Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 07:50 AM

208 posts, read 350,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Im pulling for Aqua to get a job. Im really hoping he will soon. I dont like to see him in this state
I'm with davie (and the others who posted positively) on this one. Aqua's colostomy bag wasnt his only problem...but it was a big problem. He just took a huge step in the right direction and Im behind him 100% until he proves otherwise. He took the first step to improving his life and my hats off to him.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuse View Post
I'm with davie (and the others who posted positively) on this one. Aqua's colostomy bag wasnt his only problem...but it was a big problem. He just took a huge step in the right direction and Im behind him 100% until he proves otherwise. He took the first step to improving his life and my hats off to him.
My, my....quite the 180 degree turn! Was it the ghost of Christmas Past, Present...or Future?

Last edited by jfkIII; 12-06-2010 at 09:18 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 09:19 AM

102 posts, read 275,319 times
I am sorry I even asked...didn't expect hateful remarks about one who is down after surgery.
Well, I guess I should have expected it from "certain people."

Yes, Aqua has a long way to go, but hopefully his surgery gives him a new lease on life. I, for one, am pulling for you Aqua.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:55 PM

369 posts, read 772,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
My, my....quite the 180 degree turn! Was it the ghost of Christmas Past, Present...or Future?
This was written the year the guy got stomped at walmart.
And now a completely different rant :

Black Friday, Scrooge and the lost message
An Analysis of Scrooge and the Lost Message.

Scrooge has been a traditional demon of the Christmas season. People loathe the character because he opts out of the celebrations. He is portrayed as wealthy yet cheap, cold and hard. Anyone who has the audacity to question the celebrations is labeled a scrooge. The end of the story has Scrooge give in to the “generosity” of the season.

While the original story has a beautiful moral lesson of caring for our fellow man, modern times focus on the giving and mostly buying receiving stuff. The portrayal now is pointedly on how Scrooge bought stuff for Tiny Tim. It’s not how he paid for health care for Tiny Tim and supplied food and fuel. It’s all about the toys and trees.

Today’s Christmas sales hit the shelves even before Halloween. The message isn’t giving and compassion. It’s BUY BUY BUY stuff. The trees, tinsel, and wrapping paper are prominent. Even the so called charities are about handing out stuff. The receivers are not interested in Maslow’s basics – it’s about asking for stuff. And not just simple stuff – it’s about big money, latest and greatest game or toy or unnecessary appliance. If one doesn’t cough up one is a scrooge.

Think about what drives most crime and violence today. It is the pursuit of stuff. Throughout the year we are bombarded with marketing. Magazines and blogs set the stage for the fall blitz about the latest stuff. Buy this, buy that, you’re not “cool” if you don’t buy stuff. In order to get stuff people turn to violence, drug sales, prostitution, and other crimes. People bully and laugh at people who don’t have the right stuff. People are beaten and killed so a person can take their stuff.

Christmas music hits the airways even before Thanksgiving. The songs are about Santa coming with stuff. Songs are about buying and giving stuff. Songs about peace and caring get limited airplay while songs about stuff and Santa get played to the point of annoyance. Everyone knows the words to Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer. Few know the words to I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day. The spirit of giving is given lip service while the demand to buy is omnipresent.

The story of Christmas begins with St Nicholas. He was noted for giving necessary things like coal and food to those in need. The holiday has been twisted into an economic juggernaut demanding we all buy stuff, unnecessary stuff. It has drifted from a holiday of compassion to a festival of greed. One of the necessary things of the day has become the symbol of negativity of giving something useful – a lump of coal.

In Victorian times the holiday was about coming together as families and communities. Presents were simple and the focus was on more spiritual things. In Dickens eyes Scrooge was saved because he came back into his family. In the twenty first century it’s about big ticket items; getting and buying as much stuff as a person can accumulate. How can we as a society justify a person being stampeded to death in front of a department store and say we hold this holiday in esteem of peace? Lives lost just for stuff? Where is the peace and compassion? Is the last of it that santa red fluid on the department store floor?

If this consumer frenzy is the new Spirit of Christmas, If the lust for stuff is more important than concern for our fellow man, If BUY STUFF is more important than giving time and love to our neighbors, than I can only say BAH HUMBUG. Keep your things, your trees, your stockings and decorations. I’m opting out.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
no, its a digestion problem

Old 12-06-2010, 04:36 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,057 times
In other news....it's a great time to live in Vegas! 65 degree weather today and the rest of the week. Plus we had a huge downpour last night that cleaned out the air. Blue skies, 65 degrees, driving with my windows down, and t-shirt and shorts!!!!! Woohoo!

P.S. Good luck Aqua, hope everything is going well for you!

Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 PM

369 posts, read 772,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
In other news....it's a great time to live in Vegas! 65 degree weather today and the rest of the week. Plus we had a huge downpour last night that cleaned out the air. Blue skies, 65 degrees, driving with my windows down, and t-shirt and shorts!!!!! Woohoo!

And I'm stuck at work

Ditto for Aqua.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:30 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
And I'm stuck at work

Ditto for Aqua.
me too... and ditto the ditto

Old 12-06-2010, 09:25 PM

Go...Aqua...Go! You can do it!

Old 12-07-2010, 01:28 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post

The air was nice and fresh today. I spend most of my day outside for work so you better believe I am grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas