. But trust me, many of us have our liabilities and limitations. I believe life is about choices. No one ever makes all the right ones but hopefully when we screw up, we at least admit to ourself we screwed up because of the choice we made and from now on in, we will learn from that. The reason I am writing is to tell you that when I moved here, I moved into Sun City Summerlin and within the last two weeks, some government auditor from a bureau I cannot remember the name of came in and discovered we had 40 illegal workers on our payroll. Needless to say, heads rolled and we are now down 40 grounds keepers. When I head of all those jobs and since I know this from the inside, I thought of you and the possibility it might be work you would be interested in. I understand they pay well, keep you employed throughout the year and it seems like it would be work that kept you moving and independent. I imagine to follow through with it you would call the administrative office here and inquire.

My personal take on your sister and bil, even though not asked, is they try to be good hearted people and do some of the right things but they are limited in other areas. You can only be as good as what you know. I agree so much with what the others have said and I would concentrate on the good they have done for you without having to do them and overlook their mean spiritness and evil mouths and kill them with kindness and being a hell of an asset while in their home.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I had thought of a live-in caregiver position, but that wouldn't work as Aqua is rightfully determined to live somwhere with his dogs, and that position really doesn't require schooling or certification, as it's nothing more than a babysitting job.

When I moved to Phoenix, I decided to bypass the application process, and put an ad in the Help Sought section. I stated I was available for anything and everything, just to get a job, even cleaning houses.

Out of that posting, I was offered 4 positions throughout the Phoenix valley to either be a part-time or live-in caregiver. But with a live-in caregiver position, you're on-call 24 hours a day. It's not for everybody, but it's a roof over your head and 3 meals a day.

As it was, a Chiropractor discovered my ad, and it led to doing back room
pre-Chiropractic sessions, bookkeeping, answering phones, running errands, and, occasionally, doing house work at her house, and babysitting her spoiled children.

I despise applying for jobs, and in this case, it worked out well for me, they came to me, I didn't go to them.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Tried to pm you lvd. We will be in town tomorrow. PM me.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:23 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
JJ: Where is that grounds keeper job located at? I'm not making excuses, but bending over a lot isn't good when you have a colostomy. It's a great way to get a burst.

Tijlover: I was my mother full time care giver, and I could never do it again. It brings back too many bad memories.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:31 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Such a tease! I put in a good cd last night and drove the red rock loop and up to mountain pass just to see how cool it could get. 57* at mountain pass. And we get this for a day? Boo. I drive to storms and better weather (goofy, I know).

I love October! We can see 100* temps til then.
I love Red Rock; the views are breathtaking and majestic. I love that we can escape the heat with a quick drive. The last time I went my hike was cut short when a huge rainstorm dumped on us. Other than the loud thunder, which made me a little nervous, it was great fun! Rain is definitely a treat.

The best thing about Fall in Las Vegas is that I know it's not the gateway to snow and ice. Grab a jacket and you are good to go.

What did you listen to?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:42 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Ok, I'll reveal my big medical problem.

I have a colostomy, due to a perforated colon caused by diverticulitus. I have to be careful of what I eat, what I wear, and how I move. Colostomies can be very gassy, and produce a lot of BM.

I'm not allowed to empty my bag or change my wafer in the bathroom. I have to go out on patio and empty it in a trash bag there. To change my wafer I have to use wet paper towels instead of washing my stoma in the shower with soap and warm water. I have to stand up to put on my new wafer, which makes it harder to put it on correctly. I should be sitting down when I do it.

I've had bursts while I was working. One of the worst ones was while I was driving for A Cab. I had a burst, and it dribbled down my leg, onto my shoe, and onto the floor. I played it off that I had stepped into some dog poop.

Needless to say I don't tell many people, employers included, about it.

Now you all know my big secret, and why no women would ever want me. I did have one lady friend who was ok with it, but she died of terminal brain cancer when she was 36.
Aqua, please know that I feel for you and your situation. It certainly sounds challenging. I know it may be hard but try and look for the blessings. You are alive, you are mobile, and you have family who is putting a roof over your head while you are down and out. I bet it's tough to deal with the back handed remarks but that is actually quite common in families. I was called every name in the book by my brother when I was growing up. It was not always in good fun. He knew how to push my buttons. Try and brush it off. Try to be a good housemate. It might buy you more time. Be diligent and look for a job that would work with your situation. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:51 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Aqua, I had an ostomy for nine months after having my entire colon removed several years ago so I can somewhat relate to what your life is like (although your sister and BIL not allowing you to use the bathroom is despicable). Are you familiar with the United Ostomy Association? They may be able to assist you. Here is a link to their website and their message boards.

United Ostomy Associations of America - Ostomy, Colostomy, Ileostomy, Urostomy, Continent Diversion Support Groups

They also have a local chapter and support group. A contact and a phone number for the Las Vegas chapter can also be found on their website.

UOAA List of Affiliated Support Groups

Old 09-01-2010, 12:03 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Interesting video on the ostomy site. All those people that have it, and they do all kinds of things. I was impressed that they didn't let it get them down and they just continued hiking, biking, crawling through caves, rock climbing, etc. Good for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas